Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 7:44:24 PM EDT
Maybe this question has been beat to death, but I am more of a rifle guy and was just wondering.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:09:07 PM EDT
Good question. I have no idea.

It was the 1st wheel gun I ever liked.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:11:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:33:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:54:15 PM EDT
My understanding was/is that Colt is either trying to put their full attention to making M16s for the USA military, and they are installing new machinary to make the gun. My understanding is that Colt was using turn-of-the-century tooling for the manufacture and it was costing them big bucks in terms of labor. I have a Python that I bought in 1988, and it has a very smooth trigger, but it's not worth the asking prices of $1,100.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:34:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
They are in business for a profit?

Apparently they're not. The Python was/is a very good seller.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:38:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:32:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:

They are in business for a profit?

Apparently they're not. The Python was/is a very good seller.

According to who? The 80s through the 90s saw a slump in revolver sales. They have just started to come back up. The Python was always a high end revolver, and labor intensive, until it reached the point that it was made a Custom Shop only gun. It almost always retailed for nearly double what a comparable design from S&W did.

Dont get me wrong, its a fantastic revolver, and beautiful on top of it.

Granted, I'll give you that for a period the Python was not a loss-leader but it was also never a cheap gun. It cost alot to make? Well, it also cost alot to buy. When my uncle owned his shop, he could never keep a Colt gun in stock, no matter what it was...Python or otherwise. I don't think there was ever a time when Colt was hurting for customers. What hurt Colt was Colt's leadership.

If you look at Colt's idiotic marketing savvy in another way, just look at 1911 sales. They have ALWAYS been strong, relatively speaking yet Colt pretty much abandoned them and handed the market to Kimber and SA. Brilliant.

I don't think Colt thinks of its loyal customers much, or customers period.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:21:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 3:23:05 AM EDT by Redman]

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Better question is who would buy them or any other Colt handguns at their last MSRP?

Exactly! While they are not as pretty as the python, the S&W 686 and Ruger line are better and stronger than the Python IMHO. I owned a Colt Python Elite when they were still an overpriced $900(now I think they are like $1150) and my 686 would shoot circles around it.

Oh, and I paid about $600 less for my 686. The Rugers are even less expensive. I personally hate Colt but that is just me. Thier products are not as great as some believe and their attitude and politics just plain suck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:05:09 AM EDT
Colt has SUSPENDED production of the Python and Anaconda for this year, in order to install NEW revolver production machinery.

Production will resume early next year.
There are rumors going around about NEW design revolvers possibly coming from Colt as soon as the equipment is in.

If you can't wait for a Python, I "THINK" that the Custom Gun Shop can still assemble a custom Python for you from spare parts, but they aren't cataloging it or the Anaconda.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:27:33 AM EDT
They keep suggesting they might bring back the New Service. .45 Colt with sytle to boot? Bring it on!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:26:37 PM EDT
Since when has colt been in business to make money? Every major change they have done in the last 20 years seems to be directed at putting themselves out of busniess.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:06:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CFII:
Since when has colt been in business to make money? Every major change they have done in the last 20 years seems to be directed at putting themselves out of busniess.

+1

Colt lives in the red and has been on the brink far too many times. Poor management and stupid decisions will kill Colt at some point. Thankfully defense spending is up so Colt should be good for the time being
Top Top