Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 9:05:46 PM EDT
I have no idea what this is.  Can someone explain?  Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a safety mechanism in a semi-auto pistol that prevents the weapon from being fired without a magazine (full or empty) being inserted into the mag well. Smith & Wesson pistols have them, as well as the Browning Hi-Power.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:02:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Some police officers like them, because if you are in a fight for your gun, hitting the mag release is a quick way to disable the gun.

I've never been fond of them myself, but I can understand the argument.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#4]

What is magazine disconnect?

A nuisance.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Smith & Wesson pistols have them.

Some do and some don't!  Half of mine do not.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If Glock had it, the professional enough DEA agent would never had the glorious chance to have become a celebrity.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If Glock had it, the professional enough DEA agent would never had the glorious chance to have become a celebrity.

Yes he would have.  He didn't remove the magazine from his weapon when he "cleared" it.  When he released the slide, it simply chambered another round from the still inserted magazine.  Hence when he pulled the trigger, the weapon discharged.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow.. Thank for the information guys!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't tthe term "magazine disconnect" also used to describe the lever on an 1903 Springfield rifle.  

When activated, it prevents the rounds in the magazine from feeding during bolt cycling.  It turns it into a single shot rifle, reserving the rounds in the magazine in case the Jerries are trying to overwhelm your position and you get into close quarters or rapid fire.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Smith & Wesson pistols have them.

Some do and some don't!  Half of mine do not.

Which ones don't? I haven't handled a Smith lately......is that a recent change?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I have heard that S&W did make some runs without the magazine disconnect for some L.E. agencies, but I did not know that they offered them that way for the general public.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have heard that S&W did make some runs without the magazine disconnect for some L.E. agencies, but I did not know that they offered them that way for the general public.

From what I've read, the new S&W M&P will have the magazine disconnect and lock for all civilian sales, but these will be optional for govt/LE sales.  A shame too.  I was very hopeful about that pistol.  Although, I'm sure someone will figure out how to remove it as with the Browning Hi Power.

I consider the magazine disconnect a to be a tactical disadvantage.  If when performing a tactical reload, it is always advantageous to be able to fire the round in the chamber while you are in-between magazines.  YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top