Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 7:07:46 PM EDT
Every year or two, I need a reminder of my own dumb-assery and decide to disassembe the guts of my j-frame.

WHY?  WHY?  WHY?  WHY?  WHY?  WHY DO I DO THIS?

I spent about an hour today trying to remember how to put the damn thing back together.  I manged to do it without slicing open my thumb this time.  Is there a special tool for re-installing the trigger rebound spring?  That always drives me up the wall.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, Brownell's sell one:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=774&title=S%26W+REBOUND+SLIDE+SPRING+TOOL

OR....
You can get cute and make your own from an old screwdriver.

There are two types of these.
The Brownell's type has a slot cut in the end to clear the rebound spring pin in the frame.
The second type has a flat screwdriver-like end with a "tit" on the end that enters the spring and keeps the tool from slipping like the Brownell's version.
This one slips beside the frame pin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Next year put all the parts in a big zip loc bag for a few weeks/months and then try to reassemble.  

That's usually how I do it, so I can sit in front of an exploded diagram and crawl around looking for springs to add to the pleasure.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always used a screwdriver a little bigger than the rebound slide spring, and just crammed it back in......I've never had a problem with mine.  Of course, I often cut a coil or two off the spring while I'm polishing the guts, but I've also done several without changing anything.  I just jam the spring into the slide, and press it into place, with the blade holding the spring in place.  Are you sure everything's lined up right?

Papajohn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top