Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2003 10:49:23 PM EDT
I just picked up one of these off a table at a show, with no mag.  It had a mag well funnel on it, and just eyeballing it, I thought it took standard 1911 mags.  It doesn't, they protrude maybe a half-inch (maybe .45 inch?).  Is this the Officers Model length?  OK to buy a couple of Wilsons  Officers Model mags for carry and continue to use regular 1911 mags on the range?

TIA.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:27:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yours not being the first auto sold without a magazine makes me wonder where they all go?
That 1/2 inch or so of protrusion makes for a positive lock in for range use and what could the harm be in using the slightly longer ones for the carry spares? Without the benefit if the base plate to stop over-insertion, you shouldn't slam them home, that would be the only drawback I can think of.
Awesome gun, BTW.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn it's quiet in here, thanks anothergene for your response.  For all those dying to know, per Kimber's web page it takes an Officer's mag.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#3]
With that funnel, wouldn't you need a longer magazine or a slam pad to seat it home anyway?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Funnel, like most other useless add-ons, came off the gun within a half-hour of it crossing the threshold of my house . . .
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
My Custom Compact also will accept the Officers, however the Chip McCormack 7 round Shooting Stars work too and hold 1 more round than the Colt. I got them from Midway.

MM419
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
How do you like those?

About 10 years ago, I got four shooting stars, standard GM size.  They worked fine for awhile.  Then . . .

On two of them, the baseplates popped off when I slapped them into the gun.  On the other two, I started getting FTFs on the last shot.

Some people like 'em but that was my experience.  My preference for a 1911 mag that works but doesn't cost a fortune is Mec-Gar.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]
So far so good. Only thing that has happened is the rubber base plate screws stripped really easy. I didn't like them anyway. I like Mec Gars also, but haven't seen them around for awhile. Where to get Mec Gars?

Thanks

MM419
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Try CDNN.  I just received yesterday four more GM Mec_Gars and four SA Officer's mags.  The Officers mags are apparently made by Shooting Star since the logo is on the follower.

Fingers crossed . . .

The GM mags were like $8 and the Officers were like $9.  Smokin'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top