Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
2/21/2020 11:35:28 PM
Posted: 9/28/2007 7:43:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2007 7:54:38 AM EST by all4freedom]
My first 1911 experience was about 8 years ago when my uncle left his Series 70 Colt with me from Thanksgiving to Christmas. He wasn't a big gun cleaner so it was unreliable. I gave it a good cleaning and it ran like a hoss after that. It was bone stock but I was smitten.

Now I have been thinking about getting in the 1911 market (I'm a Glock man, don't hate) but every one I've handled just feels wrong! Springer, some Kimbers, SW.

What I have found I don't like are...

Ambi safeties
Sharp checkering on the front strap
Extreme beavertails
I'm unsure about steel vs aluminum frames, I'll have to read on that

The Kimber Pro Carry has had my eye for several years. This will be a part time carry gun.

What do I need to do to find that 1911 that just feels right? I really want one. I just bought an engagement ring and I need to make myself feel better.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:11:53 AM EST
Check out the Colt 1991 series. Either a Commander or a Gov. size. Or, Colt has re-issued the 70 sers Gov. One of those will feel like your relative's gun.

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:21:13 AM EST
Just keep hunting. There are aboout a gazillion 191 makers out there now a days. You will find the one that you like eventually. We can all recommend our prefferred brands/models, but ultimately you just have to fell em all and go for it. Try going to a Sportsmans warehouse, or a bass pro shop, or some other big box outdoor store where they ahve a big selection. Go during a slow time, that way the salesman isn't all worried about other customers as you handle that 5th or 6th 1911 ;)
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:13:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:13:45 AM EST
The shop/range where I took my CCW class had a nice selection. Perhaps I need to make a trip.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:15:15 AM EST
height=8

Springfield Mil Spec

san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/081672000/81672606/pix3814708687.jpg

Check!

Got one but with Novak sights. The Mil-Spec sight are too small and uselss.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:26:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By Stazi:

Springfield Mil Spec

san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/081672000/81672606/pix3814708687.jpg

Check!

Got one but with Novak sights. The Mil-Spec sight are too small and uselss.

I disagree. They are very visible 3 dots. You may be thinking of the GI.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:57:57 AM EST
I'm running Novak lo-mount on all three of my 1911's, It's the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 1:59:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2007 2:07:11 PM EST by pulpsmack]

Originally Posted By all4freedom:
My first 1911 experience was about 8 years ago when my uncle left his Series 70 Colt with me from Thanksgiving to Christmas. He wasn't a big gun cleaner so it was unreliable. I gave it a good cleaning and it ran like a hoss after that. It was bone stock but I was smitten.

Now I have been thinking about getting in the 1911 market (I'm a Glock man, don't hate) but every one I've handled just feels wrong! Perfectly understandable... you were abandoned in the woods and were raised by wolves... thus, comfortable civilization feels unnatural to you

Springer, some Kimbers, SW.

Ambi safeties
Extreme beavertails

The Kimber Pro Carry has had my eye for several years. This will be a part time carry gun.

What do I need to do to find that 1911 that just feels right? I really want one. I just bought an engagement ring and I need to make myself feel better.

What you really need to do is go and shoot the damned things. I am listening to your complaints about the 1911 and taking your gripes at face value, this would seem like the cure to all that ails you:

My Pre-80 Combat Commander made in 1977

The problem is I am not sure your gripes should be taken at face value (yet). This Commander has a smooth frontstrap, a standard safety, a completely diminished grip safety tang, and offers a little something different than a standard 5" 1911. The issue is how does this configuration actually feel inside the waistband and on the firing line? The ambi issue is understandable to a righty, as is the checkering to tender hands, used to grasping that Playskool busybox. Both offer advantages that you can always take advantage of later in the future (if ever). The issue with a beavertail OTOH, is like your reaction to the beautiful single action trigger with no take up, or the grip angle difference.... It feels unnatural to Glock-trained hands, but these opposite of these things are what other people complain about regarding Glocks. Also, try shooting with a diminished tang, or a standard tang grip safety and see if that tattoo on the web of your hand strikes your fancy.

You should take advantage of rental services and the good nature of 1911 shooters in your community to get a feel for what works in execution. The 1911 that feels nice light, and unobtrusive over the dealer's counter may feel like a real SOB on the firing line. This is really the best advice one can give/get on the subject, IMO: shoot as many as you can beforehand, and take note of what's on the gun and how it feels. An aluminum frame carries beautifully, (as do more compact 1911s) but the savings in weight and dimensions comes with the cost of shootability, durability, and/or reliability.

I think the best two weapons to compare, would be a Springfield Loaded in 5" and either the Colt 1991 Commander, or the Springfield Champion. This gives you the opportunity to compare a good entry-level "bells and whistles" 1911 with an "intermediate-sized" one.

Of the Big Three, I recommend the SA over the Colt or the Kimber. Kimber is not built to combat specs, making for a very tight "solid" feeling 1911. The drawback is any deviation in non-conforming parts makes reliability issues more likely than a looser "combat" pistol. Kimber also uses a Swartz safety, which in technical terms, blows goats. Colt makes reliable American-made pistols, but I have found you really have to know what you are looking for (and have the ability to inspect the weapon carefully) if you want one of theirs. I also don't like the series 80 firing pin safety they feature on all of their 1911s (except for their "custom shop" pistols). Springfield is the compromise between the two. It's got more bells and whistles than the standard Colt, but it is made more like a combat pistol than the Kimber. Finally, the annoying safety (ILS) SA has can be removed with a simple parts swap, unlike Colt and Kimber.

So, take your time comparing what feels best and what shoots best for your needs. I am sure you will always respect both the 1911 and Glock designs, but once you get used to the 1911 design I assure you, you will be hard-pressed to jam the Tupperware in the waistband, once you get used to the smoothness of JMB's finger of death.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 4:11:24 PM EST

Ambi safeties
Extreme beavertails

Count your lucky stars, you like basic 1911s. You could be in love with Nighthawks...
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 4:55:36 PM EST
As others have already stated, go with a plain jane springfield armory milspec government model. I bought one back in 2003 and it has turned out to be one of the best buys that I have EVER made.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 6:42:09 PM EST
Handled some today. Think I may be getting closer. I would like to have something a little more than just a plain jane base model, but don't need all the bells and whistles, cheese graters, etc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 6:57:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 7:03:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By SGB:

Handled some today. Think I may be getting closer. I would like to have something a little more than just a plain jane base model, but don't need all the bells and whistles, cheese graters, etc.

www.silversfirearms.com/Photo's/26810%20(1).jpg

Man must be a fuckin' mindreader.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 7:16:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By FreeAmerican:
Check out the Colt 1991 series. Either a Commander or a Gov. size. Or, Colt has re-issued the 70 sers Gov. One of those will feel like your relative's gun.

1991A1 Commander....

but then again.....some people you just can't reach...................................
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:29:30 PM EST
Try a 1911 with flat Main Spring Housing vs an arched one. There is the possibility that they just aren't for you though. I always wanted to like Smith 3rd gen semi-autos, but every six months or so I handle one just to make sure, and damn it they just don't work for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:28:57 PM EST
I dunno. I don't like them either. The accuracy is good, the rest not so good.

Take off all those fancy safeties and they might be okay.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 6:10:03 PM EST

That is nice. Replace that ambi safety with one like the Colts and Springer above and we may be in business. Stainless of course.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 2:19:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sique:
I dunno. I don't like them either. The accuracy is good, the rest not so good.

Take off all those fancy safeties and they might be okay.

Take the Colt spirit, then take all of the "fancy safeties" off, make the frame out of plastic, and you will have this castrated pony:

They tried it and it failed miserably. The 1911 is extremely accurate, reliable, and with the 45 ACP, shoots one of the best rounds.

To the OP, there are so many things that can be done to a 1911 to make it fit you. Go out, talk to people, and try to shoot as many 1911's as you can.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 2:57:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By texantillimdead:
Take the Colt spirit, then take all of the "fancy safeties" off, make the frame out of plastic, and you will have this castrated pony:

Yikes, that's too much. I just want one without the grip safety. Interesting that they tried that though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 3:19:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By texantillimdead:
Originally Posted By Sique:

My brother bought one when they first came out. He bought a Sigma, too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 10:17:35 AM EST
Grip safety is a passive safety.

However, if you don't want it that bad, it can be pinned shut or replaced with "The Answer."
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 3:25:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By TexasRifleman:

However, if you don't want it that bad, it can be pinned shut or replaced with "The Answer."

the answer???? 42?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:19:50 AM EST

Ambi safeties
Extreme beavertails

Well looks like you want a GI or Mil-Spec. I like my SA Milspec and has been 100%.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:33:02 AM EST

Ambi safeties
Extreme beavertails

Take a look at the different 1911 and 1911A1 clones (Colt WWI and WWII repros, Springfield GI and Mil. Spec., Auto Ordnance, Rock Island or Norinco). They have everything JMB intended and none of the things you don't like. IMO, the Springfield Mil. Spec is really nice, it just adds better sights and a lowered and flared ejection port to the 1911A1.

FWIW, I love my Springifeld GI, but I've fiddled with it some (I got rid of the non-standard mainspring housing and components and replaced most of the MIM small parts with top quality machined ones).
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:34:21 AM EST

+1

I lurves mine.

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 11:52:55 AM EST
To the OP. Why don't you find a series 70 colt like the one you had?????? I know they're out there. I really don't understand the question. I don't know what's not to like about a beavertail though. My hand sure like's it better. If you don't use a real high grip you don't need one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:10:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By polik6887:

Originally Posted By TexasRifleman:

the answer???? 42?

www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/novak_081406/
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:37:40 AM EST
lawrence a love
juneau alaska

say how are you doing my name (above) and to get my attention always called LARS so i just got a chuccle when i seen my name and i was what i dont remember this.
then i looked at the rest and got a chuckle.
i have a 1911a1 trp w/full length guide ,bull barrel,full length picitinney rail.

i have had my pistol down at
survival sheaths systems
robert hubblebaugh
info@survivalsheath.com

i am having him make me up a shoulder holster for and without a light;this way i can change out any time and am patiently awaiting.
yea well hello.

lars
llove@gci.net
juneau alaska
Top Top