Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2003 11:31:02 PM EDT
Big wheel guns have sort of interested me for some time, and a .44 mag would seem to be the way to go should I feel the need to get another big handgun.

Looking for everyones opinion on what's the best DA .44, brand and model.  Feel free to drop pics to show off your .44's too.

Oh yeah, mostly plinking and target, not hunting, but would like a 5-6" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:31:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Smith M-29.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#2]
SnW M-29 or M-629

if you reload, consider a 57 or 657.  love that .41 mag.  

if you don't reload, consider getting into it when you get the magnum.  twice the fun at half the price.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi az-ar,
"Plinking?"  With a .44 Mag?
As far as target shooting goes, these are my thoughts.  Ruger's Super Red Hawk has the most comfortable grips due to its unique design.  This is important because for target shooting you're going to put some rounds through your gun.  - Doesn't matter in a hunting gun.  Unless you're particularly immune to recoil I'd recommend against a revolver with an exposed steel backstrap such as the Red Hawk or the Smith.
I've got a Super Red Hawk w/7.5" barrel and a 4x Leupold scope.  It's pretty much dedicated for target shooting, 100 yards in particular.  At that range I can pretty much stay inside of a 5.5" twenty-five yard pistol bullseye.
It's also more comfortable than shooting my Smith 686 4"  bl. with heavy loads.
Coolio
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Redhawk or Super Redhawk of course....
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#5]
personal preference would be The Ruger Super Redhawk .44 magnum, for all the reasons others have expressed here. pictures are at http://www.geocities.com/rugercal480
Ruger (Mike)
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hi az-ar,
"Plinking?"  With a .44 Mag?
[snip]

I'm sure it will be easier than plinking with my .454

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell yes! I plink with my .44mag too.

I strongly urge you towards S&W. Their 29 Classic model has the full lugged barrel which will cut down muzzle flip. Its S/S brothern is the Model 629.

I would avoid the Dan Wesson models as parts would be a PITA, IMO.

Ruger makes .44s built like a tank. Unfortunately, their triggers are about as smooth as a tank too. Rugers just don't balance anywhere near as well as a S&W, IMO.

In case you haven't yet tried it, .44s are loads of fun when shooting bowling pins. Cheap 2 liter cola bottles are fun too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I own a (nearly)10" Super Redhawk, and a 3" 629-1.  If I'm going to do a bunch of shooting, I'll stick with the Ruger.  That 3"er really kicks!

A $35 trigger job made the trigger on the Ruger GREAT!!!

As BobCole said, save all your 2 liter and gallon jugs, fill em with Tannerite water, and have fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Smith 29 and its accurate as hell.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a Smith 29 and its accurate as hell.

Same Here!!!!!! If only S&W would start making them in blue again with the wood grips!!!! Screw stainless and cheap rubber grips. Dirty Harry must be turning over in his grave.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Gots to go with the Smith&Wesson 29.  I've shot a super black hawk, and it is good.  The 29 is better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top