Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2009 6:00:32 AM EDT
Well its getting warmer up here in The People's Republican of New Yorkistan. That means its time for me to swtich over from my Glock 19 to my Colt Detective Spcl. I have been carrying 110grain hydra shocks in it. I cant carry +P because it is an older model. Im looking into some more potent rounds. What do you guys suggest?
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#1]
actually i think you have a great round in it, that is what i was going to suggest. i would not want to be on the other end of a hydrashock
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I would try to dress around the 19 or get a 26 maybe. I live in Fl. and carry 27 or 23, shorts and polo/ t-shirt year round. I think you loose alot w/o the +p, as in the GD 135+p. I don't want to get shot w/ a standard .38 so carry what you can. I hear the 158wc is a good round but haven't seen any tests.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The old FBI load of 158 gr. LSWC is one possible choice another is the Hornady 158 gr. XTP load.  I personally carry the Speer Gold Dot +P 135 gr. load in an older S&W Chiefs Special.  The gun is not rated for +P but I don't plan on putting a steady diet of such loads through it.  A cylinder full to check zero was sufficient and then use regular pressure ammo for practice.  Welcome home btw, you here for good now?
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the 158 gr. Lead SWC HP. I handload my own. I use the Speer swaged bullets with Universal powder. Another option is to get someone to load you up some Hollow Base wadcutters inverted. Of course up your way they might frown on handloads if you had to use them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Please read the post "Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo" tacked at the top of the page. The only two choices you should be considering is the 135gr Speer Gold Dot and the 110gr CorBon DPX.

[ETA] Just saw that you stipulated non +P ammo. Sorry, but your choices just evaporated. I don't really have any recommendations.

Zhukov, what are your feelings on the 158 Gold Dot in a 4" Diamondback?
(and, the 158 Gold Dot .357 in a 6"Python, for that matter?)

Nick

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The old FBI load of 158 gr. LSWC is one possible choice another is the Hornady 158 gr. XTP load.  I personally carry the Speer Gold Dot +P 135 gr. load in an older S&W Chiefs Special.  The gun is not rated for +P but I don't plan on putting a steady diet of such loads through it.  A cylinder full to check zero was sufficient and then use regular pressure ammo for practice.  Welcome home btw, you here for good now?

Yup. Im home for good now. Going to school now full time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome back and best of luck with the studies!  Once the weather gets nicer we need to hit the range.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome back and best of luck with the studies!  Once the weather gets nicer we need to hit the range.

Thanks much! Keep in touch and we will hit the range. BTW the FAL runs like a sewing machine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#11]
What do you guys think of 158gr LWSC in non +p for my snubby?
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please read the post "Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo" tacked at the top of the page. The only two choices you should be considering is the 135gr Speer Gold Dot and the 110gr CorBon DPX.

[ETA] Just saw that you stipulated non +P ammo. Sorry, but your choices just evaporated. I don't really have any recommendations.

Zhukov, what are your feelings on the 158 Gold Dot in a 4" Diamondback?
(and, the 158 Gold Dot .357 in a 6"Python, for that matter?)

Nick

Thanks for your input.
I'm not tied to any particular round, but I do have a few boxes of the .357's, and was curious about them.
The Diamondback is one I gave to my mother, and was curious on a good load for it.

Thanks again, Nick

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What do you guys think of 158gr LWSC in non +p for my snubby?

That would be my pick.  Buffalo Bore makes some standard pressure 158gr with some really good chrono numbers.

Also, Federal nyclad 125gr was considered one of the best standard pressure rounds and iIt was just reintroduced at SHOT 2009
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't tried this but am considering it for the same reasons you are.  Here's a good write up for you from Stephen Camp's Hi Powers and Handguns site....

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon%2038%20Special%20Ammo.htm
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I cant carry +P because it is an older model.

148Gn HBWC
Federal Nyclad
Hornady Critical Defense
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top