Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2005 6:53:08 AM EDT
I just picked up an m40 from the pawn shop and was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a manual online. I'd like to be able to take it apart for cleaning, and don't wanna screw up
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Try their website. Most manufacturers have downloads. If all else fails, call them up. They should be happy to give you one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I been searching around a bit and can't find one yet, but one of the members said he'd mail me one... Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think you could get a manual from Steyr or Dynamit Noble (they are the importer as I remember).

However, I owned one and can help you with your question.

On the opposite side from what you show in the picture, there is a button with 2 holes in it (and you may have a set of keys, you can push it down and rotate it to lock the weapon), push that button in and flip the lever next to it downward (make sure the weapon is empty and the striker is not cocked, you will have to dry fire this weapon to disassemble it, it will not hurt the weapon, the manual instructs you to do so). The slide will then slide right off the front of the frame (like a beretta 92, 9000s, etc). The recoil spring is captive (no worries about it launching across the room), just lift it out of position, and remove the barrel. To assemble, do the reverse (there is a small step for the recoil spring to sit on the barrel lug (like a beretta 92), do not just shove it down to the barrel, it sits on the edge. Run the slide back onto the frame and the release lever should reset into position (or flip it by hand).

That's all there is to do.

Have fun, that's a great pistol.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks man
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't wait till we get this one out to the range and shoot it
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#6]
If these fuckers ever let me off of work, we're there
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats on your purchase of such a fine piece of wepondry.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#9]
www.usasteyr.com
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
keep a eye on the frame where the slide stops are .
the springs are a little weak and you can end up cracking them . seen it first hand my best Friends gun did it two times .
sent his first back after 1500 rounds replaced the gun no questions asked.
got his new one and after 250 rounds you could see where it started to hit .
he got him money back and bought a new gun.
but congrats on the gun great shooters.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#11]
The Steyr is a good reliable gun but you need to find something else for a everyday carry gun.

They are the most likely modern carry gun to fire without a trigger pull.

Keep your Steyr for fun and find find a better carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They are the most likely modern carry gun to fire without a trigger pull.

Ahhh.....

What's a Steyr thread with the ubiquitous Cornbread2 comment??

wganz

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I intend to make that comment everytime I see a Steyr thread no matter if you like it or not.

Perhaps if I say it enough I could manage to save someones life.

Or would that piss you off also?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Well thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye out for the springs like you said. I ran 150 rounds through it today and its a nice shooting pistol... fairly accurate, no misfeeds, I realy like the Triangle/Trapezoid sights. I like the placement of the manual safety.

On the flip side, the trigger pull was a little long. I got it with 2 postban 10 round mags and with 10 rounds in it, it sorta hangs up when pulling the slide back to chamber the first round. It will load it fine if the slide is already opened and in sert mag and hit the slide release. Anyone seen this problem before? Should i shop for new mags... besides the obvious reason... Full cap mag.

Also, I've seen the "cornbread comment" on another thread. What's the basis of it and what conditions have to be present for it to happen? When chambering a round? dropped? bumped? What is the manufacturing flaw? Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:01:37 AM EDT
[#15]
The flaw in the design is there is no automatic back up safety that stops the fall of the fully cocked striker if the sear should fail to hold it to the rear.

The Steyr is the only so called "quality" single action pistol that does not have this feature. Some designs such as the 1911 have more than one such safety because it is needed on single action pistol.

Enjoy your Steyr and you will because they are great shooters. Just don't make it an everyday carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I intend to make that comment everytime I see a Steyr thread no matter if you like it or not.

Perhaps if I say it enough I could manage to save someones life.

Or would that piss you off also?

Fools tilting windmills don't piss me off, they're an neverending source of entertainment.

wganz

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#17]
That is news to me espeacially since they do have a block type safety above the trigger. cornbread tell me what is your beef with steyr??
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That is news to me espeacially since they do have a block type safety above the trigger. cornbread tell me what is your beef with steyr??

What does a safety that keeps you from pulling the trigger have to do with the subject of a pistol firing without a trigger pull?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]
so you are telling us that you have first hand knowledge of steyr pistols doing this??? because i have never heard of anyone but you saying this.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I have posted my experiences many times. I have also went into great detail explaining just how and why the Steyr is the most likely modern carry gun to fire without a trigger pull.

Anyone with any general knowledge of gun design should be able to look at this gun and be able to eaisly understand this no matter if you believe anything I say or not.

I no longer care if any of you believe me or not. None of you live near me so myself or anyone else I care about has to worry about getting shot by one of you.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#21]
As you obviously have your issues and opinions and this was not why this thread was started I will let end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top