Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 4:05:19 PM EDT
I checked out the used hand gun shelf.  Saw a used 1911a1.  The tag said Colt, I figured it was 1991a1 that some one put an arched housing w/ lanyard loop on.  I asked to see it.  NOPE!  It was a USGI Colt 1911a1.  Condition was excellent, maybe a rebuild?  

Here are the details I wrote done.

Slide was marked Colt w/the usual patent dates etc.

Serial # was 905,xxx

GHD inspector marked

P marked by the mag release.

united states property     1911a1 u.s army     This was in small letters at the top of the frame just under the slide, it seemed a bit smaller than the Remington Rand that I had years ago.

The slide was a 2 tone color.  The front third was slightly darker than the rear 2  thirds.

I did not strip it so I'm not sure of the barrel markings, it appeared un marked.

Any thoughts on this?  I do plan to put it on layaway.

Thanks !
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I checked out the used hand gun shelf.  Saw a used 1911a1.  The tag said Colt, I figured it was 1991a1 that some one put an arched housing w/ lanyard loop on.  I asked to see it.  NOPE!  It was a USGI Colt 1911a1.  Condition was excellent, maybe a rebuild?  

Here are the details I wrote done.

Slide was marked Colt w/the usual patent dates etc.

Serial # was 905,xxx

GHD inspector marked

P marked by the mag release.

united states property     1911a1 u.s army     This was in small letters at the top of the frame just under the slide, it seemed a bit smaller than the Remington Rand that I had years ago.

The slide was a 2 tone color.  The front third was slightly darker than the rear 2  thirds.

I did not strip it so I'm not sure of the barrel markings, it appeared un marked.

Any thoughts on this?  I do plan to put it on layaway.

Thanks !

Colt: S/N 857,000 to 1,609,529 = 1943 (S/N's 856,405 to 916,404 were
      duplicated by Ithaca look for "F.J.A." Ithaca inspection initials. S/N's 1,041,405 to
      1,096,404 were duplicated by Union Switch & Signal. Look for "RCD" US&S
      inspection initials.)

Difference in darkness of slide is supposed to happen because of difference in hardness of the metal. Parkerizing will look different due to difference in hardness.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, that is a good site.  It looks like the gun is all Colt, it might be original finish also.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
GHD inspector marked

GHD was LTC Guy H Drewry, Ordnance (I believe he eventually made general officer).  He got around and also had his inspection stamp on M1s produced by Winchester.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top