BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2003 12:24:26 PM EDT
Gun bill in Mike's sights

Joins Dems in pitch to 46 senators

By DAVID SALTONSTALL
and FRANK LOMBARDI
DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

Firing back at gunmakers, Mayor Bloomberg joined the mayors of Chicago and Los Angeles yesterday in a joint message to the Senate: Don't let gun manufacturers off the hook.
In letters sent to 46 senators, Bloomberg and his Democratic counterparts - James Hahn of Los Angeles and Richard Daley of Chicago - called on the Senate not to support legislation to give gunmakers, distributors and vendors immunity from civil liability.

Bloomberg went further on his weekly WABC-AM radio show yesterday, equating some gunmakers with drug dealers.

"It's exactly the same thing as taking away liability from drug dealers, and saying drug dealers have no responsibility to help society and keep the scourge away," he said. "We don't do that, and guns are exactly the same thing."

The immunity would extend to pending legal action, such as a federal suit by the city against several dozen gunmakers.

Already at odds with many fellow Republicans, including President Bush, on gun control, Bloomberg argued that gun manufacturers have a right to sell weapons but must be held accountable if they fail to take "reasonable precautions" about whom they sell to and "what kind of safety devices are on those guns."

The mayor's comments came as the City Council held a hearing on measures related to gun control, including a bill to make it easier for gun-violence victims to sue the industry for damages.

Councilman shot

The measures were pending before the July 23 shooting death of Brooklyn City Councilman James Davis in the Council chambers, but supporters said it underscored the need for action.

Geoffrey Davis, who is seeking his brother's Council seat, attended the hearing and later said, "I'm happy that the various issues on gun control are being brought to the forefront."

In the most controversial measure, sponsored by Councilwoman Eva Moskowitz (D-Manhattan), victims of gun violence or their survivors would be allowed to sue manufacturers and others for civil damages "without regard to fault or proof of defect."

A bill by Councilman David Yassky (D-Brooklyn) - who helped write the 1993 Brady Law on gun purchases - would require gun manufacturers to abide by a code of conduct.

Originally published on September 13, 2003

What kind of bullshit is this?  Saying that gun manufactures should be held liable for shootings or deaths?  We don't hold vehicle manufacturers responsible when a drunk driver gets into a accident or hits someone, or other companies liable for their products.  This lets blame the gun manufactures for the stupidity of the shooter is really getting old.  Equating gun manufacturers to drug dealers, what is this guy smoking?  Sounds more like he is talking out of his ass, but then again he is a politician.  I really got to move out of NY soon.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
New York and Cailfornia.  I would be ashamed if I was from either.  I don't really care what happens in these places, its just that they try to export their communistic (sp) crapp to the other 48 states.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]

would be allowed to sue manufacturers and others for civil damages "without regard to fault or proof of defect."

I had to re-read this statement half a dozen times. I just cannot believe that what they are saying is "We know its not the fault of the manufacturers, and there are no defects in the products; but we want people to sue them for damages anyway."

What the fuck...
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep 'em coming.  Shit like this just makes me want to buy more guns.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish someone would wise-up and pass a law allowing us to sue cities and states that deprive people of their Second Amendment rights, but coddle the criminals by releasing them AND PUTTING THE POPULATION AT RISK. They have no qualms in NY City and California or Orange County about having the Federal Government bail them out for stupid crap and mismanagement of finances, why would you NOT think they would be for making manufacturers pay for their failure to both protect the public and prosecute and imprison or execute those that prove they are not fit to be part of a civilized society by their violent actions?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top