Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2012 9:31:10 AM EDT
My Luger came across the pond sporting a set of custom made clear plastic grips. I would like to put a decent set of wood, or even black synthetic grips on it. As you can see, this thing is a shooter. I am not looking to spend a ton of money on some grips.

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd find a set of VOPO grips. They fit well and are not expensive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I ended up getting a couple mec gar mags and a set of grips at a gun show yesterday. I'm hoping they actually fit correctly.  The seller was a big luger guy, and claimed they fit, but they aren't originals so he didn't like them.

He said he has hundreds of new mec gar luger mags, which means I will be picking up more in the future.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Not the prettiest things, but they fit and feel better than the homemade ones.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#5]
You can always dye them to a darker colour, i.e. black. Just get some clothes dye from the Dollar store, black and some green dye. Then you can dye them in hot water. If you use no green colur, the result will look purplish.

I did the same to an HK USP with a grey frame. Came out well and the dye is penetrating the surface.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Repro Kreighoff grips, very nice! Just think if they were original they would be worth $4-500+
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Repro Kreighoff grips, very nice! Just think if they were original they would be worth $4-500+

See, I have no idea about what is what in the luger world. I need to do more research.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See, I have no idea about what is what in the luger world. I need to do more research.
Go to the Lugerforum.com and read. Your head may explode, but read all you can. Few Luger collectors stray from a particular era of collecting unlike me. Most will concentrate on commercial, WWI, Weimar, WWII, Navy, Luftwaffe, Swiss or contract guns. Don't forget these guns were in production in Germany and Switzerland from 1904 until the late 50's.

Link Posted: 1/3/2013 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#9]
It's indeed a very wide and varied area of collecting. A quite expensive one, too. For a long time East German Vopo 08s were an inexpensive way of entering the world of Luger pistols, this has changed as many collectors have found their history appealing. I have three Vopo Lugers that I got cheap enough to use them for their intended purpose: as shooters.

If you want to learn about Lugers of the Third Reich, there is a phantastic book out there, The Mauser Parabellum 1930 -1946 by Hallock and van de Kant. 704 pages filled with photos and information.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#10]
My new Mec-Gar magazine won't feed...at all. I sent and email to mec-gar, but I imagine it will be a long wait for a replacement.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the gun feed with other mags? What exactly is it doing?
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does the gun feed with other mags? What exactly is it doing?

Yes, with the original magazine it feeds fine, except on the 4th round because there is a dent in the magazine. With the mec-gar it won't even pick up the first round. If I put pressure on the underside of the mag it will catch it, but send it nose up and jam.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#13]
You need to bring the MecGar higher by manipulating the cut out for the mag release. Or by changing the mag release on your gun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You need to bring the MecGar higher by manipulating the cut out for the mag release. Or by changing the mag release on your gun.

What sort of mag release would I need?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Try some Nill grips.  Made in Germany, a little spendy, but they look just like the originals.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top