Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 6:25:21 PM EDT
I recently picked up a used/New in the box Colt 1911 re-issue, Army black version.  I picked it up with the intension of doing some mild customizing....new higher profile sights, commander hammer, modified grip safety, maybe a lowered ejection port?  Something along the lines of a MEU(SOC) .45.  The WW1 re-issue has what I'm looking for in a 1911, no FPS, flat MSH, long trigger and a Colt.  

I was about ready to get the project going, then I got thinking.  While this is not really a true collectable, it is a limited issue Colt.  Maybe I don't want to chop it up?  Should I get it customized?  Sell it?  What would you do?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I would hang on to it and get a regular 70 series then have at it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I plan to buy two Colt re-issues, one to keep stock and one to customize.  Since the re-issue is so beautiful...the only way I'd really cut into it is if I was sending it to one of the premier custom gun shops.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]
When I started getting into guns back in the '70s, Colt was making a lot of limited edition commemorative guns.  Some can be seen here with current asking prices: http://www.cherrys.com/comminv.htm  

If the one you bought was a 1 of only 10 built, then I'd say leave it alone.  But there are a lot of the same model you bought out there.  

Personally, I'd get if fixed up how you want it.  You will get a lot more enjoyment out of it in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I think some light aesthetic and functional modifications like what Jason Burton did on this old commercial Colt would be cool on something like that if you decide to modify it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Answers are always mixed on these types of questions but in the end, it is YOUR pistol. If you are not a "collector" and you want a M1911 style that is updated then the WWI re-pro is the one to do it to. If you can get by with an S70 re-pro (M1911A1 style) then they are less "collectible" and less expensive (in most cases) to begin with. An updated WWI re-pro would be a nice piece, though, with it's mix of the best of old and new.
I have a WWI re-pro (Carbonia Blue) that I shoot but it is unmodified as I have no intention of using it for CCW.

"Good Luck !" in whatever you decide to do.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:05:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Shoot me a PM if you think of selling it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd do it. Make a retro functional one. VZ gi grips maybe, Ted Yost sights. Smith and Alexander checkered MSH with lanyard loop, etc.

If I can find one of the reissue Colts, 1911A1 or 1911, I'll probably do it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Answers are always mixed on these types of questions but in the end, it is YOUR pistol. If you are not a "collector" and you want a M1911 style that is updated then the WWI re-pro is the one to do it to. If you can get by with an S70 re-pro (M1911A1 style) then they are less "collectible" and less expensive (in most cases) to begin with. An updated WWI re-pro would be a nice piece, though, with it's mix of the best of old and new.
I have a WWI re-pro (Carbonia Blue) that I shoot but it is unmodified as I have no intention of using it for CCW.

"Good Luck !" in whatever you decide to do.

this is the best answer

if you want to shoot and modify a pistol styled after the original M1911, do it to the O1918

if you want to collect an M1911, sell the O1918, and buy an original one you can keep in your safe and look at from time to time.

i would shoot an O1911 if I could find one for a good price

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I would have no problems attacking that sob with my files, dremel, and vert mill.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Two words.. MARS Armament.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Mail it to Jason Burton with a large sum of money and a vague promise to love him long time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I would have no problems attacking that sob with my files, dremel, and vert mill.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/wetidlerjr/Smilies/speechless-smiley-040.gif

Its a gun, nothing more. If I am going to use it I need it to fit me.
eta
after a hack job or two, i can work around a 1911 well enough to get me in trouble.
"A man's got to know his limitations."
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Ayrton Senna would say that once you reach the limit, it is no longer the limit, and you must push forward.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]

That is farking hot!!

I'm into it for a bit under $900...not too bad I think.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I'd do it. If I had money and were old enough to buy the damned thing, I would have done so a long time ago. I've seen some stellar accuracy reports for that model, and according to the other forums it is very well put together. I'd probably replace the sights with something tasteful and leave well enough alone though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I recently picked up a used/New in the box Colt 1911 re-issue, Army black version. I picked it up with the intension of doing some mild customizing....new higher profile sights, commander hammer, modified grip safety, maybe a lowered ejection port? Something along the lines of a MEU(SOC) .45. The WW1 re-issue has what I'm looking for in a 1911, no FPS, flat MSH, long trigger and a Colt.

I was about ready to get the project going, then I got thinking. While this is not really a true collectable, it is a limited issue Colt. Maybe I don't want to chop it up? Should I get it customized? Sell it? What would you do?

Since everyone else in this thread is INSANE...here is some sagely advice:

Sell the Re-issue and get an S-70 repro and spend a couple more bucks getting it just right.

Since you do have a semi minimalist mindset ( which I applaud ) I highly reccommend Jason Burton or Ted Yost.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mail it to Jason Burton with a large sum of money and a vague promise to love him long time.

Best post I've seen all day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is farking hot!!

I'm into it for a bit under $900...not too bad I think.

That package from MARS should run another 900-1000 or so. Or you can go retro...

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/wetidlerjr/Smilies/speechless-smiley-040.gif

eta

after a hack job or two, i can work around a 1911 well enough to get me in trouble.

Humor, sense of  

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:44:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

eta

Humor, sense of    

Hence the Dirty Harry line.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:00:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends.

Down the road a NIB re-issue will hold value.

You paid for it. Do what you want with it.

30 years from now ARF will be talking shit about the guy who carried in a NIB Colt WW1 and had it customized.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top