Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 5:31:12 PM EDT
Im in the process of acquiring a Springfield Standard 1911 and was wondering what ammo to feed it?  Out of my Sig 9mm I mainly used Winchester White Box, is there any reason why I should move on to something else?  I dont really want to pay over $20 a box for ammo.
Has anyone had any experience with South African Ammo before? It seems like a killer deal.  If not I'll probably just go with a case of Winchester White Box .45 to start off with.  Any help would be great.

Joe
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I use CCI Blazer Brass in my Kimber and have no complaints about it.  I get it from Natchez.  CCI Blazer Brass
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for CCI Blazer Brass. 2,000 rounds zero problems.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#3]
220 grain seems a bit odd, but then again I'm not in south africa.  

Winnie White Box sells for 17.79/100 at one of the walmarts locally.  (And if thats in error I will be displeased with the person who informs Walmart of that error)  Speer lawman is good also, but not necessarily cheap.

I'll also agree with blazer brass, however around here I've never really been able to find it cheap enough to preference it over WWB.  I've found the aluminum case ammo to be kinda dependent on the pistol.  Some like the aluminum ammo while other pistols do not.  

However, I ran 200rds of MFS ammo tonight which was truely foul.  While it was fairly accurate, it was also quite smoky and left my stainless springfield looking as if it took a sunday saunter through a soot pile.  Then again I paid $6/box for it so I guess I get what I paid for...

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
i feed whatever is still in good condition or not +p

WWB, blazers, wolf  are stapes for me
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have the time, take up reloading. I invested about $125 in a reloading set in the spring of this year. I use Rainier bullets and Universal Clays powder, and even paying an exhorbitant amount locally for primers, the investment has paid for itself twice already as compared to my standard allotment of WWB.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:30:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I use Federal American Eagle 230gr. FMJ for the range and it has always performed well for me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Gerber---er wait, I thought you meant :P
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you have the time, take up reloading. I invested about $125 in a reloading set in the spring of this year. I use Rainier bullets and Universal Clays powder, and even paying an exhorbitant amount locally for primers, the investment has paid for itself twice already as compared to my standard allotment of WWB.

Yep.

As the patient incubates the terminal 1911 infection, the only known treatment is to begin an immediate regimen of reloading.  

It doesn't cure the disease but it eases the pain somewhat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top