Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 5:05:27 PM EDT
I want to get a 9mm just because the ammo is lest costly than the .45 my other preferred handguns eat.  I already have a carry gun I'm satisfied with.  I really just want something I can shoot for less $$$, but is certer fire (not .22).  Don't get me wrong, I shoot .22 and love it.  I just need to know how you would decide between the 17 and 19.  I have never owned a Glock, but have always appreciated them.  I have the opportunity to purchase either for $399.00 plus ship/tax.  I just need to decide which one to start with.  Thanks for your help.

-Ratchman

4/19 edit

All good advice below.  I bought the 34 and have only fired about 150 rounds through it, but I really do like it.  The trigger surprised me...I like it much better than I thought I would.  After all this, now I want a 19 too.    It never ends.  Went to a local shoot today to watch.  All I could think about was how my new G34 was at home in the case wanting out...  Guess I got the sickness.

Thanks again for the advice guys.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I own the 19 and love it many others will say the same.
The 19 feels great in my hands the 17 seems like it has
to big of a handle. You cant go wrong with 19.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Either one would be great...I would go for the model 17... just because
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Go handle them, I have a 17 the wife has a 19. With the 19 my pinkey finger seems to hang off the grip.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#4]
For a single glock...  19, no question.  A 19 with night sights yields a wonderful overall, do-anything pistol.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It comes down to your hand size.  I have to have the pinky extension on my carry 19
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Some 1911 guys have issues with glock grip angles and the 19 and 17 do point differently for many people.  I would look hard at the G19, all things equal you may find it points better for you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#7]
G19 for me
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Both, of course.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both, they're both great pistols.  I think I prefer the G17..............the larger grip feels a bit better in my own hand, and I like the longer sight radius.  The difference from the G19 in this regard though, isn't all that much.  About half an inch.

G17 is a great pistol.  It's a modern day classic, really.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Get both, I did.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get both, I did.

Word.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Get both, shoot both, and keep your favorite. Then put the other one on Gunbroker so the idiots can buy it for $700  
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#13]
First Glock pistol I shot was a Glock 17 which was about 16 years ago.  Fast forward to the present and finally got around in purchasing my first Glock almost a couple years ago - a Glock 19.  I like compact sized pistols more that full size.  BTW, I'm selling my full size P220R and getting a Glock 30SF.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:28:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For a single glock...  19, no question.  A 19 with night sights yields a wonderful overall, do-anything pistol.

Yep. If I could only own one...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:45:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I want to get a 9mm just because the ammo is lest costly than the .45 my other preferred handguns eat.  I already have a carry gun I'm satisfied with.  I really just want something I can shoot for less $$$, but is certer fire (not .22).  Don't get me wrong, I shoot .22 and love it.  I just need to know how you would decide between the 17 and 19.  I have never owned a Glock, but have always appreciated them.  I have the opportunity to purchase either for $399.00 plus ship/tax.  I just need to decide which one to start with.  Thanks for your help.

-Ratchman

Hey, where they at - I want the one you don't take!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#16]
As you know, the only difference between the 2 is their size. If you're not going to CCW it then that's not an issue so what it comes down to is which one fits your hand better? I have both the 17 and 19. The 17 fits my hand much better then the 19 but I do find the 17 a little big for IWB-CCW (hence why I have the 19). Just try them both and get the one that feel better to you. The up side it, you can't go wrong either way!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the replies, guys.  I went to the funstore today and it looks like you all gave me some good advice.  I think what applied most to me was the suggestion to go see which one fit my hand best, the 17, or 19.  I don't really have any concerns about concealment for this gun, it's just for fun.  I fondled both guns and turns out I prefer the feel of the 17 due to the longer grip.  The back of the 19 grip stops short of the bottom of my hand.  I think I'm hooked on the 17, but I also want the 19 now.  I will probably buy both eventually.  But for now, I'm going to try the 17.  

There was a 22 at this shop that was different from all the other Glocks they had.  This 22 had stippling on the sides of the grip and a different kind of cocking serrations on the rear of the slide.  The serrations were semi-circular with the circular part facing the front of the gun.  They seemed deeper than the regular parallel, vertical serrations.  That could have just been my impression.  The design of the semi-circular serrations was very effective.  It seemed easier to hold a grip on the slide while cycling it.  The stippling made the gun feel more stable when I gripped it  Very little pressure on my part made it seem as if I was gripping it with more pressure than I really was.  Very nice and effective!  Anyway, both these "upgrades" were very effective and I consider them desirable.  I was told that the next of the Glocks that will receive this treatment is the 17.  So, I'm holding out again till that version comes out.  once it does, I'm gonna be a Glock 17 owner.  

Anyone know if this is the new generation 4 Glock?    

I'm more excited than every about finally getting one of these fine pistols.  I've never owned one before, but I'm really looking forward to it now.  Guess now,  I'm another waiter...
    Thank you all for your advice.  It helped.  Once I get the new heater, I'll post pics.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

google "Glock RTF"
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

google "Glock RTF"

There you go.  Thanks.  I gotta say, I liked it.  I didn't find the grip too abrassive for my taste at all.  And I actually thought the new serration cuts were nice too.  I'm sure purists will be slow to adopt or may never come around to liking it.  For me, it was an improvement over previous generations I have tried.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#20]
When I took my NRA class I was shooting the Glock 19 and Glock 17.. I wanted the 19 but after shooting both I found I wanted the Glock 17 a whole lot more then the GLock 19.. You have to try both as its all about the size of your hands.. I will say I know alot more people that like the Glock 17 then the 19.. but what ever works for you best is what you are going to want..
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:36:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I did a google on the new glock, I really dont like new look but it might grow on me.. imo they made it look more like a M&P or Ruger.. I hope they dont change the look of the Glock 19 or 23 since they will be my next glocks..
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#22]
There is no right or wrong answer to this. Get the one that feels best in YOUR hand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#23]
If this is just a fun gun and you like the 17 I would consider the 34. Besides the slide and barrel it uses the same parts of the 17 and is much more fun to shoot. G19s have been extremely popular these days and a harder to find. G17s are everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I have both the G17 and G19. I carry the G19, use the G17 in IDPA. If I could only have one I would keep the G19.
Thank God I am not limited to 1, and we do not live in a country that has to justify need.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#25]
While I don't own a 9mm, I recommend you get a G34 for just shooting.  The longer sight radius makes them a favorite with many here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I just had to make that decision myself and I decided on the 19. my friend brought out one of each and after shooting them both I like the feel of the 19 better.
I like the length of the 17, but I felt more comfortable with the 19.

Good Luck, AP
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#27]
The only reason you'd get a G17 if you wanted to shoot in IPSC (internationally).

G34 if you're not going to conceal it, G19 if you are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top