Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2005 9:32:34 PM EDT
Just wondering if there is some shooting technique that I don't know about that utilizes the front of the trigger guard.

CW
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:02:31 AM EDT
[#1]
With a two handed-grip, wrap the index finger of the non-shooting hand around it. It may help you with stability.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:01:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Once upon a time it was believed that you should use the technique v_g describes above.  Go to any shooting school and they'll tell you to keep the index finger wrapped tightly around the frontstrap over your firing hand along with the rest of the fingers of your support hand.  Watch any top level IPSC or IDPA shooter and you'll see them using the same method the schools teach.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:02:12 AM EDT
[#3]
grooves and serrations look cooler on guns
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks one and all. I think I'll go play with the "once upon a time" technique just to see how it works.

CW
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks one and all. I think I'll go play with the "once upon a time" technique just to see how it works.

CW

I've used that grip plenty of times.  It can help reduce the "muzzle flip".  I don't notice significant difference in either grip method.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I did that finger on the front of the trigger guard thing many years ago.  Worked pretty good for me with 1911's.  I have gone away from that technique now, and find I am shooting much better.  I think they put the grooves and checkering on there because some shooters want them.  It makes them more marketable.  And it's fashionable, and a lot of current gun fads are just that, fads.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]
The technique still serves a purpose if you get a bad grip on the draw and will add some control and stability.  Not preferred, but an option if your hands are slippery, etc.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree w/ Hoplo.

Rare is the shooter that will keep that finger securely planted on the front of the TG.

They'll crank off the first shot with their finger on it and then complete the string by either reacquiring the front of the TG or with that finger along side the others.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#9]
When I used it I pulled my shots more.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When I used it I pulled my shots more.

I don't shoot as well with it either, but a shooting buddy improved his groups greatly as well as back-on-target time by putting the finger in front of the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to use that grip too, shooting much better since I stopped.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
The great majority of shooters will shoot worse with their finger up there. However, the Europeans seem to have not made that observation yet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I have heard that a squared-off trigger guard with serrations was a requirement for the M9 pistol trials back in the '80s.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot w/ my weak hand finger along the trigger guard. No problems , but maybe will trey it the other way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top