Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 8:39:35 PM EDT
Hello, everybody:

I've been out of work for 10 months and money is gettting extremely tight.  I've been working odd jobs here and there, but I need to sell most of my rifles and handguns just to make ends' meet.  I will have to sell my good handguns, but I don't want to be completely unarmed.  My question is, would you rather be armed with a Norinco's Tokarev 9mm or a Rossi .38 snub?

Pros and cons:
Tokarev 9mm: I can shoot it extremely well, but I cannot have a round in the chamber due to the questionable "safety" mechanism.  Can only use FMJ ammunition.

Rossi 0.38 Snub: I can't shoot it too well, but it's a revolver so it is ready at all time and I can use hollow points.  I can hit torso sized targe from 7 yards, but the shots are all over the place.

Which one should I keep?  Any advice / opinion would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:58:31 AM EDT
The .38 snub guns have served several generations well for a self defense gun.

The Tokarev is fine for a service pistol but may not be the best choice for a CCW piece.  

It depends on the role you want the gun to play.  If I were going to be carrying it I would probably lean toward the .38.  For a nightstand gun I might prefer the Tokarev.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:13:46 AM EDT
Get the .38, and practice with it. You'll get better. It won't jam pretty much EVER, quick to reload, simple operation, and like you said, it's ready all the time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:27:03 AM EDT
Rossi.  Friend has one.  Have shot it a number of times.  Decent little gun.  

Snubbies of any brand can be tough to shoot.  Practice.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:46:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2003 2:16:07 PM EDT by HardShell]
I sold no-telling-how-many Rossi .38s when I was a dealer & that's what my parents & sister (none of them "gun folks") have in their cars as I write this.

I have never been a good shot with any snubnose, try as I might.  You might want to look for a 3" Rossi .38 - plenty of them out there & there should be little/no difference in price.  I (personally) can hit much better with the 3" and don't find it any harder to conceal.  YMMV, of course.

edited to add:
D'OH!!!  I misread your original post - you are deciding which to KEEP, not buy...  I'd still probably say the Rossi, for overall versatility & the reasons stated above by others.  Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:48:04 PM EDT
Hey, thank you for your thoughts and comments, everbody!  I had a feeling I can count on you all for good advice here.  

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to all of you!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:20:14 PM EDT
If I had $$$$ burning a hole in my pocket & was looking for a pistol I'd probably buy the Tokarev.....but I already have other guns for home defensive purposes & MO still doesn't have CCW (yet).  Given your situation though I'd keep the Rossi & save your milk money for practice ammo or better/more ergonomic grips.  You can learn to shoot it better easier than you could make the Tokarev feed hollowpoints & have a usuable safety.  Condition #3 storage might be OK for a pistol kept by the bed or in your desk but not really good for CCW.  Being limited to 9x19fmj ammo would suck in a defensive pistol.
Top Top