Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2005 12:02:34 PM EDT
I was looking for an SA .45 Milspec, but no one seems to have them in stock for what I want to pay.  All the ones on Gunbroker are the GIs, not the Milspec, so I'm thinking of one of the EAA, and I'll just delay the Milspec 'til Xmas time.  

So, which one should I get, and why do you recommend it?  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Steel-frame, full size; it'll feed any type of ammo, is accurate, reliable, very comfortable grip, and has less felt recoil (to me, anyway) than a lot of 9mm's.

Edit to Add: I don't have mine anymore; a friend shot it, and just HAD to have it. he liked it so much, he bought another one just like it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info...one more question...what kind of trigger do these have, sa, da, or both.  I looked on the EAA website, but they don't really say.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a steel frame, full-size as well.  It fits very well in your hand for a wide-body.  Better than an HK or para-ord.  It doesn't feel much different than my CZ-75.  Mine has worked great and been very accurate.  Having ten round mags is nice (there aren't any bigger ones, as no more will fit).

The trigger is SA/DA conventional.  There is no hammer drop/decock.  The safety is cocked and locked.  On the EAA/Witness guns you can put the safety on with the hammer up or down.

If you're in the Hampton Roads area you can shoot mine to see if it's what you want.  I honestly don't have the time to shoot it much, so it will probably be up for sale soon.

Ross

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Great pistol. I did have one side of the trigger bar break once and EAA sent me another broke one. They got it right the second time and it was back up and running. Something to keep an eye on if the trigger feels mushy at any time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Great pistols. I used to have a compact poly .45 and it was very reliable and it was accurate. I now have a 10mm full sized steal version and I have decided I think I like the steel framed ones better because of the wieght and they are more comfortable to me. I would go with the grey wonder finish if you could also. You might also look into a SA GI instead of the milsspec they run about $400 where I am at. The witnesses run about $300 - $340
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#7]

I have a blued one now and had one in Wonder Finish about 10 years ago.  My old one was a solid shooter, and comfortable, but had a problem with the manual safety engaging itself mid-magazine.  Being a lefty, I couldn't solve that by using a high thumb hold on the safety.  I had sent it back to EAA and had my own 'smith look at it to no avail.  I ended up selling it.  My new one has had no such problems and on top of that is FANTASTICALLY accurate.  It fits my rather large hands extremely well and has been perfectly reliable.  Best of all, even with the two extra mags I bought, I only have about $350 in the gun.  I'd recommend trying one, though the SA mil spec's are also coming out quite nice these days and i'm a 1911 lover most of all, though that $325 EAA shoots almost as well as some of my $1000+ 1911's!

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
     I have a blued one now and had one in Wonder Finish about 10 years ago.  My old one was a solid shooter, and comfortable, but had a problem with the manual safety engaging itself mid-magazine.  Being a lefty, I couldn't solve that by using a high thumb hold on the safety.  I had sent it back to EAA and had my own 'smith look at it to no avail.  I ended up selling it.

My Dad must have had the same problem with his Witness 45. He too is left handed. The Witness he bought was used, and it shot great...but for whatever reason it would jam for him. He traded it for a USP.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Antone have a factory compensated model.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Steel-frame, full size; it'll feed any type of ammo, is accurate, reliable, very comfortable grip, and has less felt recoil (to me, anyway) than a lot of 9mm's.

Um, what he said.  

Also, get it with the 22 top end if you do, shouldn't be much more than the regular full size steel by itself, and well worth it, IMO.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top