Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/6/2002 8:11:53 AM EDT
I am a die hard 1911 fan but have become interested in revolvers. I have a Smith 686 but I would like to get a .22 as well. The Smith 617 seems to be the obvious choice, but I have heard the quality of these revolvers is not the best. Does anyone know if the quality issue is true, or just more Smith bashing? What would a knowledgeable revolver user suggest for me?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

ARH
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:27:53 AM EDT
I have never had a poor quality Smith and despite all the disagreement over smith and their company policy I still buy Smith revolvers.

When I was more on a budget and couldn't afford a smith gun I went with Taurus and have half a dozen. I recommend them highly if you cant afford a smith. Taurus has a 9 shot 22lr. revolver that is a great plinker and trail gun. It is accurate and trouble free, all for around $250. Ruger also makes a great little 22lr. revolver the SP101 in 22lr. a bit small but still a good gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:42:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ARH:
I am a die hard 1911 fan but have become interested in revolvers. I have a Smith 686 but I would like to get a .22 as well. The Smith 617 seems to be the obvious choice, but I have heard the quality of these revolvers is not the best. Does anyone know if the quality issue is true, or just more Smith bashing? What would a knowledgeable revolver user suggest for me?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

ARH

Look for an old Model 17 S&W. You'll be happy, your kids will be happy, your grandkids will be happy, your great grandkids will be happy, ...
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:41:02 AM EDT
Thanks DOCPIG, and sig_230.
I appreciate your assistance.

ARH
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:35:01 PM EDT
I really like the Smith revolvers they are solid, good quality, and accurate piece, that being said the funnest .22/.22mag revolver I have is a Ruger single-six--I take it you are looking for double action though. Smith also makes a neat little auto (422, I think).
Top Top