Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2014 5:33:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2014 5:34:53 PM EDT by dogesco93]
Turn 21 in a few months. Been itching to finally get my CCW.

Long story short, I already have a g19 that I bought when I turned 18. That is my only pistol.

For my birthday my dad has already told me he's going to get me a pistol that we look at together.

So, here I am getting some ideas.

I want something that will last the rest of my life and can pass on. I want something classy, but practical. Turning 21 is a big milestone and the gift from my father will be incredibly sentimental for the rest of my life.

I would  also prefer something that I can carry from time to time.

Should I look into a basic 1911? Or maybe a nice snub nose?

Not looking for necessarily a glock or the other polymers.. We kicked the idea around that a glock 26 would be nice but I would prefer something a little 'sexier' than the bare bones g26. I love glocks, and will be getting a subcompact in the future, but for now the g19 fits my needs.

All advice is welcome.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:43:52 PM EDT
At first I was going to suggest a G-26, but I think a nice 1911 or a BHP might be the way to go......
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:47:34 PM EDT
If you like 1911s, they would be a good idea for something with sentimental value.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:51:30 PM EDT
A classic blue steel smith  revolver (or a colt python if you really want to break the bank)- an under appreciated art form- a mid size k or l frame 38/357 should be in every collection- not modern tacticool but one of the most accurate reliable versatile guns a person can own!
I tend to look at my pistols as what games can I use them for in addition to ccw:
357 mag four inch barrel ( understanding there is some compromise here but not as much as with "modern" auto pistols)
Small to medium game hunting
Bulleye competition
Idpa/ ipsc
Carry home def
A good solid revolver can cover this ground better than any other gun
Hot 357 for hunting
Light 357 for carry
38 round nose for idpa ipsc ppc
Wadcutters for bullseye and training
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:51:57 PM EDT
If it feels good in your hand, You should shoot it well. Try a 1911. Get hooked.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:54:10 PM EDT
A good 1911 or a good S&W revolver.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:54:14 PM EDT
1911, tons to choose from, they range from $700-$5000+
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:54:21 PM EDT
If its going to be sentimental, get a metal gun with some character.
Personally, I would go with a CZ-75B.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:56:18 PM EDT
I would go with a 1911
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:57:30 PM EDT
I would get a nickel plated 1911.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_895/products_id/712005656/CIMARRON+1911A1+.45ACP
Then put pearl grips and a clipdraw on it, or get a shark skin holster!
As far as revolvers go, I'd say you have to go used because of the stupid locks S&W puts on them now.
My choises: new or used 642 no-lock, used pre lock 36 (the ikonic "Chiefs Special", the 1st J-frame), Colt Python, Colt detective special. Charter Bulldog .44.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:05:01 PM EDT
G21 for turning 21?

Or get a nice 1911
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:10:09 PM EDT
Colt 1911

Great pistol that will hold it's value, both in sentimentality and price.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:23:08 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Buckshot556:
G21 for turning 21?
View Quote

I was thinking same thing. Didn't make it when I turned 21.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:31:11 PM EDT
Shield is an awesome carry gun and is built very well but isn't really anything special.

SP101 in .357 maybe a talo edition    http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUKSP321XEN

1911  I think they got the "looks"  department and is a classic
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:33:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:54:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2014 7:57:12 PM EDT by FortyFiveAutomatic]
I'd get a full-rail Rock Island 1911 tactical, if you want to save money and still get an awesome piece that will last.

Link
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:45:52 PM EDT
If it weren't for the ammunition shortage I'd say get a .22.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:46:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By unseenSNIPER:

If you like 1911s, they would be a good idea for something with sentimental value.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 1:36:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2014 1:37:27 AM EDT by jscheel1]
Wouldn't you rather have something that your Dad already owns, and perhaps you've shot together? When I turned 21 (I was in the service, and stationed in Panama), Dad gave me his Colt Gold Cup. This is a gun we fired many times together, and I go back in time every time I handle it..............

And in 50 years, a 1911 will still be relevant. (sorry Glock guys)
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 1:47:32 AM EDT
1911, bhp, or cz75b. Polymers are a dime a dozen and you already have a g19. Get something that is special.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:50:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Flattopfan:
$5000 but oh so worth it!
View Quote

wanna know how I know you're gay?

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:54:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2014 8:55:32 AM EDT by haydendavid380]
Originally Posted By Bullet_:
Colt 1911

View Quote

O1970A1CS

Keep it until you die.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:57:31 AM EDT
When I first read this, I thought you meant your 21st pistol?  

The 1911 is a solid choice to make it something meaningful.  A 686 Plus is also another option for a S&W 357 Mag revolver that'll last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:04:55 AM EDT
An H&K P2000SK might be something to consider. I have had a few CCW pistols (SiG P239, P2000SK, M&Pc, G33) but I keep going back to my G26 for normal CCW and my Kahr PM9 for hot weather. A "Plain old G26" as called is not so "plain old" when it comes to everyday, all day carry, and shoot-ability. just my $.015
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:40:02 AM EDT
ruger sr1911?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 2:23:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By haydendavid380:

O1970A1CS

Keep it until you die.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By haydendavid380:
Originally Posted By Bullet_:
Colt 1911

O1970A1CS

Keep it until you die.

Pick of the litter IMHO

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 2:42:54 PM EDT
Perhaps a Sig, which is an out of left field suggestion for me, but it seems like the way to go for what you want it for.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:28:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jscheel1:
Wouldn't you rather have something that your Dad already owns, and perhaps you've shot together? When I turned 21 (I was in the service, and stationed in Panama), Dad gave me his Colt Gold Cup. This is a gun we fired many times together, and I go back in time every time I handle it..............

View Quote

my dad isnt a huge gun guy. he had quite a lot of guns. then, 3 years ago, house got broken into and gun safe stolen. lost a lot of guns from grandparents/family as well as some sentimental guns he had. he was given an 1187 when he graduated high school and it got stolen. he never really got back into guns after that. he just bought a few pistols and that was it.

he does have a few handguns that didnt get stolen, but he holds those close. i will inherit those someday.

thanks for all of the replies so far. im thinking that a 1911 will probably be the best bet. i do like the idea of a g21 for turning 21, but that's something i can pick up later on. a full metal and classic 1911 would be awesome.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:47:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dogesco93:

my dad isnt a huge gun guy. he had quite a lot of guns. then, 3 years ago, house got broken into and gun safe stolen. lost a lot of guns from grandparents/family as well as some sentimental guns he had. he was given an 1187 when he graduated high school and it got stolen. he never really got back into guns after that. he just bought a few pistols and that was it.

he does have a few handguns that didnt get stolen, but he holds those close. i will inherit those someday.

thanks for all of the replies so far. im thinking that a 1911 will probably be the best bet. i do like the idea of a g21 for turning 21, but that's something i can pick up later on. a full metal and classic 1911 would be awesome.

View All Quotes

Maybe through your enthusiasm and enjoyment of guns and shooting, you can bring Dad back into the fold. Some of the best memories I have of my Dad, were shooting and fishing. I have him to thank for my love of the outdoors, and everything thing shooting related.............
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:10:37 PM EDT

View All Quotes

If you like 1911s sounds like  a good way to go.  My recommendation for what you described would be a SIG, but I can't fault you for the 1911 either.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:24:47 PM EDT
Basic Springfield Armory GI model 1911 would be a great sentimental gun and won't break the bank ~$600
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:08:08 PM EDT
Glock 21.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:36:24 PM EDT
I bought my son a 1911 for his 21st birthday.

He's only 2 1/2 now, but was born in 2011 so I got a 100th anniversary commemorative Colt.
" something that will last the rest of my life and can pass on.... gift from my father will be incredibly sentimental for the rest of my life" I'd go 1911.

I don't own a 1911 (yet), but it's just a classic.  Perhaps my boy will let me shoot his in 19 years
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:37:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CaribouLou45:
Basic Springfield Armory GI model 1911 would be a great sentimental gun and won't break the bank ~$600
View Quote

This is what I think I'm going to look into more.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:39:43 PM EDT

Maybe through your enthusiasm and enjoyment of guns and shooting, you can bring Dad back into the fold. Some of the best memories I have of my Dad, were shooting and fishing. I have him to thank for my love of the outdoors, and everything thing shooting related.............
View All Quotes

We still fish together. I've tried to get him to shoot with me more, interest just isn't there like it used to. We used to go dove hunting all the time before the guns got stolen. Since his shotgun was stolen, he hasn't even replaced it. We haven't been on a dove shoot together in four years. I know he loves that I'm into shooting, and he still goes with me time to time. I think he just got burnt out. Not 100% sure
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:41:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SharnPenndroen:

If you like 1911s sounds like  a good way to go.  My recommendation for what you described would be a SIG, but I can't fault you for the 1911 either.
View All Quotes

I love SIGs, but I'm trying to stray away from the 1000+ guns. Like the posters who mentioned Colts. I would love a Colt 1911, but dont want to ask him of that. I would be willing to go in and put money towards whatever, but I dont think he would want that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:41:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By soulman:
I bought my son a 1911 for his 21st birthday.

He's only 2 1/2 now, but was born in 2011 so I got a 100th anniversary commemorative Colt.
" something that will last the rest of my life and can pass on.... gift from my father will be incredibly sentimental for the rest of my life" I'd go 1911.

I don't own a 1911 (yet), but it's just a classic.  Perhaps my boy will let me shoot his in 19 years
View Quote

that's just awesome
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:05:56 PM EDT
My suggestion would be a nice 1911, not something completely over the top, something perhaps below $1600, that way you dont feel bad putting holster wear on it, or shooting it, or carrying it. But it is nice enough to be proud of, and to keep forever.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:23:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kilowhiskey23:
My suggestion would be a nice 1911, not something completely over the top, something perhaps below $1600, that way you dont feel bad putting holster wear on it, or shooting it, or carrying it. But it is nice enough to be proud of, and to keep forever.

View Quote

Would the Springfield mil-spec be nice? Or would a Colt really be worth the extra $5-600?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:31:24 PM EDT

I love SIGs, but I'm trying to stray away from the 1000+ guns. Like the posters who mentioned Colts. I would love a Colt 1911, but dont want to ask him of that. I would be willing to go in and put money towards whatever, but I dont think he would want that.
View All Quotes

I hear ya. The SIG could be had for right at or just under a grand. I wouldn't want to ask my dad to spend that kind of cheddar either. Kind of my qualms about going 1911 because if I were to get back into them, I would be at a price over a grand.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:48:11 PM EDT
1911, BHP, or a nice Ruger .22
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:14:50 AM EDT
HK USP Tactical 45

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:40:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2014 6:41:59 AM EDT by haydendavid380]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CaribouLou45:

You can't beat a RIA GI at half that price if inexpensive is the route you're going.

I'd get a Rock @ $350 or a Colt 1991 @ $875

I have a hard time justifying the middle ground.

ETA- this is just if you're looking at GI type models.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:57:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2014 8:01:47 AM EDT by gotuonpaper]
Originally Posted By unseenSNIPER:
View Quote

Springfield Loaded

Maybe even in 9mm?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:05:09 PM EDT
1911s are fun to own and shoot.  And I love the .45 caliber.   But not for your 1st pistol.  I'm an older model Sig P series kinda guy.  But what I recommended to my son was a G17 for his 1st pistol.   All the Tac guys are returning to 9mm platform.

So, I say G17

Read this before you buy your first 1911

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2011/06/08/read-this-before-you-buy-your-first-1911/
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:11:58 PM EDT
View Quote

That would technically be a machinegun, I believe. It fires 2 bullets per pull of the trigger, right?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:38:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AASG:

That would technically be a machinegun, I believe. It fires 2 bullets per pull of the trigger, right?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AASG:

Not really.  It has two triggers.  It's simply, and stupidly, two complete 1911 mehcanisms in a single frame.
A friend of mine attended the SHOT show and talked to the folks that make it.  It was never intended as a serious product,
just an attention getter for the company.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:43:16 AM EDT
ruger 22/45
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:03:08 PM EDT
You mention not wanting to ask your dad to spend  $1000. What's your limit?

If you want to go 1911, (depending n your location), you might be able to find a springer range officer for around $750. A mil spec maybe about 100 bucks less.
Top Top