Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 10/24/2006 9:07:51 PM EST
Hey all I am praying that Santa will be bringing me a Smith and Wession 1911 PD for Christmas this year and I was wondering what type of finish that I want it to have. I love the look of blued guns but I am also VERY anal about my guns. I am afraid that the blueing will over time get pretty worn. I would like to stay away from Chrome. So I was wanting the advice of ARFCOM as to what finish is the best as far as durability and protection from rust, sweat, and being carried in a holster (my CCW gun). I really dont even know what type of finishes are available on the smiths. I am headed over to smiths site now. Thanks for your suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 9:11:38 PM EST
i'm pretty sure SW1911s are std blued

some of the other better finishes, non-chromed: parkerized, a coat (such as armory coat, duracoat, etc), or Black-T/Teflon
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:05:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:
i'm pretty sure SW1911s are std blued

some of the other better finishes, non-chromed: parkerized, a coat (such as armory coat, duracoat, etc), or Black-T/Teflon

-So what are the best finishes from best to worst and the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:02:01 PM EST
I know you said no chrome, but maybe you're thinking real shiney chrome. I prefer matte hard chrome, it is more of a dull silver/gray and is quite hard and durable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:34:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2006 6:38:04 PM EST by PARA-KIMBER]

Originally Posted By kevinR:
Hey all I am praying that Santa will be bringing me a Smith and Wession 1911 PD for Christmas this year and I was wondering what type of finish that I want it to have. I love the look of blued guns but I am also VERY anal about my guns. I am afraid that the blueing will over time get pretty worn. I would like to stay away from Chrome. So I was wanting the advice of ARFCOM as to what finish is the best as far as durability and protection from rust, sweat, and being carried in a holster (my CCW gun). I really dont even know what type of finishes are available on the smiths. I am headed over to smiths site now. Thanks for your suggestions.

If you want the "ultimate" finish that lasts this is the one that comes to mind.

www.robarguns.com/roguard.htm
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:50:50 PM EST
Rogard is the shiznick... I have a commander size that has roguard with np3 internals and controls. Love it and has worn well as my ccw for the past 3 yrs. Good stuff and worth the price of admision IMHO

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:38:14 PM EST
Don't they Melonite their black guns? If so, that is the way to go.
Top Top