Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 9:27:52 AM EDT
I'm trying to give my wife some ideas on what to give me for our 10th aniversary. This gun would be more of a general purpose gun. Not for carry and nor for target. Budget is about approx $1500 but this is not a hard and fast figure. With any firearm I feel reliability is paramount, so I don't want it as tightly tuned as a pure target gun.

So what 1911 would you get with $1500? Right now I am not partial to any brands, but I believe in buying QUALITY.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#1]
While I love all five of my Kimbers, for that kind of budget I'd get a Les Baer or Ed Brown.  

I would NOT get a Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
While I love all five of my Kimbers, for that kind of budget I'd get a Les Baer.  

I would NOT get a Wilson Combat.

+1 on the Baer.  Even though I should have some loyalty to Wilson since they are made here in Arky land!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd get a Colt series 70 in blue and maybe get some upgrades now if money allows, then wait for more money down the road for more mods if desired.  I've had Kimbers (type I), Springfield loaded, Springfield GI that has Yost-Bonitz 1* Enhanced package, Colt series 80 that has near full house Yost-Bonitz custom treatment, and a Colt series 70.  I do like the Colts that much better.  Least favorite was Kimber, too much hype (MIM bells and whistles and fancy aestetics), not enough quality metalurgy, and was not reliable .  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#4]
LES BAER

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for MonkeyGrip's advice, if you don't go with a Baer.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Yo-Bo 1* Enhanced built on a SA milspec.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Big +1

And if they were still available, the ADCO/RRA 1911
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Rock River Arms

If you don't want it so tight you can't use it, stay away from Les Baer.

Also look at Ed Brown.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1

And if they were still available, the ADCO/RRA 1911

+2 doesn't have to be expensive to be reliable.

Buy AMMO!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#12]
You said out of the box, right?  Look at  STI.  I think the Eagle 5.0.  Around $1500.  High cap composite 1911 frame, operates like a GI .45, has all the custom tricks (but is a production gun), close tolerances (certainly better than  a Kimber), shoots well enough for competition, but can carry for self defense or duty (if you like the 1911).  My thoughts on Kimbers for what its worth:  I think they are regular production guns just dressed up with all the bells and whistles.  They certainly are not fit like a custom gun and it shows on the paper.  The STI seems like the middle ground between the Kimbers and a quality custom.  Again, based on what the groups will look like.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, Iguess you didn't say out of the box! Anyway, I stand by what I said.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Wait, you did say out of the box!, I've been drinking, sorry.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Rock River Arms

Also look at Ed Brown.

Rock River arms are also very tight unless you specify otherwise when you order it.  

Anyway, I have two Les Baers.  One has 3k rounds through it without a hitch (stinger).  I liked it so much I bought a Les Baer TRS, I have 2k rounds through that, also no problems.  Admited it is very tight at first, after 1k rounds the thing is like on ball bearings.  Great guns.  

FYI, get a carbon steel, they break in better and faster (the blued guns) don't get stainless.  After you break it in and beat the snot out of it send it to Virgil Tripp to get hard chromed.  That is the best combo.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm curious as to what you base your opinion on.  

My Premier II (1.5" guarantee at 50 yards) has been flawless.  The slide to frame fit was tight when new, yes.  With 1k rounds through it, it's smooth as grease on glass with no play.

The only stoppage I've ever had was a reloaded cartridge that wouldn't chamber - it was swollen at the head and wouldn't fit a Dillon case gauge, so it wasn't the gun's fault.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Baer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Colt just did a run of the CCO with the aluminum frame and the series 70 insides for its Gunsite CCO this year.

Very nice piece and a decent price.
Great gun to get, carry, shoot and then get a real nice custom job built off of when funds allow.

If you want a high end name Id say Ed Brown, I am not a Baer fan.
They seem to be more range and targer guns in my mind.  To each their own, I am not trying to start the Brown Baer debate.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#19]
If you are putting thousands of rounds down range I would stray away from aluminum.  If you want a lightweight 1911 go with a caspian titanium
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Can't go wrong with Brown.

SF
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Titanium is great but it is still about 40% heavier than the aluminum Caspian officers frame (that's just a ballpark guess, I do not have the #'s in front of me but ).
As this is a CCW piece I will not need to put thousands of rounds downrange.

More people are starting to see and understand the desire for aluminum as a CCW gun.  Just look at the limited edition Yost is doing

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2479

Quite pricey is you ask me but they have quite a few orders already.  Obviously people want a aluminum frame if he is making this and obviously he has confidence in it as he would not ask Caspian to do this run just for him nor would he be willing to put his name on something he did not feel was quality.

I think Baer guns are great for the right thing, comp or range guns.
The fit on them is almost too tight for a CCW in my mind (and many others as well) BUT then again there are MANY others who would swear the Baer stinger is the best CCW piece made so to each their own.  If you are confident it will work when you really need it, that is all that matters.  As I said, myself I do not feel confident in an Ed Brown for that as well as MANY other brands.

Keep in mind the Baer, Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson arguments are nothing more than opinions and those are just like cowboy hats and hymroids (how the hell do you spell that anyway??) Sooner or later every A**Hole has the one.  They are all quality guns just everyone does not have the same needs or even functionality as your grip can affect it

*****  Edited to ad, I had this post confused with another and saw he is NOT using this as a CCW piece so I guess none of that about the CCO etc really matters, no need for the Aluminum Titanium debate here as I don't want to hijack anyones thread but I would agree if this gun is nor for CCW your choice would be Titanium, still light enough to CCW if you need and strong as an OX! ****
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#22]
1* enhanced, Les Baer TRS (used lightly they can be found for $1300-1500) or RRA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#23]
COLT...........38 SUPER........(Colt Custom).....Bright Stainless......Pearl Grips.

KILLER

Dave
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Here one for the group or for me. I purchased a Springfield  loaded 450 used. I'm going to send it to  Bob Marvel  and have him do his Hardball conversion for 750.00. It will shoot sub 2 inch groups at 50 yard. No BS his gun have won 21 national matchs. Total cost with shipping 1200.00.
If you don't want the Hardball conversion do the barrel and trigger job for 500.00, total cost 950.00. It still should be a sub 3 inch 50 yard gun.  

TJ  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Valtro. It is a custom gun in a box.
http://www.valtrousa.com/handguns.html
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I would have to say a Government-sized Baer, with emphasis on the TRS.  

RRAs seem to be high quality as well, though not as widely known.

The Yost-Bonitz 1* on a Springfield is fine but I have a problem -- in principle -- with paying that much for any Springfield, and the basic package isn't something I'd be completely happy with.

Valtros would be nice if you can get them, but now I think Jardine has way too many orders and not enough hours in the day, so good luck getting on that list.

As for Wilson and Brown, there are plenty of fans of their 1911s here but they don't have guns in the $1500 price range that interest me; YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#27]
My vote would be Les Baer, Springfield Pro, Ed Brown, RockRiver Arms all very high end 1911's
and great out of the box guns.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#28]
The STI Lawman can be had around $1400.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I've gotta go with the Yost as well.  Although a Baer would be an excellent choice in that price range (Brown is not really in that price range), the fact that you can have a truly customized 1911 from the smiths at Yost-Bonitz is a STEAL at their prices.  I believe the 1* packages by Yost are the best value out there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I sold a used Kobra for $1500 a year or so ago. That was a great buy. The gun was good looking, and totally reliable.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm trying to give my wife some ideas on what to give me for our 10th aniversary. This gun would be more of a general purpose gun. Not for carry and nor for target. Budget is about approx $1500 but this is not a hard and fast figure. With any firearm I feel reliability is paramount, so I don't want it as tightly tuned as a pure target gun.

So what 1911 would you get with $1500? Right now I am not partial to any brands, but I believe in buying QUALITY.

First look at what you want/need on the gun and what you will be using the gun for, then go from there.  All of the previous reply's recommend great people.  Eventhough, most companies provide packages, you can always change/add certain components and features without effecting the overall cost by too much or at all.  $1500 is still a lot of money so take your time with that amount you should be able to find what you are looking for without compromising quality in any way.
Good luck and merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
i32.photobucket.com/albums/d39/sff70/DSCN2997.jpg

i32.photobucket.com/albums/d39/sff70/DSCN3002.jpg

I know where that is!

Haven't been up that way in quite some time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#33]
For what it's worth, I have been drooling over the Wilson Combat CQB in the 5" barrel.  The other pistol I've had my eye on for awhile is the SA TRP (one of the models the FBI HRT uses).  I held one awhile back.  A very, very sweet gun!

Lima
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I would only trust a couple of 1911's priced under $1500.

(1.) Adco RRA (Now the standard "Basic Carry")
(2.) Wilson CQB - they can be found under $1500

This isn't including production guns that have gotten a reliability job like the Yost *1 or Hilton Yam Code 3. Obviously these guns would more than "Good To Go". I’m just referring to production or semi-customs that are priced under $1500 and relatively easy to locate/purchase.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#35]
big fan of my wilson KZ.  But I just got 'the book of the 1911' and MAN I'm itching for a nighthawk!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Valtro. It is a custom gun in a box.
http://www.valtrousa.com/handguns.html

Unfortunately a 3 year wait if you can get on the list. My understanding is the basic model is now around $2000+. I picked up a lightly used (approximately 3000 rounds for $1800.) and feel "lucky". The last one I know that sold (about 3 or so months ago) was $2500 used and I don't know the round count. I sent mine in to Tripp Research for a matte chrome finish. Very impressive 1911 as to fit, finish and accuracy. Of all the semi- custom 1911s you can buy, the Valtro either new or used is easily the hardest to come by.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I would only trust a couple of 1911's priced under $1500.

(1.) Adco RRA (Now the standard "Basic Carry")
(2.) Wilson CQB - they can be found under $1500[/red

]This isn't including production guns that have gotten a reliability job like the Yost *1 or Hilton Yam Code 3. Obviously these guns would more than "Good To Go". I’m just referring to production or semi-customs that are priced under $1500 and relatively easy to locate/purchase.

IM MT_Pockets  New basic CQB for $1700 delivered. Turn around time is about 6-8 weeks. MT_Pockets (Mark Thompson) is also GREAT to deal with. BTW: Happy New Years Mark!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
For what it's worth, I have been drooling over the Wilson Combat CQB in the 5" barrel.  The other pistol I've had my eye on for awhile is the SA TRP (one of the models the FBI HRT uses).  I held one awhile back.  A very, very sweet gun!

Lima

I have a TRP w/ the Armory Kote - it is very nice - It's usually in the $1200 range, but I got my new on on closeout for $1000.

U may be thinking of the Springfield professional (the TRP is modelled after it, but is cheaper). The Professional is a gun I would LOVE to have, but is about $2k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top