Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/5/2006 1:22:22 PM EDT
All,
I just rebuilt some older 1911 MIL mags and I just wonder what some of you use for testing criteria in determining which mags get carried and which are relegated to the range bag. I took my some very old 1911 mags and replaced the followers with rounded Pachmyers, new springs from Dare Gun Room and added bases pads also from Dare.
If the mags fail I will salvage the new parts, otherwise I will blue or parkerize them after I determine they are worth keeping. Looking forward to hearing how you all test your gear.

R/
Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:36:42 PM EDT
The only criteria I use to determine if a magazine is reliable is to see if it is made by Wilson Combat. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:49:19 PM EDT
I prefer to take ANY mag (new or used) to the range, and use each mag at least 10-15 times (ball ammo). Then repeat on another day. Then I'll run it with my carry ammo twice, just to be sure there are no hiccups. That last part gets expensive, but you can't put a price on your life.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 3:35:35 PM EDT by 45bisley]
When it says Metalform,and has the dimple followerand the Wolff's 11# springs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:22:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 3:39:52 PM EDT by DocGun]

Originally Posted By 1911builder:
The only criteria I use to determine if a magazine is reliable is to see if it is made by Wilson Combat. Charles the Gunsmith.

BIG +1

I have 14 Wilson 47Ds that I use for range mags and load the day before I go shooting. I have not changed the springs or followers (they come together as a "rebuild kit") in quite awhile. I would estimate that each mag has been loaded and unloaded (shot) at least 100 times. They still work just fine. The trick with the 8 round 47Ds is to not leave them fully loaded for extended priods of time. Remember also, that Wilson mags have a lifetime warranty which covers the mag body (ie bent, broken, cracked feed lips, etc). They are the only mags I use. Anytime you can pick them up for around $21 each, do so.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:35:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:43:08 PM EDT
Thanks Justin,
I have my carry and serious "game" mags, I just wanted to give these old vets another lease on life. They are not Metalform or Wilson, they came from Prancing Pony according to their manufacturer number stamped on the bottom. They were good enough for someone to carry on watch for who knows how many years, the least I can do is give them some range time. Besides, we can always malfunction and stoppage practice right? These are not in the "duty rotation" (yet) only practice.
I file a report back when I have used them a while.
Thanks

R/
Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:46:33 PM EDT
BTW, I have been using the Chip McCormick 8 round mags for about 12 years and never had any problems. I keep them clean and rotate them fairly often. Actually, I guess I never really meet a mag I did'nt like. Lucky I guess. I have also used a couple of Ed Brown's.

Thanks

R/
Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:47:46 PM EDT
How are GI mags? I noticed that they can be had pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 1:20:11 PM EDT by Sgt_Gold]
Genuine USGI magazines are good units, but they were designed to feed 230 ball ammo not hollow points or wadcutters. I bought a bunch of the USGI mags from Ammoman and they are my range mags. If I carried ball ammo it wouldn't matter, but I carry hollow points so I use 47D's. I don't care how much my carry mags cost because I only need three. My other carry piece is an H&K P7 and the mags cost at least $45 each. The magazine is the weak link in any semi auto. If you're carrying for protection you really have to ask what's your life worth?

Originally Posted By Kwt:
How are GI mags? I noticed that they can be had pretty cheap.

Top Top