Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:22:32 AM EDT
I'm looking to add a handgun to my collection. Because baby is on the way, I need to spend less than $350. NIB is not a requirement, but at least 9mm is. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:41:28 AM EDT
You should be able to find a used Glock, Ruger, Sig, S&W, Beretta for that price. I'm currently looking myself for the same type but even cheaper. Police trade ins would probably be the best deal.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:35:54 AM EDT
Glock 17, 19

Beretta 92

Ruger P89, P94, P95

BUT you can get a Sig P226 for right around $400, and its worth it. I'd stay away from the Rugers, as their company politics are actually quite anti 2nd Amendment, and the pistols aren't exactly refined.

Glocks are simple and easy for most to shoot, but make sure you get some training whatever you buy, and the wifey as well. I know it sounds expensive at first, but how much is your life worth? You can always make more money.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:44:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 8:45:08 AM EDT by Hellhound]
Best value in a handgun are the police trade ins for under $400.00.

The exterior might be a little rough with holster wear and maybe a few dings-who cares?

Internals are usually perfect, mine are flawless.

I bought my 226 years ago for $380.00 w/ a 15 round factory mag.

I would save a few more $$ and get the SIG.

Or be on the lookout for a used Glock 17 or 19, any generation. Go 9mm too. Ammo is available and cheaper.

My $0.02, good luck and let us know which way you go.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:39:09 AM EDT
Right now you can get some oddball CZ-40Ps from J&G Sales for $300. NIB, .40 S&W, well respected CZ quality. Usually CZ .40s retail in the low 400s, but these have kind of an odd lineage through the importer, that's why the price is so low.

Get one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:22:59 PM EDT
Get CDNN Investment's PDF catalog and that should get you started.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:02:23 PM EDT
CZ's are good, though reminiscent of "East-bloc" by their feel. S&W has a V99 or similar number (working off of faulty memory) in 9 or .40. These are usually around $300. or sometimes a bit less at gun shows. Good, practical design. If you need something smaller or pocketable, then Kel-Tec.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:12:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:21:59 PM EDT
I called Ruger requesting a manual and asked about anti/pro gun. The lady there said Bill Ruger was NOT anti gun and wondered where I heard that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:30:34 PM EDT
For just a few dollars more, you could pick up a NIB Springfield XD. Great guns, at a great price.

If you can find a used Sig for that price, that wouldn't be a bad price either.

Also, the CZ's aren't bad for the money.

But again, I'd go XD if you could squeeze just a few more dollars out (or find one used at about that price).

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:17:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By iplaypearldrums:
I called Ruger requesting a manual and asked about anti/pro gun. The lady there said Bill Ruger was NOT anti gun and wondered where I heard that.

Bill Ruger helped word the 94 Crime Bill, specifically to keep the Mini 14 legal. Ruger won't sell normal capacity Mini 14 magazines to civilians. Bill Ruger also said something to the effect that no honest person needed more than 10 rounds in a magazine. The hell with that!

I own a 10/22, and had a M77, as well as a P97D, my first handgun. Ruger makes many guns that I would love to own. But I won't ever buy a new one again.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:21:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ShamusMcOI:
For just a few dollars more, you could pick up a NIB Springfield XD. Great guns, at a great price.

But again, I'd go XD if you could squeeze just a few more dollars out (or find one used at about that price).

+1
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:34:44 AM EDT
EAA Witness or CZ40B or CZ makes another .40 in the $300 range also if you can still find one of the Steyer M series pistols.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:57:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:32:27 AM EDT
Ruger P89. it's a workhorse and fires a smooth 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:15:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drew5337:
Glock 17, 19 *coughballisticfingerprintingcough*

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:17:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drew5337:

Originally Posted By iplaypearldrums:

Bill Ruger helped word the 94 Crime Bill, specifically to keep the Mini 14 legal. Ruger won't sell normal capacity Mini 14 magazines to civilians. Bill Ruger also said something to the effect that no honest person needed more than 10 rounds in a magazine. The hell with that!

I own a 10/22, and had a M77, as well as a P97D, my first handgun. Ruger makes many guns that I would love to own. But I won't ever buy a new one again.

You are correct about Mr. Ruger's statements. There was a lot of controversy about that. Some have said he did that to get an advantage for his guns. But, to be fair and, slightly in Mr. Ruger's defense, I would say he knew how to deal with bureaucrats: tell them what they want to hear, then go do what you want anyway. He also turned the semantics game around on them, as they like to play. Maybe Ruger did not sell large cap mags., but plenty of other people did. I'd rather devote plant space and capacity to firearm production rather than low margin stuff like magazines, which is a cutthroat business, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:21:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Sorry I never let money dictate what gun I buy opting instead to save and buy the gun I want.

Must be nice.

$350 will buy a whole slew of very capable, sturdy and reliable guns....the man's not asking the impossible. Perhaps he HAS been saving, is on a tight budget and just wants a good gun for what he has collected?

Just throwing it out there....we don't all spend $1200 on a pistol, if we did, the companies that make anything but would soon be out of business.

In any case, the Taurus PT99 can be had for $330 or so, same with the Ruger P series, both excellent and very underrated guns. I own both, and they are unflappable performers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:49:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

+1

you can find "used" XDs with only a couple of boxes run through them for $350 and are in a lot better shape than the police trade in pistols from CDNN, search some of the gun auction/sale boards && the EE here. I got two that I love.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:54:26 PM EDT

For under 350.00. I'd say go with a Ruger P89. I have one and have put about 8,000 rounds through it. Not a single jam, FTF, or FTE. Also about 5,000 of those were my reloads.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:36:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wganz:

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

+1

you can find "used" XDs with only a couple of boxes run through them for $350 and are in a lot better shape than the police trade in pistols from CDNN, search some of the gun auction/sale boards && the EE here. I got two that I love.

wganz

A big +2 from me on this one.
I bought a very gently used XD40 Tactical for $350 out the door. I loved it so much, as soon as I could I bought the XD40 Sub-Compact new for $408 + tax. I've yet to have a problem out of either one. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with the XD lineup. Not to mention a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:27:29 AM EDT
Steyr M9. You can get them NIB for $350. Only downside is extra mags are expensive.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:07:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Carbine10:

For under 350.00. I'd say go with a Ruger P89. I have one and have put about 8,000 rounds through it. Not a single jam, FTF, or FTE. Also about 5,000 of those were my reloads.

As a owner of a p89 i used to say good gun. Last outing at the range I had a bullet stop in the barrel, unsure whether this was poor ammo or the guns fault, but i had fired around 5000 before it. (yes I keep it well kept) fortunatly the bullet stopped short enough for another round to chamber else I might not be here now.

the 89 is a relible gun for the most part stay away from cheap ammo! Personally I dont like it though looking to get rid of mine. For price not a bad deal but spend the extra and get a glock or kahr.

Just my opinion however.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:52:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Timinem:

Originally Posted By Carbine10:

As a owner of a p89 i used to say good gun. Last outing at the range I had a bullet stop in the barrel, unsure whether this was poor ammo or the guns fault, but i had fired around 5000 before it. (yes I keep it well kept) fortunatly the bullet stopped short enough for another round to chamber else I might not be here now.

the 89 is a relible gun for the most part stay away from cheap ammo! Personally I dont like it though looking to get rid of mine. For price not a bad deal but spend the extra and get a glock or kahr.

Just my opinion however.

A squib load is not the fault of the gun, in any way shape or form. That's an ammo problem.

If your squib load lodged a bullet in the barrel, the real danger would have been in firing the next round into it, which can cause a dangerous bottleneck in the barrel. Chances are great that had the squib prevented the successful loading of the next round (not likely, but possible), it wouldn't have done much to the gun, probably just fail to go completely into battery.

The P89 is one of the most rugged guns ever made, without a doubt. Mine is well over 15,000 rounds without one single failure of any kind.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:26:36 PM EDT
Centerfire Systems has G17s for 350 now, PD trade ins.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:26:43 PM EDT
Revolver?

I cant' believe no one mentioned this. Don't have to worry about buying magazines or re-buying ammo because what you have doesn't feed right.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:44:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wganz:
Get CDNN Investment's PDF catalog and that should get you started.

wganz

+1, pref would be Sig or Glock in caliber of your choice...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:24:16 PM EDT
Aim Surplus has Glock 22s with night sights and two mags for $350. I personally don't like .40 caliber, but it is a nice price.

You could always keep your eyes peeled for a used Springfield 1911 GI for that price.
Top Top