Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:20:15 AM EDT
Well, I am planning on buying myself another Glock for Christmas this year. I have a G-17, and I think I have narrowed my list down to a 45. Don't really like the 40's and the 357 sigs are too expensive for practice. Also I am not to sure about the GAP. Is it going to be around for a while?

I am looking at the 30 and the 36. I think those are the right numbers. One is the double stack, and the other is more of a straight stack thin grip. This one will be used for concealed carry.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:44:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 7:30:51 AM EDT by BrianNH]
The future of the 45 GAP round is still up in the air. While it is a good round and concept (allows a 45 to fit in a 9mm frame), ammo is still sparse, and sometimes pricey. At this point, it is more of a specialty round. I would stick with the acp.

I am partial to the Glock 30 over the G36. The G30 in my opinion is more reliable than the G36, and easier to shoot. It doesn't pack quite as well as the G36 due to the thickness and added weight though.

The G36 packs well due to the slimness however because of the light slide, it is less tolerant to limp wristing, and recoils much more than the G30. The 36 is not a pistol you're going to shoot comfortably all day at the range. I'm not saying the G36 is unreliable as I know there are many who have had great reliability with their G36's. It's made for one thing, and one thing only, packing.

In summary, if your primary concern is carrying more than shooting, and you plan to carry IWB, the G36 is great in that respect. If you want something that you can shoot the shit out of, that has more capacity, and is less finicky with feeding I say the g30 is the hands down winner.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:44:45 AM EDT
i would rather consider the .40sw/.357sig over the gap

but i too would get the .45acp

i would opt for the G30--twice the rounds, a little wider, but the mags (which can take G21 hi-caps) are going to be cheaper and more available

get the G30
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:52:52 AM EDT
I would go with the 30 for carry . I carry a 21
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:25:00 AM EDT
Glock 30 with the finger grip base plate on the mag.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:38:56 AM EDT
+1 for the G30

A G19 is my primary carry-gun but I recently picked up a G30 to complement my 2 G21s and I am considering changing carry-guns for the first time in 10+ years. Lots more shooting/testing/practicing before I decide to make the switch (or not ), but I'm surprised even to be considering it...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:07:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 1:11:22 PM EDT by jrs93accord]

Originally Posted By GenghisKhan:
Glock 30 with the finger grip base plate on the mag.

+1

Additionally, I just bought a G30 w/ Pearce grip extension and night sights for a CCW and got rid of my Taurus PT140SSP Millineum PRO. I also have a G21 that I would not get rid of.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:30:23 AM EDT
I think the GAP is a great idea, but here in the US, the ACP is steeped in so much tradition that I I think the GAP will never really get off the ground (or if it does, it won't gain altitude very fast).

A big factor might be if the 30 is too big for your hand (it is for some). I have big hands, and my 21 fits just great. Go hold them and shoot them if you can rent them at your local range. That should help alot. May as well not fight a battle with the wrong sized grip if you don't have to.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:47:48 PM EDT
Well, I went out this afternoon and picked up a G-30. Looked at the 36 but there was not enough difference in the size to make me change my mind over what most of you all had said.

I put about 50 rounds through it here in the back yard tonight. I have to say I am pretty pleased with it. I also started to get a G-26 so my mags would match up with my 17. But I held my ground for my 45. Price was $469 NIB.

Does anyone have problems getting the 10 rounds in the mags? I could only get 9 in both. Going to leave them loaded and see it I can get the other in tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:04:38 PM EDT
I have all three 45's and I hardly ever carry the 30. The 36 is small enough to carry with anything and is the most comfortable of all glocks to carry. I also have a 19 that was my primary carry gun, but its on night stand duty now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:09:46 PM EDT
I have the G30 and consider it too large for concealed carry. I can conceal my G17 better, but usually carry my G26. I have considered getting rid of the G30 in favor of the G21, but will more likely just keep both.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:46:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:
Well, I went out this afternoon and picked up a G-30. Looked at the 36 but there was not enough difference in the size to make me change my mind over what most of you all had said.

I put about 50 rounds through it here in the back yard tonight. I have to say I am pretty pleased with it. I also started to get a G-26 so my mags would match up with my 17. But I held my ground for my 45. Price was $469 NIB.

Does anyone have problems getting the 10 rounds in the mags? I could only get 9 in both. Going to leave them loaded and see it I can get the other in tomorrow.

Are you are using the mag loader? If so, you should not have any problem getting that 10th one in. Try it again and let me know what happens.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:42:18 AM EDT
HI,

Congrats on the G30. I use mine as my primary CCW for the last 5+ years. Get a good IWB holster an you'll be all set. I use a SideArmor IWB w/ belt hooks.

As far as the mags go, almost all of my 10 round mags were difficult to load past nine. Just let them sit loaded w/ nine rounds for a week or so then all will be fine. This is a common "problem" that I have seen posted over to GT too many times to remember.

FB
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:12:07 PM EDT
Thanks, I left mine loaded in the safe last night. Finally got the 10th round in both of them tonight. Guess I just have to work them out a little. When I first bought this one, it really didn't have that perfect feel like my 17 did. But I think it is starting to grow on me now. Every time I pick it up, it feels better in my hand.

Plus it shoots great. I can shoot it better on my range than my 17. Not really sure why, but I push all my 17's shots a little to the left.

But I am dead on the money with this one...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:32:35 AM EDT
I think my G30 is a better shooter than my G21c, as for getting that 10th bullet in, all I can say is Glock gave us a loader for a reason, Pearce +2's help.
Top Top