Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 8:32:31 AM EDT
What's the difference between Gen I and Gen II?
On my full size Kimber Custom it is stamped on the slide - "Custom Classic" - NOT "Custom Classic II"
I'm assuming this is a Gen I. Yes or no?

Then, I got lucky and picked up an Ultra Carry. Once again the slide is stamped "Ultra Carry" and NOT "Ultra Carry II"

So, are both these Gen I?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The series l does not have a firing pin safety.  The series ll has the firing pin safety which blocks the movement of the firing pin if the grip safety is not actuated.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The series l does not have a firing pin safety.  The series ll has the firing pin safety which blocks the movement of the firing pin if the grip safety is not actuated.

Both of my guns will not let me pull the trigger unless the grip safety is pushed in. As you stated above.
So even though it is not stamped on either of my slides, does that mean I do indeed have two Gen II weapons?

Although... the Custom does not have the pin underneath the slide as would be expected, neither does the Ultra.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Series 2 have the Swartz safety. Although I have never had a problem with either of Series 1 or Series 2, the series 1 tends to be the more desirable of the Kimbers by Kimber lovers. Good Job on both.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Both of my guns will not let me pull the trigger unless the grip safety is pushed in. As you stated above.
So even though it is not stamped on either of my slides, does that mean I do indeed have two Gen II weapons?

Although... the Custom does not have the pin underneath the slide as would be expected, neither does the Ultra.

That's they way the standard 1911 safety system works.  If you could pull the trigger without the grip safety being depressed, what would be the point of the grip safety?

The later design firing pin safety stops a severe impact to the muzzle end of the gun from causing it to discharge. That is, inertia isn't sufficient to cause a firing pin strike with that safety in place.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Series 2 have the Swartz safety. Although I have never had a problem with either of Series 1 or Series 2, the series 1 tends to be the more desirable of the Kimbers by Kimber lovers. Good Job on both.

Chris

That is what I thought.
On both buys the owners really didn't know what they had. They just figured a fair price, being a good name brand like Kimber, and called it good.
Each time I kept quiet, bought them and scurried away with my new treasure.

I'm happy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top