Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 12:07:07 AM EDT
this is kinda stupid and im sure it has been answered before

but i was looking through the glocks and i just want to say i dont really like .380s i mean  just kind of a odd ball round for me but why is it us Americans cant purchase a G25 .380 compact and the G28subcompact is only available to LE?

i know its prob a simple answer but i cant figure it out and its just itching me to know

so fill me in guys
Glockster19
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Well i believe that there IS one, however its not available to the US market, thats what i read in the latest issue of auto pistols that fetures every model of Glock
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#2]
right botht he G25 and G28 are both .380's the compact version the 28 isnt even avail to LE's but the G25 which is the sub-compact model is avail to LE's only what is this all about ?

o ya where can i find a G18 full auto anyway guys ?

Glockster19
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#3]
They do not meet the import point criteria to come to the US.  They also were primarily released to cater to the civilians in countries that can't own a military caliber.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:12:56 AM EDT
[#4]
why would you want one?  They are the same size as the 26/27 and 19/23.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They do not meet the import point criteria to come to the US.  They also were primarily released to cater to the civilians in countries that can't own a military caliber.

+1
One other little point to note, all the mid-sized and compact models have the grooved trigger, while the larger models have the smooth trigger.  This was also a change to get around import rules.  The grooved trigger is a target trigger.   Hence more points.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about now, but I know that at least the sub-compact model was imported for LEO only in the past.  I was shopping for guns in 1998 and I saw one at the gun shop just outside of Chicago.  It was in the display case and it had a little placard that said LEO only on it.

If I am not mistaken, the ATF point system is only for sales to civilians, and a department can still order the 380's officially.  I am not saying any will, but I think they can legally.  There are a few floating around in the states, just not very many.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Isn't the 17, 19, and 26 all .380's.................

OH, never mind, they are .380 long rifles  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

OH, never mind, they are .380 long rifles  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
guys i am not saying i want one of these firearms i just dont have a place for a .380 as you say the others like the "

OH, never mind, they are .380 long rifles"

are pretty much the same thing but they arent quite exackly and i wouldnt want a .380 but i was just in curiosity on bwhy we cant purchase then in the US i know they were designed for LEO in Another country but why wouldnt glock sell them here

my guess like you say is there isnt a market for one with the othe rmodels they have out ?

thanks
Glockster19
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Because of the smaller caliber, they do not meet the import points, so they can't be imported for the general public.  The G26, G27, G33's barely meet the import points so they are barely squeaking by.  Take a look here for an explanation.

www.glockfaq.com/models.htm

Quoted:
guys i am not saying i want one of these firearms i just dont have a place for a .380 as you say the others like the "

OH, never mind, they are .380 long rifles"

are pretty much the same thing but they arent quite exackly and i wouldnt want a .380 but i was just in curiosity on bwhy we cant purchase then in the US i know they were designed for LEO in Another country but why wouldnt glock sell them here

my guess like you say is there isnt a market for one with the othe rmodels they have out ?

thanks
Glockster19

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
why would you want one?  They are the same size as the 26/27 and 19/23.

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#12]
you guys never stop and read you just rear half way through

i said i wouldnt want one i was just wondering why they cannot be placed on the us market and that question has already been answered

this isnt a post saying i want to buy a .380 glock

IT WAS JUST CURIOSITY ON MY PART AS TO WHY THEY CANNOT BE SOLD AND WE HAVE FIGURED THAT OUT ALREADY
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
you guys never stop and read you just rear half way through

i said i wouldnt want one i was just wondering why they cannot be placed on the us market and that question has already been answered

this isnt a post saying i want to buy a .380 glock

IT WAS JUST CURIOSITY ON MY PART AS TO WHY THEY CANNOT BE SOLD AND WE HAVE FIGURED THAT OUT ALREADY

Onward to your passing question about G18's.  All were imported after 1986.  You ain't getting one.  No way.  No how.  Not a chance in hell.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Because we aren't arthritic chicks or Europeans.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#15]
O but what if i said  there might be a way for me to get my hands on one of coarse i wouldnt beable to "own it" but i could shoot it

haha stur the brain allittle

anyway im sorry for the little flame there its just everyone kept saying the same thing  and all the real question was is why cant we buy the 3880 which was answered after awhile

thanks guys
Glockster19
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
this is kinda stupid and im sure it has been answered before

but i was looking through the glocks and i just want to say i dont really like .380s i mean  just kind of a odd ball round for me but why is it us Americans cant purchase a G25 .380 compact and the G28subcompact is only available to LE?

i know its prob a simple answer but i cant figure it out and its just itching me to know

so fill me in guys
Glockster19

In order for the Glock 25 and 28 to function with the low powered .380, the basic Glock design had to be re-designed as a blow-back operated pistol. Thus having an un-locked breech, they fall below the importation points requirements for the United States. This is also thought to be the reason Glock does not produce a .22LR pistol.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#17]
10/4 thats the kind of answer i was looking for,
Glockster19
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Because we aren't arthritic chicks or Europeans.

because they are blow back, you should feel more impulse than a 9mm with a locking Bbl
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#19]
But doesn't glock produce the receivers domestically anymore? Wouldn't this bypass the importation requirements?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#20]
You have to wonder: why did they ban a handgun simply because it is LESS powerful than it's identical counterparts?

I know that almost no gun control measures are logical, but this just doesn't make sense at all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
But doesn't glock produce the receivers domestically anymore? Wouldn't this bypass the importation requirements?

Although they did make an announcement that they have the capability, I don't think they are beginning to make the receivers here until later this fall.  I don't know what the hold up was.  Probably some red tape paperwork.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You have to wonder: why did they ban a handgun simply because it is LESS powerful than it's identical counterparts?

I know that almost no gun control measures are logical, but this just doesn't make sense at all.

I believe it originally had to do with the smaller physical size that you can make in the smaller calibers.  They did not want the market flooded with small caliber handguns from outside the country.  They figured we had a big enough "problem" with the domestically produced saturday night specials and or pocket guns.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I just talked with the District Mananger yesterday, he said the G22 & G23 receivers are now being produced in the US.

If someone did have the .380s they might look like this
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just talked with the District Mananger yesterday, he said the G22 & G23 receivers are now being produced in the US.

If someone did have the .380s they might look like this
img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/G25-G28z.jpg

Are those yours?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Are those yours?

They belong to a friend of mine.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are those yours?

HotRod, you never cease to amaze me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:09:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are those yours?

You must have some cool friends
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Does anyone know if you can legally convert a G19 to .380?  I tried a search but didn't find anything.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#29]
You'll shoot your eye out!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if you can legally convert a G19 to .380?  I tried a search but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

Why would you want to?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#31]
ya why would you want to besides the fact that you would just beable to say you have one to me .380's arent cool i just started this thread cause i was just wondering and as a few of the exsperts enlightened me on why they werent in the U.S

i have shot a few .380's and it didnt take me to long to figre out that they werent my kind of caliber  maybe it was the gun but it was hard to hit a stump with one let alone a paper target at 20 yards

does anybody know how the Glock .380's shoot? and accuracy at all?

take it easy guys
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if you can legally convert a G19 to .380?

Sure, but it will be a single shot. The 380 does not have enough pressure to cycle a locked breach.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Those are the ones made from ceramic that can defeat metal detectors.
Americans are just too corrupt to properly own them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Guys, thanks for the responses on the .380 conversion.

Why do it?  I want something that my wife can handle (defensively) but she's not built quite as beefy as you guys!  hanks
Anyway, I already have a handful of .45ACP Glocks for myself and I got the M19 as a 'play toy'.  While my wife can certainly handle plain target shooting with this piece, but observing her technique leads me to want her to try something just a little lighter for defensive applications.  She has a very whispy frame and shooting that M19 looks like a .50AE in her hands.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Under 1968 GCA, it is considered a "Saturday Night Special".

FWIW, the Glock 28 Glock 25 has enough import points NOW (with new loaded chamber indicator), it would be importable if Glock chose to go that route. Glock 25 Glock 28 is still short of points.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd by a Glock 25 if I had the extra money and the oppertunity. Why? Neat little collections item I suppose. Also, it wouldn't be totally wasted, I imagine it would be a decent plinker at the range.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

And it costs more than you make in a month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top