Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 2:02:48 PM EDT
Hope this is not to basic for you guys. I am looking for the correct stance ,and also do you shot with one eye open ,or both eyes open. If you guys have any links with this info it would be great,also info on sighting in will be good.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as correct stance find what is comfortable to you.  I would say that you should lean into the weapon as this helps to absorb recoil.  As far as oen eye or booth.  I think that it is better to shoot with both eyes open so that you can see what is going on around you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot pistols the way I was trained to.  Most guys here (and Gals too!) have had some kind of formal training.

I would reccommend it for you, to.

Doesn't have to be a knock-down drag out 40 hour class.  Spend $50 and go to a local range that has a qualified instructor.

Tell us what part of TX you're in, we can direct you accordingly.

If you are just lookin to punch paper, use the technique that keeps it in the 10 ring!

Good luck, and ask questions, if we don't know the answer, we'll make up something good!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer a Chapman stance.  It's a modified weaver, and it's very easy to learn.  In my very unprofessional opinion, it's the best practical stance for a beginner.

www.midwesttraininggroup.net/Tips/take_a_stand.htm
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are just starting out, bookmark the link below, and look at the pictures in Lesson 1. The other
lessons on trigger pull are pretty good too.

www.americanshooter.com/Features/features.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys keep it coming. I like the instructor idea,its a smart one, but I would like to be fully informed though. I mean the instructor will probably have his own style of shooting ,and will try to push this on me.
I have herd that when shooting it is wrong to close one  eye ,and I needed to learn to shoot with both eyes open. As for a stance , which will help to stay comfortable , and also keep steady for a accurate shot.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have herd that when shooting it is wrong to close one  eye ,and I needed to learn to shoot with both eyes open.

A lot of it depends on what you want to do with a pistol.  If you just want to make the tightest groups on paper, there's  nothing wrong with closing one eye.  If you want to put rounds on target smoothly and be aware of other "targets" nearby, it's better to leave both open.

As for a stance , which will help to stay comfortable , and also keep steady for a accurate shot.

Again, this is all about your goals.  The most effective combat stance isn't going to be "comfortable".   I like the Chapman, because it's easy to remember, even under stress.  It's pretty stable, even if you're a little off, but it's not really comfortable (only comforting ).  "Accuracy" is another situational variable.  If you're talking self defense, you want a combination of stance and speed that lets you keep your rounds in a 9" circle at target range.  That can be an ultra-stable stance (prone) shooting extremely fast or a more reasonable stance (Chapman, eg) shooting "pretty fast".
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#8]
pull the trigger. haha sorry, my guess is as good as yours.
sorry just wanted to be a wise ass.

bbr
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a fan of the " modified Weaver" I keep both eyes open when shooting strong side (with my right hand) and I have to close my right eye when shooting lefty (weak side). It might come down to how dominant your strong eye is.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Preogressively aggressive stance. Bend at the knees. Shoulders forward from hips, head forward from shoulders. This really keeps the pistol down.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Proper technique is to keep both eyes open. I'd say only about half of the shooters do this.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Some say you should square your feet with the target, but that screws up my arms. I put my left (non dominant) foot forward and lean heavily on it. If you were at Gunstock 2003 you may haves seen me shooting the plates. That was fun. The instructor ROing said I had good form.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#13]
After you've figured out basic stance, grip, and trigger pull, I've learned alot by videoing myself shooting with my Digital camera.  You see alot of bad habits that you don't realize you're doing during each shot.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Dont get overly concerned about your stance... in combat you are not going to be taking a "proper stance" when shooting at the BG.  

Learn to look at the front sight only... both eyes open... and learn to shoot from all kinds of positions... prone, standing, strong hand only, weak hand only etc...

If you are learning to shoot for self defense dont worry about "bullseye" shooting... worry about center mass.

Sight--->Acquire--->FIRE!

Learn fast, solid double taps.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Stress stance for me.....
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Dont get overly concerned about your stance... in combat you are not going to be taking a "proper stance" when shooting at the BG.  

Stance is important. With practice, it feels wrong to shoot in any other position and you automatically assume the one you practice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Stance is important. With practice, it feels wrong to shoot in any other position and you automatically assume the one you practice.

Negative, CJ.  I embarrass myself equally well in isocolese (sp?) AND weaver stances
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#20]
i use the same stance i use when i'm fighting.

handgun is just an extension

most important:

LEARN TO POINT SHOOT!  if the bad guy is far enough away to need your sights, you might be going to jail.

LEARN TO DOUBLE TAP!  this may take a lot of trigger time, but is pretty essential
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

LEARN TO POINT SHOOT!  if the bad guy is far enough away to need your sights, you might be going to jail.
Hogwash. The front sight is ALWAYS critical is shooting, self-defense or otherwise.

LEARN TO DOUBLE TAP!  this may take a lot of trigger time, but is pretty essential
This we can agree on.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yeah no kidding, I'm with Bob on that one; -1 on the point shooting stuff.

I am with Bob on this one too.

Remember..

1. Front site focus

2. High hand grip

3. Power stance

4. Important: LEARN TO ROLL THE TRIGGER WITHOUT MOVING THE FRONT SITE

I would get some training too, like a basic NRA Pistol Class. That would help with safety and you could get more instruction later.

There are also some good books and videos out there too.

And once you learn proper stance, grip, site picture, and trigger control DO A LOT OF DRY FIRE PRACTICE. It helps a whole lot. Make sure you can dry fire your gun, if you can't but some "Snap Caps". You can use them to dry fire away. Make sure when you dry fire there is no ammo in the room and the gun is pointed towards a good backstop, I use my fireplace.

Range time is good too, go to the range and record your progress. Strive to shoot better each time. But don't forget dry fire practice.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I shoot pistol.  While I have shot them, I don't shot a pistol.

Anyway, take a Tactical Handgun course.  You will learn more in 3 days than in years of self taught shooting.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:56:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Buy brian enos's book.  www.brianenos.com   All of the answers you seek are there.

Even the one eye/two eye thingy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hogwash. The front sight is ALWAYS critical is shooting, self-defense or otherwise.

+1 The only excuse for not using the front sight is if the BG is close enough that he can reach your gun before you can pull the trigger.  This range is a lot less than 7 yards.  If he's closer than that, yeah, shoot from the rear hand and don't use your sights (and don't shoot your lead arm).
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top