Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/11/2003 6:12:56 PM EDT
Hello folks.

Which of these 1911 pistols are most reliable? I don't really care about competition type stuff, I just want to know a pistol reliable enough during the cooler weather. It seems Kimber Custom II looks good... what do you folks recommend?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:20:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MaverickMkii:
Hello folks.

Which of these 1911 pistols are most reliable? I don't really care about competition type stuff, I just want to know a pistol reliable enough during the cooler weather. It seems Kimber Custom II looks good... what do you folks recommend?

well it seems that out of all the choices you've listed being Kimber, Kimber, Kimber, Kimber and Kimber I would have to choose.....
...............KIMBER !!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:42:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/11/2003 6:53:30 PM EDT by Corey]
Any properly built 1911 should be very reliable with 230 grain FMJ.

With a barrel throated for HP's it should feed them as well.

I'd ditch any firing pin safety parts if you can do it without adversely effecting the mechanical operation of the pistol.

EDITED to add that a friend has a Kimber Custom Classic series I that has run flawlessly. If were to buy a 1911 right now, it would be one of the following:

- Wilson CQB (either 5" or compact if you have the money);
- Kimber Custom Classic series II (I would replace the passive firing pin safety parts with Wilson parts); or
- Colt Series 70.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:03:45 PM EDT
What are the cost parameters? What is the intended use?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:58:16 PM EDT
Kimber Custom II is a great 1911A1, I have had mine for a few months now and have used it hard, with flawless results. The only thing I have added to it is the VZ grips.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:34:30 AM EDT
I have 3 Colt's A 1911 made in 1915 for the Marines, Runs like a charm with ball. A stainless 1991 that runs like a charm with anything. A 1991 commander that runs on anything.

I like my Colts.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:43:56 AM EDT
Process of elimination...Llamas normally are not. ("normally" added for whoever has one that works)
AMT has a spotty reputation too, amongst other wanna bes. And those are on a warm day.
Kimber, Springfield and Colt give you a good "off the shelf" chance of reliability.
The custom makers, Brown, Wilson and Baer should be at the top, especially if you inform them of your requirements.
Leaving off heavy lubricants and using harball ammo, IMO, in sub freezing temperatures would help as much as picking a brand name.
Freezer to firing line results may vary.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:31:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/12/2003 9:32:48 AM EDT by MaverickMkii]
Actually I wanted to compare Kimber Custom II and Springfield Milspec but I forgot to mention that in my first post.

I really would like to try out Milspec since its about 3/5 of the price of Kimber. These two models were the ones that I consistently hear praises, but I think the edge goes to Kimber...or is it not?

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:04:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/12/2003 10:04:58 AM EDT by dubb-1]
My milspec has proven accurate and reliable. I trust it more than the Kimbers I have had over the years. It even earned a facelift...

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:26:29 AM EDT
Well MaverickMkii, you're in luck. I bought a Kimber Custom II a few months ago and just traded another gun for a Springfield Mil-spec. So, you can try both.

The Kimber is tighter than the SA. The beavertail grip on the Kimber is nice; the SA starts to pinch the skin between the thumb and trigger finger. I like the sights on the SA better than the Kimber. If you get the Kimber, you might want to step up to the Kimber Custom Target II, which has adjustable sights.

I like the grips on the Kimber better than the SA, but that's a cheap replacement. The SA grips are actually okay. The safety is a little tighter on the SA, primarily because of a little piece of metal on the edge (I can shopw you better than explaining it here). Also, the Kimber's safety lever is longer than the SA, which makes it a little easier to flip on/off.

The Kimber came with the wrench used to disassemble the pistol. The SA did not include this.

The trigger on the Kimber is longer than the SA. The Kimber trigger's face is also smooth, while the SA is serated. Shooting 100+ rounds through the SA this weekend left the tip of my trigger finger a little sore.

Let me know if you want to hook up sometime and shoot.

See ya,

Mark
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:23:15 PM EDT
I have had Colts, Springfields, and now Kimbers. All have been reliable for me.

All companies can have one go out that has trouble. All man made tools/machines are subject to imperfection. You could shoot my Kimber TLE/RL today, which as been flawless, and go buy one tomorrow, and it not work so good. Only real way to be sure is to buy it and try it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:38:54 PM EDT
I just bought a Kimber Eclipse Pro II yesterday so a bit biased at the moment. Chose it over the Target Custom II for barrel length both feature the Custom shop parts and finish and unfortunately PRICE.

Have to admit though that my cheap MIL Spec off brand has worked flawlessly. I guess it shows the design is excellent.

Tj
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:26:08 PM EDT
I have had 3 different Springfields, and never had a problem with either of the .45's. The .40 had FTF problems that arose from a gunked up extractor. Fixed that and it ran fine.

Sold off my last Springfield to finance the purchase of a Kimber Eclipse Custom II (5"). Excellent pistol IMO, but found an 8 round Kimber mag that it didn't get along with (failed to load last round).
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:42:34 PM EDT
Thanks very much gents.

(I will join you folks up in GA when I get my toys together this winter. I don't want to go meet you folks with nothing in my hand)
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:47:17 PM EDT
I really like my Wilson CQB.

I bought it used with 1400 rounds through it.

I've put PMC, UMC, Winchester, Sellier & Belliot and Remington ball ammo through it without a problem. As far as HP I've shot Hydrashock, Gold Dot and Corbon +P all ammo was 230 grain, NO problems at all.

I'm very happy with this purchase. If you can swing the $$ you won't be sorry about a Wilson.

I've never owned any other 1911, so I won't bash anybody else's product.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:47:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MaverickMkii:
Thanks very much gents.

(I will join you folks up in GA when I get my toys together this winter. I don't want to go meet you folks with nothing in my hand)

That's cool, but you don't have to have toys to come out and play. We frequently haev new guys show up without anything to just try different things.

I'm really liking both the Kimber and the SA. I think the Kimber is a lot more gun for a little more money though. There are guys in the "GA gang" with Les Baers, Wilsons, Paras, Colts and anything else you can imagine. Maybe we could have a .45 day and everyone just bring their .45s.

See ya.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:28:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/15/2003 6:31:30 PM EDT by thedr13]
All top manufacturers are reliable. I have a Springfield Armory "Fully Loaded" in stainless steel. I would put it up against anything on the market. Reliable, accurate and a good looking piece of art in workmanship. Shot it today and at twenty yards ; eliminated the orange bullseye of a pistol target with ten rounds. ( I have two ten round Chip McCormick mags.)
I would recommend Springfield Armory to everyone !!!!

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:19:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2003 10:21:57 AM EDT by RogerC]
Any of the new Colts, including this one:

I trust Colt with my life.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:50:31 AM EDT
I just bought a Kimber Tactical Custom II, and haven't shot it much yet, but it seems about as reliable as everyone says.

I was leaning toward adjustable sights, but had heard several stories of them breaking. I'm going to leave the firing pin safety junk in there and see what happens with it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:59:11 AM EDT
I've got a fairly new Kimber Stainless II with about 1000 rounds through it, and am nothing but impressed. The gun is tight, comfortable, predictable, and extremely easy on the eyes. I've seen Springfields that were joys to behold as well, but the fit and finish of the parts seems a little less precise than the Kimber (biased?? ME?? neeever!). I notice it most in the positive "snap" on the man. safety, and the mating around and operation of the grip safety. My only requirement was to ditch the butt-ugly stock rubber grips for some gorgeous rosewood checkered guys, ran about $45. After about 500 rounds I had the local 1911 guy throat and polish, and "clean up" the bearing surfaces. It didn't really need it, but certainly didn't hurt :) Only problem now is the pistol shoots a LOT better than I do. practice practice practice!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:10:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/25/2003 7:12:02 PM EDT by ramjet308]
I do believe that RogerC mayhave issues. . . but dont we all? we all know its funner then hell to blow off duel 1911s.

I have read thru this list and am going to expect some comments but I would say check out the new 1911 line from Dan Wesson. I got a Commander style 1911 from them about a year ago and have had zero problems with it. Does about a 3" group at 25yds comes with ambi safety and a Jarvis Match barrel and 2piece steel guide rod. Its fed everything thru it but has had a little bit of ejection problems on my really light plinker loads. But shoots Hydrashock all day long. I have about 1500 rounds thru it and would trust my life with it. It was what I carried until i let me CCW permit expire. I paid 525.00 brand new

Check out there sight
www.danwesson.com
Top Top