Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/16/2009 6:18:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 6:18:34 PM EST by DontShootMyDog]
Just got my first gun equipped with Novak's from the factory.

I fail to see what they do that the factory 3 dots Colt, and everyone else, has been been using for decades don't do.

They seem to take up a lot of room, and furthermore, they require a big chunk to be taken off the top of the slide.

I'm not trying to be insulting; I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:20:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 6:21:56 PM EST by mathecb]
They are easier on your hands while racking the slide. Also, they wont snag on clothing as easy. They allow for tritium inserts for night sights.
Just an overall improvement for 1911 sights.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:51:59 PM EST
Dont forget snag free from concealment and they mill a "shadowbow" to keep there from being glare around the dots.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:44:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 7:45:21 PM EST by Augee]
I prefer the sight "tunnel" that the Novak sight creates, the recessed sight plane and wide notch combined with the front sight creates for me a very "three-dimensional" sight picture which naturally draws my focus forward to the front sight. Flat face three dot sights, on the other hand seem more two dimensional, and I don't get that same "falling into the front sight" feeling when sighting with them. This applies particularly well to three dot sights for me, which again help to create the depth with gives me the feeling that I am driving the pistol forward when I aim.

I'm not a particularly big fan of black on black sights, Novak style or otherwise, and the "stacked 8" or Straight Eight sight picture just doesn't work well for me either, as the flat faced rear, with only two stacked dots makes the sight picture even more two dimensional and less dynamic. My other preferred sight picture other than the Novak-style is a black rear with a high vis front sight.

Also, the Novak-style sights just seem extremely sturdy to me, especially compared to the relatively delicate looking narrow flanges of sights like the Colt 1991 or Springfield Milspec. The matching dovetail front sight is easier to work on and maintain for me as well than the conventional stake-on type, with less of a chance of an improper installation resulting in a front sight being launched downrange. I do wish that there was an option for a Novak style rear sight that had more of a bite surface for one handed operation of the slide, like something with the side profile of the 10-8 Performance Rear sight, but a Novak style three dot sight picture. I do, however like the 10-8 with a high-vis front sight.

Anyways, what were you gonna use all that extra space for anyways?

Just one man's opinion.

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:13:44 PM EST
Not a fan. Never have been. Use Heine Straights 8's on everything.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:14:07 PM EST
I'm a 10-8 rear sight guy
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:37:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By Augee:
I prefer the sight "tunnel" that the Novak sight creates, the recessed sight plane and wide notch combined with the front sight creates for me a very "three-dimensional" sight picture which naturally draws my focus forward to the front sight.
~Augee

Maybe I need to clean my contacts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:16:28 PM EST
I don't like the rear night sights because the dots are way too big and the sight body does not lend itself to being used to catch on a belt, etc. to rack the slide. I do use Novak white dot tritium front sights, though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:35:47 AM EST
The Novaks came into vogue because of the then-current school of thought where shooters would wipe their hands over the top of the slide to clear stovepipes. Trying this with regular Colt-style blades would tear up your hands in short order. This trend created a race for snag-free sights.

The sheer size of the Novak rear also means the sight is far less likely to be destroyed when the gun is dropped on a hard surface.

Personally, I don't care for the recessed rear face of the sight. It always seems to make the sight picture unnecessarily complicated in any light. I much prefer the Heinie Slant-Pro rear, which is flat and serrated and matches the angle of the rear of the slide. My ideal sight is the Heirloom Precision rear: it uses the almost-defacto-standard Novak slide cut, has a Heinie-style rear face, and provides a manipulation surface at the front.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:26:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 8:26:51 AM EST by Augee]
Originally Posted By DontShootMyDog:
I prefer the sight "tunnel" that the Novak sight creates, the recessed sight plane and wide notch combined with the front sight creates for me a very "three-dimensional" sight picture which naturally draws my focus forward to the front sight.
~Augee

Tried 'em, got sick of trying to poke my own eyes out every morning.

They certainly aren't the only way to go, if they don't work for ya, they don't work, not everyone's eyes and not everyone's ways of collating visual input work the same way, at least we've got options, could be worse, we could still be stuck with GI sights.

Then again, I've been accused of being behind the "tactical power curve" before for god sakes, I still use the TA01NSN and KAC rails on my M4s!

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:51:03 AM EST
~Augee

Tried 'em, got sick of trying to poke my own eyes out every morning.

They certainly aren't the only way to go, if they don't work for ya, they don't work, not everyone's eyes and not everyone's ways of collating visual input work the same way, at least we've got options, could be worse, we could still be stuck with GI sights.

Then again, I've been accused of being behind the "tactical power curve" before for god sakes, I still use the TA01NSN and KAC rails on my M4s!

~Augee

I was sorta joking around. I don't get as good a sight picture with the Novak's as I do with many other sights, and it looks like I'm not alone. They seem to draw my eye to the rear, rather than the front.

I can go months without cleaning my Oasys lenses- I have a friend who has had his in for as long as 9 months.

I'll probably end up swapping out the rear at some point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:05:01 AM EST
One thing to remember is that many M1911 manufacturers are now using what I like to call "Faux-vak sights". These are Novak-like copies that don't have the rear face of the sight cut in the same fashion, losing the shadow-box effect. Despite what Patrick Sweeney and other gunwriters have claimed, the sights with the serrations on the side are not a new Novak design. They were designed by Da Keng of Keng's Firearms Specialty, Inc. and sold under their Champion Sights brand. Keng's also imported Kalashnikov clones from China as Poly Tech, and more recently, introduced a Parker Hale bipod knock-off called the Versa-Pod.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:46:25 PM EST
So does Heinie make a direct replacement for the rear?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:01:39 PM EST
So does Heinie make a direct replacement for the rear?

Yes. HIs website isn't clear, but I think he lists them under his "ultra low mount" category.
Top Top