Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 7:38:53 AM EST
No, no, I know what a guide rod does. I was asking what a TWO-PIECE, as opposed to a standard rod, does for you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:19:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By Otterstedt:
No, no, I know what a guide rod does. I was asking what a TWO-PIECE, as opposed to a standard rod, does for you.

Causes you to have a pain in the ass when it fails.

The original GI guide rod should be in any 1911 IMO

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:10:21 AM EST
I cuss my one piece every time I break mine down. Too cheap to convert it though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:20:15 AM EST
It looks cool. That is all............................
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:58:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By fxntime:
It looks cool. That is all............................

Not even that.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:11:01 AM EST

more accuracy
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:45:24 AM EST
The two piece allows you to unscrew the front half then break down the gun as if it had a gi guide rod.

This has been solved by using the slightly shorter flgr so you can use a bushing wrench on it and then disassemble like a gi guide rod.

Otherwise you have to hold it back under spring pressue to remove the slide stop to disassemble the gun, like a bull barrel gun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:55:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By SwatDawg15:

Clearly you have no experience with shorter 1911s then.

The two piece is handy on some compacts.Other than that application, I would go with a GI guide or a heavy one piece (if I wanted to dampen muzzle flip).
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:16:03 PM EST
A long guide rod puts a little more weight up front. Tungsten guide rods are heavier than steel and were popular for awhile. Haven't seen them around lately though.

NAD
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:47:34 PM EST

Unscrew its self in while I'm in a shooting course, causeing me to have to break out the Leatherman tool between every stage! (to tighten it) I finally got the GI set up from Sarco.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:55:03 PM EST
I have 2 piece guides in every one of my full length guide rodded 1911s. Just as stated above, you slip out the rod after unscrewing and you take the gun down like a GI style setup. It makes it easier than trying to pin it and such.

I have never, to this day, ever had any failures of the guide rod in the 2 piece design. Failures occour mostly from people either not tightening the guide rod enough and it unscrews itself or tightening it too much and not being able to remove it at all. When properly installed, they are a great unit.

They aren't for everybody, but for me, they have been serving this guy very well on my guns and quite a few customer guns.

Take care,
Bob
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:33:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By pulpsmack:

The two piece is handy on some compacts.Other than that application, I would go with a GI guide or a heavy one piece (if I wanted to dampen muzzle flip).

You have no knowledge of my experience with anything. Post your own opinion and move on, no need to question what works for me.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:22:19 AM EST
A two piece guide rod only complicates field stripping a regular 5 inch 1911, it is a solution to a non existent problem. It adds nothing to accuracy or functional reliability. I think someone invented it to sell gun parts to the unknowing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:54:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By Miller_Custom_1911:
I have 2 piece guides in every one of my full length guide rodded 1911s. Just as stated above, you slip out the rod after unscrewing and you take the gun down like a GI style setup. It makes it easier than trying to pin it and such.

I have never, to this day, ever had any failures of the guide rod in the 2 piece design. Failures occour mostly from people either not tightening the guide rod enough and it unscrews itself or tightening it too much and not being able to remove it at all. When properly installed, they are a great unit.

They aren't for everybody, but for me, they have been serving this guy very well on my guns and quite a few customer guns.

Take care,
Bob

I've cheerfully removed FLGR's from all my regularly bushing'd pistols, but that's just my personal preference.
So, just curious really Bob, by default do you run a FLGR or a GI in your own guns or if a customer doesn't specify ? If you do go FLGR might I ask why ?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:05:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By asiparks:

Take care,
Bob

I've cheerfully removed FLGR's from all my regularly bushing'd pistols, but that's just my personal preference.
So, just curious really Bob, by default do you run a FLGR or a GI in your own guns or if a customer doesn't specify ? If you do go FLGR might I ask why ?

I'm not Bob so I can't answer for him. Using a full length guide rod keeps the recoil spring from bunching up and therefore making the slide cycle smoother. Also they make field stripping the weapon a lot easier because the slide is complete when mating receiver.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:34:14 PM EST
Short vs. full length vs. two-piece full length has been debated for ages. I run a full length in my Delta Elite and my Kimber Gold Match, but my plain-Jane Government model as well as my home brewed commander models use short rods and they all seem to function just fine. I tried a two piece full length in the commander, worked ok until it decided to unscrew itself while firing, so I consider it just one more thing to go wrong and tie up a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:03:27 PM EST
John Moses Browning did not put a FLGR or an extended slide stop or ambi safety or an attachable magwell on his creation , which I appreciate , but I do like beavertails,extended thumb safeties and commander hammers and the better sights which of coarse came later.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:15:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By irondog1911:
John Moses Browning did not put a FLGR or an extended slide stop or ambi safety or an attachable magwell on his creation , which I appreciate , but I do like beavertails,extended thumb safeties and commander hammers and the better sights which of coarse came later.

So your saying that John Moses Browning's 1911 is perfect except for beavertails, extended thumb safeties, and commander hammers...and the better sights which of course came later.... I mean... in your opinion, and this is a forum that solicites opinion..... but in your view there is no room for anything but your opinion because you have hailed the almighty's name John Moses Browning. Just want to make sure I got that right....
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 3:22:51 AM EST
I didn`t say that, I stated what I Liked and disliked about JMB original pistol and what options exist today.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:26:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By pulpsmack:

You have no knowledge of my experience with anything. Post your own opinion and move on, no need to question what works for me.

When you post that a GI spring guide is the solution to ANY 1911, then you are showing your own experience or lack thereof. It is my opinion that you have no idea what you are talking about with 4" and shorter 1911s. Funny how you can have an unchallengable opinion that requires everybody accept it and move on, yet you are free to comment yourself. Would you care to enlighten me on your experience then with 3.5"- 4" compacts and 3" micros and how the standard GI spring guide has worked better for you than the FLGRs that come equipped standard in most of those models?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:49:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By asiparks:

Take care,
Bob

I can't really say that I default to any particular design. As every customer will agree, when they talk with me about a particular build, I go over every single part down to the pins. If they aren't knowledgeable in a particular design, I take the time to explain the pros and cons - as well as internet chatter that will make up the arguments on what is better or worse and give them my opinion on the matter. I try to convey as much information to them and let them make their own decisions.

I hope that response is informative as to answer the question and not interpreted as insult. That is furthest from my intentions.

As far as my guns, Full Length and 2 piece in just about all of them. I like them and as I said before, I have never seen a failure on any one of them. I don't agree with the whole field stripping idea - I'm not in a dirty climate or at war right now. If I was to go someplace I wouldn't have access to my tools every night, I would most likely change the guide in the sidearm...but I would have to be headed to war or something like that. At the moment, I have access to my tools - even in the car I have a Caspian leatherman 1911 looking tool. I have one in every car I own so I'm not far from something to work on these guns with.

Take care,
Bob
Top Top