Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2013 12:32:36 PM EDT
Do you  guys know why most of the places are out of S&W revolvers? I don't care if they are with lock feature or not, what caliber, they are gone. I see plenty of other hand guns on the shelves in stores and online. Did they stop production?

I was looking for Smith and Wesson 617 and can not find it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The 22 k frames have always been hard to find.   Apparently Smith doesn't make a lot of them.  Given the state of the industry right now I suspect they're a low priority item.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
PM sent about 617
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought 4 in the last month

1 3" 686-8
2 4" 686(m)
1 66-4 w/2.5 inch barrel

Great deals on all of them. Will keep them forever.

People were trading them in for autos. Now people are hedging their bets and buying revolvers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I know of a shop not to far from me that has all kinds of old Smith wheelguns...but he wants a arm and a leg for them hence no buyers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#6]
It is hard to find the S&W 22 lr models. They are nice to shoot and inexpensive ammo. The Taurus pistols are nice as well as a Ruger single six for a US made option.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know of a shop not to far from me that has all kinds of old Smith wheelguns...but he wants a arm and a leg for them hence no buyers.

Sounds like a pawn shop in Dayton I stopped by a few weeks back. They wanted nearly $600 for some Model 10's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
SOG has several model used S&W wheel guns in their latest mailer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]
No its Barnes Guns in Lancaster.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a pawn shop in Dayton I stopped by a few weeks back. They wanted nearly $600 for some Model 10's.

Link Posted: 1/28/2013 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's my understanding they don't sell to the general public and only to dealers. Is that the case?
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I was looking for a sw airweight 642 and accoring to the gun shop sales guy they are focusing on the ar15 line and are not making alot of the other stuff . But they will come back
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 2:46:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's my understanding they don't sell to the general public and only to dealers. Is that the case?

They definitely sell C&Rs to C&R FFL holders, I've bought a few over the years.

I've read in another thread here SOG will sell to individuals (shipping to your local FFL obviously).  Call and
ask what the procedure is.

The dealer area on the web site isn't available to non-FFLs, so you won't know what they have or at what price.
The flyer lists model 10, 64 and 65 for sale, I don't know if they are actually available, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 3:26:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

1 3" 686-8
2 4" 686(m)
1 66-4 w/2.5 inch barrel

People were trading them in for autos. Now people are hedging their bets and buying revolvers.

And thus the reason that used revolvers are hard to find. The days of people dumping their revolvers for autos is long past. Now, the revolvers are in the hands of the people who treasure them.

Of course, at some point, these folks will die off and their kids will sell their revolvers to buy video games . . .
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 3:28:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A lot of the revolvers they have have import stamps on them. I got a Model 10 from them a couple of months ago and it had a big nasty CAI stamp on the side of the barrel. Not always true, though. I bought four 3-inch Model 65's from them last year and none of them had stamps.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 3" 686-8
2 4" 686(m)
1 66-4 w/2.5 inch barrel

And thus the reason that used revolvers are hard to find. The days of people dumping their revolvers for autos is long past. Now, the revolvers are in the hands of the people who treasure them.

Not in my area.
The last several pistols I have purchased/traded for have been.
S&W 29-2 4", 629 3", 625 6.5", 66 4" and a marlin lever in .44 and 30-30
I got GREAT deals on all but the 4" 29-2. It is mint and I gave 700 for it.
People are still dumping classic guns in my AO in order to get ripped off on black rifles

Of course, at some point, these folks will die off and their kids will sell their revolvers to buy video games . . .

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 4:11:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Agree with all here.

Scored mine that had been in a older gentlemens desk for 40 years. His son inherited it and sold it for a semi auto.
Also those that search for them now are keeping onto them forever. Sucks to be a younger firearms enthusiast.

Thinking about shelling out some bucks for a k22 at the old mom and pop shop but i feel like the box and 'collectors' papers are wasted on me. I just want to shoot the hell out of them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Bought a S&W 28-2 6" and can't wait to get my hands on it (CA 10 day waiting period). It was $540.

Next to it was a Python that also sold. And a Smith 25 that had an asking price of just short of $1k.

I started looking for a 28 several weeks ago and found one for a reasonable price (for CA) quickly, but I was lucky.

I've seen other Smith revolvers, mostly new ones with locks for over $1k.

When I get more cash I'll look for a pre lock 29 or 629, preferably pined and recessed.

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of the revolvers they have have import stamps on them. I got a Model 10 from them a couple of months ago and it had a big nasty CAI stamp on the side of the barrel. Not always true, though. I bought four 3-inch Model 65's from them last year and none of them had stamps.

What did you pay?
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#19]
They are out there if you look hard enough. I'm a total K-Frame nut, always have been since I got my MA LTC when I was 18 (you have to be 21 now). My first carry gun was a Sokol Custom 3" M65. That's been long shot out, but my main carry piece is a Century re-import 3" M13 that Karl Sokol customized. I think I paid $275 for it. I have a few 2-1/2" M66's, one P&R, and I paid $275 for one and I just bought the other for the most I've ever paid for a Smith revolver, $350. Last year I bought an LE trade-in 3" M65 for $300 in like new condition. I fell into a NIB 4" M65 from the same dept, too. Never issued or fired for $250.

Keep looking at every small gunshop you pass. You'll find them. That's how I do it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#20]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Originally Posted By

Keep looking at every small gunshop you pass. You'll find them. That's how I do it.

that's how I do it too,pawn shops ect.
I like to keep a large wish list and just buy the ones I find if I can live with the price.
Currently on the hunt for....
4-6"617
3&4" 625
4" 686
6&1/2" 29-2
Ect.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, I'm picking up my "new" 28-2 this coming week, but I'll keep an eye open to see what is out there. When I have some $ I'll look more seriously. In terms of S&W revolvers what I'd want most is a 29-2 6" or 629 4".
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#22]
lots of talk of a mag ban so lots of guys started snatching wheelies up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw a real pretty Model 27 in my local gun shop today for $625 with the original box.

It was extremely hard to walk out without it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 2:57:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did you pay?

I don't remember the exact price. Seems like they were less than $400 each. I sold a couple of them on the EE.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I saw a real pretty Model 27 in my local gun shop today for $625 with the original box.

It was extremely hard to walk out without it.

The 28-2 I bought was only about $100 less, but I'm in CA and the only way you can get older handguns is through consignment. All sales must go through gun dealers, but the only way dealers can sell guns not on the approved list is via consignment.

These restrictions are very insidious, because first time gun buyers walking into a gun store won't realize what is happening. They won't grasp that the state has taken away lots of choices and driven up costs through legislation. They won't see imported Argentine 1911s or surplus police duty guns and the lower prices, what they will see is the new S&W lock guns and other apporved guns, and a few older consignement guns. And they will think it is the normal state of the market, and they won't grasp how fucked up it all is because of the state.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Since Newton, I got a S&W 327 which is 8 rounds of .357 goodness

plus I snatched up a used S&W 617 4" on consignment at MSRP since they're made from unobtainium.

Was going to get a CzechPoint 3" .38 Spl but spent those funds for la causa in the fight for the 2A rights for my NY brothers. Which worked out OK, since I've now spotted a S&W 317 on consignment at the LGS for just over 5 bills.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Ive bought a 625, 686, and a 629 recently
I want me kid to have something to shoot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top