Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/20/2008 10:51:24 AM EDT
Saw a little colt in the gun shop this weekend but it had been reblued. Looked real good too. Anyone able to give me some idea on what rebluing does to collector value.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:31:08 AM EDT
Usually little to no collectability after a firearm has been refinished or reblued.

Might be a GREAT firearm, fantasitc shooter, and look great but it's collectability is gone.

The only real exceptions are those that have had work done by known master smiths or Military weaons that were refinished by the Military itself and even those tend to be worth less then one with it's original finish.

If you like it, buy it, but don't fall for any "collectability balony" told to you by the seller.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:10:55 PM EDT
Normally a reblue job is seen as worth the same as fair condition in the book values. Look it over for pitting many reblue cover pitting but it will still be there if it was there to begin with.

Also check tightness of action and bore condition.

A friend of mine got an old S&W-10 that looked like crap the outside blueing was gone, and the wood grip had many chips but the thing shot like a dream.

I have owned good looking pistols that have major problems so you can't judge a book by its cover.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:37:23 PM EDT
What if it was factory reblued?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:52:31 PM EDT
Factory reblue will still detract from the value, but not nearly as much. Some sort of evidence (factory letter) to show that the factory did the work would be required as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:42:23 AM EDT
The extra premium for a pistol with "collector status" will disappear so it's value will be whatever its worth as a shooter is. A factory reblue by Colt of a Python will have have better value than Joe Smoe the gunsmith.
Top Top