Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2010 4:28:29 AM EDT
Obviously there are places where it is prohibited and enforced with metal detectors.  But in your every day lives, if you carry as often as you can, when do you just say "I'm gonna leave it at home"?  Any of you guys play golf while carrying?  Anyone go to the gym while carrying?  I've heard it said "If you're gonna carry, carry all the time..." implying one who carries casually or when convenient is really not in the right mindset to carry a firearm and use it if necessary.  Would you all agree?
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I've carried doing everything from fishing, changing oil, going to funerals, eating out, movies, etc. If its legal, and I can manage to conceal a weapon while doing so, I carry. When there are times I can't carry, there will be a pistol in the car.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't think of a time when I don't  carry. I carry when cycling and even flying (Fed LEO). I've even taken it to a Dead concert out of state. I was able to go around the metal detectors.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Anywhere it's legal. Except for the shower and the beach.

I'm still trying to figure out a good way to handle the beach.

Az
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I can't think of a time when I don't  carry. I carry when cycling and even flying (Fed LEO). I've even taken it to a Dead concert out of state. I was able to go around the metal detectors.

Somehow this strikes me as the epitome of the paranoid gun-owner.

I know it can happen anytime, anywhere - even at church.

But a Dead concert?  It's...inconceivable!

(Not knocking your decision at all.)
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#5]
shower, pool.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've carried doing everything from fishing, changing oil, going to funerals, eating out, movies, etc. If its legal, and I can manage to conceal a weapon while doing so, I carry. When there are times I can't carry, there will be a pistol in the car.

This pretty much sums it up for me too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Az

I've carried at the beach. Hell, I've carried playing tennis (dont ask).

When I carried at the beach, it was because I was at a state park, and I didnt feel comfortable leaving it in my tent for someone to possibly steal.
It wasnt really busy, so it was easy to keep an eye on it hidden amongst my things.

In all, there are not too many places I dont carry.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#8]
i dont in the bank anymore..... I found the response time for PD was rather quick.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#9]
College Campus, Government Buildings, Churches, when I'm swimming and when I'm out skateboarding.

First 3 because its illegal in my state. Second two because it can't really be done .  Oddly enough if I ever need a gun chances are I'll probably need one at one of those locations.

I've found a simple solution to carrying in the gym, put the gun in a backpack. I need one anyways because my gym apparel doesn't have pockets. So I use my bag to carry my Mp3 player, gym key, car keys, wallet, knife, cell-phone, notebook, liquid chalk and gun+ mag. Also sometimes I bring a change of clothes. I just set it on the floor next to wear I'm working out and its no big deal.

I've noticed quite a few guys carry a gym bag and instead of putting it in the front/designated areas they keep it next to them. Sometimes I wonder if its because they carry that way as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i dont in the bank anymore..... I found the response time for PD was rather quick.

How were you made?
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#11]
In addition to places where it's illegal, I don't carry in shops, stores, restaurants or any other place where the owner doesn't want me carry.  I respect the rights of others.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Somehow this strikes me as the epitome of the paranoid gun-owner.  

I know it can happen anytime, anywhere - even at church.

But a Dead concert?  It's...inconceivable!

(Not knocking your decision at all.)

LOL, that does sound paranoid. Actually the show was in downtown Philly and we walked from the hotel. Having the gun on me was for before and after the concert since downtown Philly isn't the safest area. I could care less about the stoned hippies, they're non violent and fun to watch.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#13]
about the only time I leave it at home is if I am going to drink.  not like a beer at dinner type of drinking because I'm not opposed to having a beer but rather    D R I N K I N G. otherwise i keep it with me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry pretty much everywhere that I am allowed to.  I follow the law down here, and there are not many places prohibited.  For instance, I'll go to a restuarant and sit down to eat, but I will not go to the bar and wait if I am on a waiting list. (Florida law)  While there, I will not drink while carrying, even if just one drink still keeps me within legal limits.  If I were to not feel safe going somewhere that I was not allowed to carry, then I would not go there at all anyway.  I think Florida has a good set of CCW laws, and it's not difficult to live within them, for me at least.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I carry everywhere that its legal to do so.   I consider it a responsibility to be in charge of my own safety.   You never know when something can happen as emergencies have a way of occurring when you least expect them to.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#16]
in play places with the kids ie macdonalds chucky cheese
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In addition to places where it's illegal, I don't carry in shops, stores, restaurants or any other place where the owner doesn't want me carry.  I respect the rights of others.

The way I look at that is they're not respecing MY rights if the don't want me carrying there.

Only places I don't carry are places where it's not legal.

I've never said "I'm gonna leave it at home today".
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way I look at that is they're not respecing MY rights if the don't want me carrying there.

Only places I don't carry are places where it's not legal.

I've never said "I'm gonna leave it at home today".

Many people think gun owners, and CCW carriers in particular, are strange, paranoid people with their own agenda. This is unfortunate and  I plan to show the same respect for others that I expect in return.,  It seems kind of self serving to say where 'my right is bigger than yours' when that position is not validated legally or ethically.  BTW, in most cases, if you are asked not to carry, the law is on their side, not yours.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#19]
No, I don't think it's ethical for someone to tread upon my right to carry, not at all.  It's rather discriminitory, actually.

This is why we say "concealed means concealed".  That's the way I run things...I've not allowed them to infringe on my rights, and they're none the wiser.  I see no problem with that.

I DO agree that as gun owners we need to put forth a good image.  I smile at them, they smile at me, they don't see a weapon, and all is well.

You are correct about some states' laws with regard to this, and yes, you guys follow your own state laws.

Fortunately for me, in WA, the law is on OUR side, not the side of a property owner/manager/etc.  The most they can do here is ask you to leave, which they won't, if they don't see the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Az

Just get a beach bag. Throw it in there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Because my state does not have any form of carry here. When I can use my PA permit in another state I carry it constantly.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Only where it's not legal.  Church, .gov buildings.  For now any place that sells alcohol for on the premises consumption.

Any place that has a gun buster sign I don't spend money at.

I guess the only other exception would be swimming.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I carry everywhere its legal.  Swimming I don't but its in the car or in custody of the wife generally at that point.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I won't carry in places where it isn't legal to do so in this state, of course. I generally don't go out of my way at business to look for a sign saying "no weapons" unless it is posted at eye level on the front door. Other than that, I must not have noticed it. My mistake.

Also some kid's activities, such as soccer practice, where I was pressed into helping coach last season (although carry in public parks and ball fields is also technically on the no-no list in this state)
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#25]
My doctor's office out of respect, when I drop my pants I would not want my gun flying out
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Just about everywhere except the schools . I don't swim in public places so that's not a problem . I coach football and baseball and I do not carry then  .
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I carry everywhere that I legally can.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I dont carry when I ride my bike or are on the boat. other than that its on me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I leave my gun at home when I go to work... in DC.

I like not being a felon.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Because my state does not have any form of carry here. When I can use my PA permit in another state I carry it constantly.

I feel ya..But I carry at every state I'm permitted..
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#31]
how did ILL get so backwords
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#32]
I typically carry everywhere it is legal to do so.  The only exception I can remember in recent years is when I knew I was going to be put on nitrous at my dentist for a root canal - left it at home then.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#33]
On the bus to work....Nuclear site.....but they gimme a gun when i get there....
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I carry whenever it's legal. That being said, in VA i don't carry in places that serve alcohol, banks, schools and church. that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I carry everywhere it's legal in my home state as only police stations, elementary through high schools and court is illegal.

Most other states are much more restrictive as to where you can't carry. Hypothetically, I might carry in places where it's not legal in other states if it's only a misdemeanor and I feel the location is risky. For example, a concert venue in a rough downtown area. If the chance of needing the weapon is greater than the risk of getting caught or in serious trouble, one might be inclined to carry.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Most everywhere but the workplace. Rules against it and I am too worried about being made.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Everywhere but the metal detectors.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Everywhere but the metal detectors.

This ^ and also at the water park or the beach.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't carry at:

The post office

Work (one stays in the vehicle though... ironically I'm a security guard and I can't carry AT work)

The courthouse

Everywhere else that it's legal, I carry.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:36:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Only places that it's not legal. The only other times it's not on me is inside where I work and at the bar. Usually leave it in my truck. I can't lie though, there are times I forget it's on me. Only a hand full of times really. If I know I'm going to be doing any physical activity or on my way to work(leaving it in the truck when I go in) I keep my lcp in pocket.  Other wise I tote a glock.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#41]
If it's legal, I carry. I haven't run into the "no guns" signs here in Indiana, but I'd ignore the hell out of them if I did.

Their false sense of security does not override my actual security. I will leave if asked to do so.

I have been to known to not carry occasionally at work because of the work at hand required too much bending and odd positions. Gun being seen there=Fired.

I don't drink so there's no moral dilema there. Haven't been to church since getting married in IL so.....

I do unload while visiting relatives in IL and IA. IL is lost, but hopefully the Republican Governor candidate will kick ass like they think he will in the next election. Iowa is somewhat gun friendly, and they got a new law passed this spring that will now honor my IN carry license, so as soon as we hop the river to see the in-laws, I'll re-arm myself. I'm not paranoid, I'm prepared.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#42]
What's all this not carrying in church stuff??

Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 individuals, besides myself, that are carrying in church. And I know there are more.

No joke, my wife and I, along with a dozen others took our CCW class at church!
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What's all this not carrying in church stuff??

Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 individuals, besides myself, that are carrying in church. And I know there are more.

No joke, my wife and I, along with a dozen others took our CCW class at church!

They were stating it is unlawful in their respective states to carry at a church.  It's legal here in Florida and we enjoy what I feel are some of the best gun laws in the country.  A lot (probably near 50% in my area) of churches here in Florida hire an off duty officer or two for security during services.  I tend to work at a couple of the churches every weekend for the easy money, social time with the single ladies, and free donuts and coffee.  I know a few of the people who are usually armed and always have more approach me and let me know they are carrying too.  Not that they have to let me know, but I enjoy talking with them about it and other gun related topics rather than just standing there watching them for 4 hours.  A lot of these churches also put on CCW classes for minimal cost to their congregation and have groups that shoot together regularly.  It think it's great these people are concerned about their family's and their church's safety and that they hire some good instructors (like me) to teach some of their classes.

My feeling about lawful ccw is this:  I would much rather respond to a call of wounded/dead badguy than to a call of injured/dead victim(s).
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#45]
If I know I'm going to be going out and drinking...I leave my CCW at home. Other than that, it's on me.  Oh, and I don't carry at work....or if I know I'm going to be going into some place with metal detectors (airport, court house, federal building, govt building).
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Pretty much everywhere except at school. It's not allowed on my college campus and many times I have considered carrying anyways because concealed is concealed. I just don't want a situation to arise where I print or someone catches a glimpse of my gun. Then there goes the tens of thousands of dollars and over 3 years of hard work toward my degree.

And I no longer eat at restaurants that don't want me and my gun there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Post Office and schools (I work at a college). Most anywhere else I'm carrying.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:22:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

yep

It comes w/ to the beach though I do have to take it off to swim
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#49]
I went shoe shopping yesterday.  I left the gun in the car.  

I went in with it, but felt uncomfortable with all the movement...seemed like I was banging the KelTec in my pocket against things here and there.  Also, if I shop for pants, I usually disarm...
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

exactly this
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top