Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2005 5:35:25 AM EDT
The Glock .45 GAP looks like a reasonably interesting idea, a .45 Cal. round in a utilitarian, works out of the box. mid sized handgun.  I like the G19 size frame as it fits my hands better than my Glock model 30, the GAP however makes me wonder as to it's longevity.  I ran into a Glock salesperson at a local gunstore and he was really pushing the GAP.  It makes some sense, but one wonders if it will be commercially loaded in 5 years!  I think I would prefer this round to the .40 S&W due to a number of factors, one of which may sound stupid to some but it would be my impression that the .45 GAP would produce results similar to the .40 S&W but at a lower decibles and lower pressures.  How popular is the GAP? Will it last?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe 20 years ago, it would be a good thing.  These days with bullet design advances, it's a solution to a non-existant problem.  Even with the huge Glock name behind it, I think it will go the way of the .41AE.

R
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The .45 GAP loadings are identical in al respects to .45 ACP from what I have read.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The .45 GAP loadings are identical in al respects to .45 ACP from what I have read.

+1, it's basically .45 Short but ballistically very close.  It operates at higher pressures than .45 ACP, though.  The GAP works best with the lighter 185gr loads and such, while the ACP is still superior with 230gr.  The whole point is to give you a .45 on a 9mm frame, might have some value as a CCW.  I hope it manages to last, even though 9 is fine.  Glock has enough marketing muscle, I think, to make it happen.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't Springfield coming out with a compact 1911 that uses it?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
springer has them out in it, the 45gap is around a 45acp+p. It's a great idea, everyone that I know that can't hold on to a hi cap 45 can grip the gap guns comfortably. I'm a 45 guy and always will be the gap os a smart idea and there are no down sides to it, well the only down side is for reloaders like myself, will have to look harder
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a great idea from a manufacturing standpoint.  Glock can manufacture ONE frame for all calibers - 9mm, .40, .45GAP, .357 SIG.  I'm not so sure if it will take off as a commercial sucess, but it would be nice if it did.  Double stack .45's would be much more comfortable to shoot, and existing 9mm's and .40's could be retrofitted with .45GAP uppers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a great idea. 45GAP ammo will reliably expand out of short barrels which 45ACP doesnt always.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I can see the point, saves money for a company and lets smaller handed people fire double stack 45s. But for me it is useless, I have large enough hands a double stack 45 a.c.p. is not a problem. Springfield has the g.a.p. for their XD's. They have had a few down here at the local gunshop I frequent. They took a while to sell and last time I was in they did not have anymore of them. It would be neat if it stayed around, another caliber to play with, but I personally do not see it sticking around. I think most people, females and smaller handed males, will probably still use .40S&W or 9mm. I love the .45 a.c.p. cartridge and I use a XD40 Tactical for CC, but its not an ergonomic issue, it is an issue of not being able to afford a wide body 1911 and I am not a big fan of Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Simple, everyone else had a caliber named after them and gaston was jealous.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if the GAP will see the same claimed problems as the .40 S&W. With possible Kb's, bullet st back over pressure ect.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Its a great idea. 45GAP ammo will reliably expand out of short barrels which 45ACP doesnt always.

HUH? It's the same damn BULLET in a shorter casing, going about the same speed. Heck I have corbons that run over 1200 FPS in .45 acp which will clean up on a GAP round. A .45acp+P+ is faster then any gap out there. The gap was designed to run at 45acp or +p speeds but at a higher pressure. It can't match the top hot  loads and was not designed to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top