Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2002 1:48:31 PM EDT
Any help?
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
For What?

Handguns are tools first - are you look at the whole world like it's a nail then get a hammer.
If you feel like screwing around get a screwdriver, want more power get a cordless drill.

Seriously, You might try to build all catigories up on a single frame - 1911 comes to mind as you can have .22lr top end for cheap paper punching, 9mm for general practice cheap ammo, 38 super Long Slide if going to south america or more penetration than 9mm, 40 S&W, 400 corbon or 45 ACP for serious social interaction (IDPA or IPSC) on standard or officer slide length and if you can find one Pachmyer used to advertise rifle caliber single conversion to use for hunting.

All this on one frame that the serialized purchase.  (it's technically one gun)

You can do a similar concept w/ other frames (M9 in 9 mm can be converted to .40 cal & .22 LR).

Or Thompson/Center Encore or contender if repeat fire isn't required.

You have to define what purpose you are purchasing the gun for to know what options are important.

Give a bone here...

If one handgun was to fill every need do you'd have so many to choose from? Do like I did w/ my wife - go try all of them out - when the dust settles you will know what feels right. (She's picked SIG 225 single stack 9mm as it worked well with her small hands).
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't go wrong with the Glock.  Many different calibers are on the same frame, so buy a new barrel, pop it in, and you can convert over to a new caliber.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't think like that.  The question should be, "Which handgun do I get next?"  There are so many different types for different purposes, there is no single best one.

But if you had to have one I would get a Custom Kimber and a .22 conversion.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Whatever your reason for wanting a handgun, one of the key factors is "you having confidence in the handgun."

How do you find confidence?  1) Accuracy, 2) How the handgun "feels" in your hand (balance, fit, etc.), and 3) Reliability.

You can experience the "feel" at the point of purchase.  Accuracy & reliability can only be tested at the range, or wherever you can legally fire the weapon.

Try as many different handguns as possible.  And, if you can, try more than one side by side.  Example:  Yesterday I took my Glock 19 and my XD9 to the range for comparison firing.  Using the same ammo (CCI Blazer, 115 gr. FMJ) at the same distance (25 yds) the XD9 was far more accurate than the G19! (XD9 was putting 5 out of 10 shots in the bulls eye, G19 was all over the place with no bulls eyes per 10 rounds.)  They both feel good in my hand, both were totally reliable, but the XD9 is more accurate and therefore gives me a great deal more confidence should I have to use it in any situation involving self defense.

Conclusion, test, test, test, and find the one or more that give you the most confidence.

Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If I could only have one pistol it would be a .357 revolver ... if I could have two it I would add a 1911A1.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
get both
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#7]
its funny how this question comes up all the time. its like asking, "what car should i buy?". there are hundreds of choices for guns dear mikepenn33!

tell us what you are going to use it for and maybe the guys/gals can drop you some suggestions
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
get both

NICE!
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I have handguns for carry, range and a little bit of everything. It always seems to come back to "whats next". I got a kimber pro tactical II. I'm very impressed with the  accuracy. I have hk's, sig's, glocks but the kimber shoots like a target pistol. Now, whats next?
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 1:21:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Simple answer...next time you visit the next gunshop/gunshow check the amount of drool when viewing a firearm...that would be one clue. The thickness of your wallet would be another.
Let impulse be your guide and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#13]
In my meek opinion,  referencing the tool notion,  a handgun should be an extension of the user.  Ergonomic, good weight,  just the right recoil.  All these things are dependant upon the user.  I suggest, and many may agree, that if you have a range local to you that will let you rent a wide variety of makes and models, you start there.  See what feels good to you.  Find out what caliber you are comfortable with, then research the price per round and decide if it fits the budget.  Also, if you find a gun you love, but the price is to heavy for your books,  don't give up!  There are many knockoffs out there that I consider "quality" firearms.  If all else fails, you can never go wrong with a 1911.  If you just use the 45 upper, ammo can be costly, but as a whole the gun is a great beginner.  Also, I think its better to start with a large caliber firearms, and then move down.  With me, it gave me 100 time over the control on smaller calibers.

Hope this helps,  and I didn't ramble too much.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:39:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I just purchased a Kahr P9 about three weeks ago and I love this little gun. It is much lighter for cary than my 1911's and the accuracy surprised me also. It has been totally reliable with what ever ammo I have used. I've put about 300 rnds. through it and am very pleased.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Kimber semis and S&W revolers

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top