Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 3:33:01 PM EDT
I am on my Universities pistol team.  We have team shirts that I will wear in public occasionally.  While wearing the shirt people approach me and ask what kind of guns we shoot and I tell them air pistols and .22's.  Nine times out of ten the person says next "Well you should shoot like the Desert Eagle .50, that would be a lot more fun than those little .22's.

Now I have never shot the DE but I have always had an opinion that it's pretty stupid.  First, I think a gun should be accurate, that is why my competition gun are upwards of $1,000.  I don't know how accurate a DE is but I know it's heavy so a extending ones arm for a prolonged period of time would be difficult.  Second, what is the point of the gun if the owner is too afraid to shoot it accurately?  Third, I understand that bigger holes leak more fluid, but a gun that heavy would be a pain in the ass to carry.  

So enlighten me as to why you like the DE .50 if you do, maybe change my mind.

I don't intend to start up a flame war.  I would just like to know why so many people think that is ulitmate gun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a DE .50, bought it more as a favor to a friend that needed some quick money and I got a hell of a deal on it. I don't consider it a "ultimate gun" by any means, I consider it a fun range toy and it is a blast to shoot. At full price I would have never bought one as I don't consider them very practical.  For serious work I'll take a modern 1911 like my Springfield TRP any day over the DE, easier to carry and conceal, quicker pointing and aiming, faster and more accurate follow up shots (due to less recoil), etc... I think those people that think the DE 50 is the "ultimate gun" gets their gun facts from Hollywood.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Nobody here is going to try and change your mind. Desert Eagles are toys. They're fun to play with but they go back in the safe when the real work needs to be done.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
My father in law's DE .357 was pretty accurate at the range. I liked the trigger and I shot some real nice groups with very little recoil. Much fun. However, I wouldn't carry it. Nice range toy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
... I have one but I have to say it's purely a bling-bling Hollywood gets chicks effect thing.
Too heavy for hunt and defense and it's not terribly accurate with the 325 grain hollow-points I reload.

Here she is ...
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The people mentioning it are likely computer game players that think of the DE as the "ultimate pistol", as it tends to be the most powerful pistol available in less informed first-person shooter computer games.  God alone knows how someone could lug that boat anchor around as a sidearm.

If you REALLY want a laugh, play "Counter-Strike", and check out how inaccurate the weapon models and physics are.  The stock weapon animation shows you charging the M4A1 by pulling back on the forward assist (on a left-side ejecting carbine, yet).  Apparently I have been doing it all wrong on my M4gery.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:28:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Accuracy is awesome on my DE.
I love it.
Requires a lot of cleaning.
But I still love it.
It's really not that big or heavy either...

But most people that talk about DEs have never actually handled one, much less shot it.
So don't pay attention to the game nerds and movie mongers. They're usually full of shite.

I recommend only for an experienced shooter.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

... I recommend only for an experienced shooter.

... Whatever floats your boat, but I'm a large guy and an experienced shooter and I wouldn't recommend it for carry or hunt. I will give the Israelis an A+ on the design regarding  assembly and takedown ease.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#8]
They are big and shiny and go BOOM BOOM realy loud causeing the other people at the range to say "wow look at that nut " and thats exactly why I got one :)

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#9]
 What he said.  That's exactly why I got mine, and that's why I like it so much.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine hold about three inches at 50 yards..Yes the recoil is wicked, but you will get used to it. You will not be able to shoot more than 30 rounds during a day at the range. However, I disagree on those that say you can't hunt with it. It's less awkward than a rifle and takes a deer right off of it's feet (mine was at 75 yards with a scope). It's something different!! BTW just try shooting it one handed like they do in the movies or games..... It is really fun wrapping your sprained wrist while cleaning the mud off of it after it hits the ground
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#11]
… OK. This is an absolutely true story.
Several years ago on a nice day like today a good friend of mine, Russ, and I decided to take our Harley’s out for a run up to Prescott, AZ. His ultra-hottie GF (she loved me) who weighed no more than 90 wet decided to accompany us.

… That day I chose to carry my big-assed bright chrome DE .50AE for grins. Russ carried his SA .45ACP.  Once outside of town, we pulled off a remote road to pop off a couple rounds. First he, then I. Russ says “Lemme shoot that big fucker”. No problem, a bit of coaching about its recoil and he was good to go.  After witnessing the big grin on Russ’s face his petite GF says “Let ME shoot that big fucker”. No I said. I warned her about the tremendous kick from my extra-hot reloads and I “kindly declined” her request.

… Just then, all Hell broke loose. She got right in my face and accused me of being a domineering male chauvinist pig and so forth.  So I figured the best way out of her path & wrath was to let her have her way. I racked one into the chamber and removed the magazine. I stood squarely behind her tiny little curvaceous body and instructed her again on control and recoil. After a few seconds she pulled the trigger and the behemoth DE .50AE flew back and at the very last moment I blocked the now-loose pistol from smacking its front post squarely onto her supple forehead.

… You would think I would get a hug and kiss for saving her precious face from eminent disfiguring but NOOOOO

… She proceeded to chew my ass out for letting her shoot that monster. By Gawd her wrist “hurt like Hell and just about lost an eye”. Almost like I forced her to shoot it. Russ laughed out loud and she backhanded him in the kisser. Us three humbled bikers mounted our steel steeds then and road into the sunset home without any further words uttered that day.

(… and yes, if I have enough Coronas and limes tonight I may post a hot picture of her)

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I shot that thing.  That was hella fun!  Wolf was kind enough to let me play with some of his toys last week, and he let me put a few rounds through his DE.  Cool story too.  I'd like to have one just for a range toy too (or maybe a .50 rifle).  Probably wouldn't use it for much else than the range though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you REALLY want a laugh, play "Counter-Strike", and check out how inaccurate the weapon models and physics are.  The stock weapon animation shows you charging the M4A1 by pulling back on the forward assist (on a left-side ejecting carbine, yet).  Apparently I have been doing it all wrong on my M4gery.  

Heh...

CS is the perfect insight into a 14yo's view of guns...

'Twirling' a loaded DE (nice way to shoot yourself), a 'stockless wonder' M249 that's inaccurate as hell, and so on...

Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:28:09 AM EDT
[#14]
my favorite part of the DE .50 is when the brass flies back and smacks you in the face.

busted the lens on nice pair of sunglasses doing that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]
My favourite part with DE 50 is, when I am out of ammo...I can use it as a club!

I like to shoot .50AE when I get bored shooting .45, 9mm, 10mm, .357 Sig and .40.

I shoot a box of 50AE and a box of 44 Mag with a quick Barrel and Mag switch.

I bought my setup because I saw a chick in the movie with big knockers used it!  I fell in love with those and the gun!  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Cool toy. No real practical use, but not everything has to be practical. If you want the most punch you can pack in one gun, get a GLOCK 20 in 10mm. 16 rounds at 700fpe each, and you can actually carry it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Not practical, not a carry gun.  But sure is FUN!!  =)  I haven't had accuracy problems with mine; if you're not afraid of it, it's really pretty damn accurate, just hard to control.  If you're getting hit in the face with brass you likely aren't holding the gun in position well enough, it takes a pretty strong grip.  I can shoot about 20 rounds through mine before feeling any discomfort, and that's only where the trigger guard rubs my finger when it kicks back, I've gotten bruises from it before.  If you've never seen the blast that comes out of one of these, you should.  It's about like launching a rocket!  Not to mention sounding like a cannon going off in an indoor range.  Fun factor: extreme.  Practicality...almost zero.  In .357 and .44 Mag I hear they're a lot more manageable though, and it's pretty simple to change over, I believe all that is needed is a barrel and bolt, perhaps springs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Since you shoot 22lrs and airguns at least no one can accuse you of compensating for a small penis.

I would laugh at your airguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top