Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/11/2009 7:26:50 AM EST
S&W M&P9c or Walther PPS. I will be getting one of them for her as she has too small of hands for my Glocks. She has fondled the M&P but not the Walther. Shooting them isn't an option where we live. Are the grips that much smaller than the Glock to make it work? As it is right now she can't get her trigger finger to reach far enough on the trigger. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:29:17 AM EST
She will probably be allright with the smallest back-strap with the M&P. Great gun by the way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:33:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By boomhower:
She will probably be allright with the smallest back-strap with the M&P. Great gun by the way.

+1. I have one on my hip as I type this. I dumped the Glock 27 (.40) to get the M&P9c. With the interchangeable back straps, it is very user friendly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:37:34 AM EST
The PPS will be the smallest grip of the two. I'd still vote M&P tho. I have one and have been extremely happy with it. The PPS doesn't seem to be getting much traction in the market.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:39:37 AM EST
Thanks guys keep it coming. I am leaning towards the M&P but I can get a discount on both from Buds. I have also noticed the PPS isn't exactly prevelant. I think she was trying the M&P with the regular backstrap. What she is doing is braking her wrists down with the Glock when she shoots so she hits low. I think it is simply because of the grip as she doesn't do that with .22s that fit her.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:48:06 AM EST
I think the slightly thicker grip of the M&P will shoot more comfortably for her than the thin grip of the PPS. My wife shoots guns with larger grips better than smaller. They feel more comfortable in her hands during recoil.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:56:54 AM EST
Get her a Glock 26.

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:01:30 AM EST
More bullets = better

M&P FTW!

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:24:13 AM EST
I have a G27 and a G23 both with 9mm conversions and she doesn't shoot them well because they don't fit her so they are out :( so far it is the M&P FTW it appears.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:47:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2009 8:49:43 AM EST by Spook410]
I get the question of 'who makes a smaller grip' but she still has to try pistols on for fit herself. My petite wife shocked me when she picked a full size Sig 226 as being the best fit and most comfortable for her. This is a woman that buys childrens size gloves. She can also reach the trigger on an N frame S&W just fine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:00:48 AM EST
I just bought a XDM 9mm and it has a really small grip. You may want to have her try the feel of one of those.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:05:55 AM EST
its a personal choice; let HER decide on which one she likes best, both in the hand and shooting––imo, it would be best if she based her descion on the one she SHOOTS the best with and feels the most comfortable handling

that said, i would take the SW MPc hands down
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:07:00 AM EST
If no Glock, I'd say the Walther or XD. However, as noted above, it should depend mostly on what she likes best.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:15:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2009 9:21:43 AM EST by jlficken]
She has tried the M&P and liked it I just can't find a PPS anywhere within 100 miles. I don't remember if she tried the XD but I know she didn't like the Sig P239, Ruger SR-9, the new polymer CZ, HK P7, HK P2000, S&W 4906, and there were a couple others and I think XD was one of them. She liked my Kimber Pro Raptor but thought it was a bit heavy and didn't want .45 AUTO. She did however like the Llama 9mm 1911 my Dad has.

ETA: The decision is hers I am just trying to figure out what to try next besides what we have tried and figured that with her small hands maybe a PPS might be a better fit being a single stack 9mm. I don't know it sucks because we are at opposite ends I wear an XXL glove and she wears an S.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:17:01 AM EST
Karh P9.
Nice and slim and easy to carry.

Natron
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:19:05 AM EST
EMP
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:25:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2009 9:27:03 AM EST by jlficken]
I never thought about the Kahr P9 I will have to try to track one down.

As to the EMP we can try it maybe I could trade in my P2000 on it since I can't stop from shooting it left anyway :)

ETA: I wish I knew someone that had the M&P especially as I haven't ever shot one either and would like to. Stupid boondocks of Nebraska.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 10:39:02 AM EST
Commander or full size 1911 or other single stack, but not a subcompact (Commander is considered service length in the rest of the world). Light means pain. No EMPs, no PDAs, no PPSs, no PF9s or PM9s. Maybe a Kahr P9. These are suggestions for her to "try on". None of them will feel natural or point "instinctively" unless she was born with a pound and a half of steel at the end of her arm. Just need to be comfortable to hold, and reach the controls, and align the sights. Get some trigger time if she can before putting down the money.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 10:46:10 AM EST
XD 9mm subcompact.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 11:45:26 AM EST
The M&P9c is a great choice. It has three different adjustable backstraps so your wife should be able to find one she likes.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 1:13:07 PM EST
I have both guns . The PPS grip is smaller than the M&P, but not quite as comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 2:37:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2009 2:54:09 PM EST by thedr13]
Originally Posted By jlficken:
She has tried the M&P and liked it I just can't find a PPS anywhere within 100 miles. I don't remember if she tried the XD but I know she didn't like the Sig P239, Ruger SR-9, the new polymer CZ, HK P7, HK P2000, S&W 4906, and there were a couple others and I think XD was one of them. She liked my Kimber Pro Raptor but thought it was a bit heavy and didn't want .45 AUTO. She did however like the Llama 9mm 1911 my Dad has.

ETA: The decision is hers I am just trying to figure out what to try next besides what we have tried and figured that with her small hands maybe a PPS might be a better fit being a single stack 9mm. I don't know it sucks because we are at opposite ends I wear an XXL glove and she wears an S.

OK! Let me throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned.
How about a Makarov in 9X18? It is small and very concealable and with some Silver Bear hollow points, IT WOULD BE A GOOD CCW GUN AS WELL AS FUN TO SHOOT. CHECK ONE OUT. Sorry, I hit cap lock!!!
Very accurate and reliable as hell!! Easy to dis-assemble and maintain. Recoil is not as much as a full power 9mm or 45.
Relatively inexpensive, too!
Unless you buy an E. German one. They bring a premium price. I have an EG one. It has been flawless and it is my CCW gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:23:39 PM EST
S&W M&P9c
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:34:51 PM EST
My wife picked out the M&P after going to a couple of different gun shops. She likes the feel of the grip but recently I bought a H&K USP and she loves the balance of it. It's also lighter. Have her try out the USP or even a P2000 with the interchangeable grips.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:45:16 PM EST
I'd put a CZ 2075 RAMI before either. But of the two the M&P
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 6:11:45 PM EST
The M&P is a great choice, the Kahr is nice too but the grip of the M&P really makes it much more pleasant for the fairer sex to shoot, according to at least three ladies who have shot both my Kahr and M&P9c.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:43:17 PM EST
Springfield XDM - my wife loves to shoot this pistol!

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:03:02 PM EST
Have her try them out first, make sure she can rack the slide and stuff.

I tried a few pistols for my wife, in the end I got her a wheel gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 11:07:07 PM EST
My wife loves her kimber Ultra Carry in 9mm. the light short trigger and small single stack grip fit her small hands perfectly. Set me back quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:26:22 PM EST
She shot my Dad's FNP9 as well as an XD40 Service today and was quite good with the XD. I was impressed!! It looks like we will get an XD Service for her but in 9mm.

Does anyone know are new XD triggers crisp right out of the box or are they like M&P's and need a trigger job? The trigger was the selling point for her on it.

Thanks for all of the help. We didn't get to shoot an M&P but she wants the XD so she gets it. I doubt she will CCW so we decided to get the Service as that is what she shot and we can get the little brother later.

I also figured out with the help of my Dad and brother that the sights on my P2000 were off to the left and that I can in fact shoot so I moved them and now love it even more. At 10yds it is not uncommon to have multiple shot touching for each of us.

It was a great day!!

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:32:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2009 6:33:16 PM EST by jlficken]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:37:17 PM EST
Take a hard look at the PPS in 9mm –– great pistol.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:04:48 AM EST
Picked up my Wife's new XD-9 on Saturday and went and shot it yesterday. At 8-9yds she is a tack driver with it!! 10 of 15 rounds in the 2" bullseye with the rest going a bit low. She put ~80rds through it and her brother and I each put 10. We also put on the X300 and shot some Hyra-shoks through it to make sure it cycled and that recoil difference from my reloads didn't bother her which it didn't. I showed her how to shoot high thumbs and had her try to leave both eyes open while shooting and she believes that helped her tremendously as well.

It was a GREAT day at the range with my Wife and BIL and her goal is now to wear it out. We are going to have to expand my 9mm component budget :)

Thanks to all for your suggestions we just had to go with the XD as she shot Dad's .40 and fell in love with it. I had no intention going in of going that route but it was her choice and as long as she is happy so am I.

I also got to shoot an M&P9 Pro on Saturday that had a Burwell trigger job and man that thing was nice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:13:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By jlficken:
Picked up my Wife's new XD-9 on Saturday and went and shot it yesterday. At 8-9yds she is a tack driver with it!! 10 of 15 rounds in the 2" bullseye with the rest going a bit low. She put ~80rds through it and her brother and I each put 10. We also put on the X300 and shot some Hyra-shoks through it to make sure it cycled and that recoil difference from my reloads didn't bother her which it didn't. I showed her how to shoot high thumbs and had her try to leave both eyes open while shooting and she believes that helped her tremendously as well.

It was a GREAT day at the range with my Wife and BIL and her goal is now to wear it out. We are going to have to expand my 9mm component budget :)

Thanks to all for your suggestions we just had to go with the XD as she shot Dad's .40 and fell in love with it. I had no intention going in of going that route but it was her choice and as long as she is happy so am I.

I also got to shoot an M&P9 Pro on Saturday that had a Burwell trigger job and man that thing was nice.

Cool. Congrats on the weapon. XDs are nice, well built weapons. Not my favorite, but good non the less. It should serve you well.
Top Top