Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 3:57:49 PM EDT
I've had this Colt 1st Generation SAA for a couple years, and never fired it. All I ever do is take it out and cock the hammer / let it down a few times.   It's tight, and in excellent shape for 100 years old.  It's numbered 3138XX, and per my book it's from 1910.  It's in 45 Colt.  

I'm thinking about selling it to fund other projects.  Any idea from the experts on its potential worth before I take it to market?  My research shows these things all over the place.

Of course, this post is not intended to be an offer to sell, but merely seeking knowledge.  Here's a couple of pics....

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I would price it in the $3500-$7000 range. All depends on condition, that all parts are orginal to the gun and it hasn't been refinished in any way. You are going to need a Colt Expert to value it and that I'm not.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting it professionally appraised may be the only way to know for sure.     If its a refinished parts gun,  it may be worth 1250 - 1500, –– if all the parts are original to the revolver and its just been re-blued , maybe 2500 - 3000.

If thats original blue on the cylinder and barrel,  who knows,  but it would be worth a lot
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
the prices are all over the place since the condition are too..

if you have a copy of the blue book, look in the front section and the grading (%) of guns.  it will give you an idea on how to grade it if you are considering selling it yourself on the web.  of course state how you graded it too so people will know.

you can look on the various gun auciton/selling sites for 1 gen Colts SAAs and hopefully, you will find one in similar condtion.  If you dont, you can go by the BB value.

as others have said, compleness is a key also.

taking it to several Colt collectors will be your best bet since you will get several values and you can go with what you like or the average.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate the information.  Any way to tell if the bluing is original before I go show it to some dealers?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:30:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I appreciate the information.  Any way to tell if the bluing is original before I go show it to some dealers?

depending on how the blueing was removed, the lettering can be shallow.  if they used a wire brush, you will see evidence of that in the nook and crannies.

Youre in Colt country so finding some collectors shoudlnt be an issue.   if you have any "gun collectors" shows, check there since you will uusually find more then 1 collector.  check the colt web site or forum (not the one here) for collectors.  fyi, the CCA has a show 1 per year around the country and you could see where its next.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

depending on how the blueing was removed, the lettering can be shallow.  if they used a wire brush, you will see evidence of that in the nook and crannies.

Youre in Colt country so finding some collectors shoudlnt be an issue.   if you have any "gun collectors" shows, check there since you will uusually find more then 1 collector.  check the colt web site or forum (not the one here) for collectors.  fyi, the CCA has a show 1 per year around the country and you could see where its next.

hmmm......doesn't look reblued to me based on what you've said.....but I'm definately no expert.  I've seen a few colt dealers at our dfw gunshows....I may drop by rodeo this weekend to see what they think.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#7]
pics posted a little too fuzzy to determine if the finish is orig or not- It would be pretty rare to find a 1910 era SAA with as much finish as the pictures show however
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest getting it apraised by a professional then consider insuring it. If it's in good condition,hasn't been refinished and parts are orginal to the gun you are going to want it insured.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
$2,600 - $2900.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$2,600 - $2900.

maybe, pictures are hard to tell. You need to get it appriased. Also better pictures.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#11]
You can't pass off a Colt SAA as a first generation to an appraiser when it has a cylinder pin release.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can't pass off a Colt SAA as a first generation to an appraiser when it has a cylinder pin release.

Yeah I was wondering about that
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:13:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I need more information here.....Are you referring to the "button" on the side that releases the cylinder pin?  I'm finding pictures of other Colt's from the 1910's or so with the same button, but earlier black powder models without.  Mine looks consistent with the pictures I'm finding.  What am I missing?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#14]
First generation Colts Peacemakers are "black powder frames" with a screw holding in the cylinder pin from below, not the button spring release.
Also, your grips are in too good a shape (and not the correct pattern if I remember right) to be that good of a Colt.
I got out of old Colts a long time ago but I'm sure your gun is not a first generation.
But I'm no expert so don't take my word for it.
Get the letter from Colt and go from there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
First generation Colts Peacemakers are "black powder frames" with a screw holding in the cylinder pin from below, not the button spring release.
Also, your grips are in too good a shape (and not the correct pattern if I remember right) to be that good of a Colt.
I got out of old Colts a long time ago but I'm sure your gun is not a first generation.

I see what your saying. Picture of a 1st gen colt original handles

and another one

I don't know if that gen1 had that type of bluing either. From the looks of it you either have a 2nd or 3rd gen Colt SAA.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Incorrect.  Later 1st gens like his have the push button type cylinder pin release.  The change happened around the 165,000 serial number range.

Edit-Also I agree with captain127.  That gun looks too good.  Need better pictures to be sure.  Plus the grips are wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top