Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 9:27:06 AM EDT
What do you use to protect and lubricate the inside metal parts that are not exposed in a field strip?  

I have been having rust problems.  Is it likely a matter of poor lube/protector or frequency of total disassembly?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:29:51 AM EDT

Quoted:

What do you use to protect and lubricate the inside metal parts that are not exposed in a field strip?  

I have been having rust problems.  Is it likely a matter of poor lube/protector or frequency of total disassembly?

Rust problems, really?  I'm kinda surprised unless your storage area is very very humid, or the gun got wet.

I use CorrosionX:  http://www.corrosionx.com/gun_use.html

I have never had so much as a single spot of rust on any firearm since I started using it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:21:50 AM EDT
I just use clp but have never had a rust issue. Do you expose it to high humidity conditions?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:31:18 PM EDT
Froglube! stuff is the bomb
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:35:50 PM EDT

Quoted:

I just use clp but have never had a rust issue. Do you expose it to high humidity conditions?

He is in Indiana, its very humid there in the summer, but I'm in IL, which is just as bad and none of my glocks have any rust issues at all.

Unless maybe it got wet once and wasn't dried out in a short time frame?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:17:22 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

He is in Indiana, its very humid there in the summer, but I'm in IL, which is just as bad and none of my glocks have any rust issues at all.

Unless maybe it got wet once and wasn't dried out in a short time frame?

Copy that. I was thinking either a lot of sweat (carry piece) or it got wet and was no cleaned..
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:27:12 PM EDT
slip 2000 ewl  thats all I use.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:08:41 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rust problems, really?  I'm kinda surprised unless your storage area is very very humid, or the gun got wet.

I use CorrosionX:  http://www.corrosionx.com/gun_use.html

I have never had so much as a single spot of rust on any firearm since I started using it.

Yes, really.  A couple of summers ago I had a ring of rust around the barrel where it protrudes from the slide that had frozen the slide shut.  I could not do a press check, but racking the slide hard freed it.  Almost every internal part was covered in light rust.  I'm not a fat dude, but it was a hot summer and sweat must have gotten to it.  I was able to remove all rust, but there are a series of pits where the rust was.

Now, I try to be more diligent, but honestly, I don't want to completely disassemble it all the time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:08:55 AM EDT
Quoted:
Now, I try to be more diligent, but honestly, I don't want to completely disassemble it all the time.

I don’t think you have to completely disassemble the pistol. A simple field strip would do. Wipe down everything you can get at with a silicon cloth or a microfiber towel with a light coat of CLP. I have used both with great success. Here’s what I do: Every couple of weeks I field strip my carry piece (Glock 19), wipe everything down, and put it back together. Think of it this way, it gives you the opportunity to inspect your pistol too. The best part: it takes just a couple of minutes and it gives me peace of mind. I have been doing this for 5+ years and I have not had any rust issues. Give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:40:51 AM EDT
Quoted:
I don’t think you have to completely disassemble the pistol. A simple field strip would do. Wipe down everything you can get at with a silicon cloth or a microfiber towel with a light coat of CLP. I have used both with great success. Here’s what I do: Every couple of weeks I field strip my carry piece (Glock 19), wipe everything down, and put it back together. Think of it this way, it gives you the opportunity to inspect your pistol too. The best part: it takes just a couple of minutes and it gives me peace of mind. I have been doing this for 5+ years and I have not had any rust issues. Give it a try.

I appreciate you trying to help, but I think you missed my original question:

Quoted:

CLP did not do it for me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:31:20 AM EDT
I would have a Glock Armorer take a look at your firearm. It may be an issue that Glock Inc. needs to be made aware of? Complete disassembly should only be done by a certified armorer. I am on my 7th Glock and have never experienced a rust issue. Now my Ruger LCP is another story.

I have used Breakfree CLP since 1989 and have never experienced problems with it. I know there are many excellent lubes on the market today.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:04:18 AM EDT
slip 2000
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:26:54 AM EDT
Quoted:
Complete disassembly should only be done by a certified armorer.

Really? This is America dude. Do your research and fix your own problems. You'll be better off for it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:24:10 PM EDT
I use "Tetra Gun grease" for lube and "Super QCG" for cleaning.
Works fantastic.
I've never had rust issues with any of my Glocks.

I take my Glocks down all the way about every 1000 rounds for a good cleaning or if I know I'm not going to shoot that particular gun for a long time.
The only real trick is knowing how to get the pins back in.  
Glocks arn't rocket science.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:30:19 PM EDT
ive tried clp,  miltec . it just dosent work as good as slip 2000 ewl .after using it makes them easier to clean .
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:09:32 PM EDT
I use mil-com
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:28:14 PM EDT
I have alot of these things to take care of, and the best I have found over the years to keep them running, easy to clean up, and protected for long periods of time, is tetra gun grease.  I apply it with a paint brush to the contact areas very lightly, the connector, and barrel lug area it is quick and stays put.  I have some Gen4 22's with over 8000rds through them now without a stoppage.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.