Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2003 9:50:40 AM EDT
Well guys, lately I've been thinking about adding to my collection of defensive/carry guns and I need some help in deciding which to go with next.  

Currently I have a Glock 21, Ruger P90, Glock 27, and a Ruger SP-101.  So I have the large-frame and small-frame areas pretty well covered.  So for my next gun, I'm thinking something in a midsize.  I'm pretty well set on .40 S&W as the caliber, but I'm not sure which brand.  I've pretty much ruled out another Glock as I want to diversify a bit.  Also, I have no desire for a Smith and Wesson.  So far the two choices I've come up with are the Sig 229 in .40 and the H&K USP Compact in .40.  I've never shot a gun of either brand, but I'm sure both are extremely good quality.  Any thoughts/opinions/experiences would be appreciated.  Also, if there are any good brands out there I'm missing, I'd love to hear that as well.  

To the 1911 guys - I'm sure I'll get some suggestions for Kimber, Colt, etc., but I've got two .45s so I'm not looking for another at this point.  Nothing against 1911s, but that's just not what I want right now.

Edited to add: Also, what kind of price should I expect to pay for each of these pistols?  I'm thinking Sig ~ $650 and H&K ~ $700.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the SIG.  You can at least find hi-caps for it, and HK's prices have climbed quite a bit over the past two years.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Three words: Browning Hi-Power

well, 2.5 words

Tony
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
is the sig at $650 new? hell, if it is, snatch it up. thats a good price. if it isnt new, snatch it up anyway (if in good condition).

you wont regret it the first time you shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Springfield Armory XD-40
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:23:28 AM EDT
[#5]
JimmyT, I know you don't want a glock but my experience tells me the Glock 23 is one hell of a defensive/carry pistol when combined with a Kramer IWB holster. I have a Glock 23 with a Bar-Sto 9mm barrel and magazines. This combination works very well as (mms are cheaper to shoot. Regards, Richard
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Like Ben Dover said: "Springfield Armory XD40". You'll never regret it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top