Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2003 8:13:12 AM EDT
I have thought about this and here are some ideas I have had...
Colt govt.380 customized by cylender and slide to be more relaible, accurate, beveled mag well, trigger job, non snagging, night sites, ect.
-to go with-
mid sized 1911. of similar customization of from wilson or like brand. (I'm sure you get the idea)
-The 380 would be pretty much daily carry cause it is so light, small, thin, and will as close as one can shoot much like the bigger gun.

The reason I am kinda leaning away from the micro compact 45's is the weight, size recoil. they weigh almost as much as a larger gun, if you get the LW models they tend to kick more and rapid follow up shots that hit I tend to like better then misses, plus muzzle blast in low light and extreme close drills would concern me as far as blinding me in low light or kick up "stuff" when firing from retention. I would love to have a more substantial round than 380 but CCW is a compromise. I
I most likely will go however to a Kahr P-9 with night sites and live with the differences is my two guns. Economical reasons mainly. However I have thought about a LW commander sized gun..... OH the choices.

What is the general feeling in here. Stay with similar type of guns or go different??
Popular calibers, brands, DA/SA, DAO, SA, Revolver, DA/SA, DAO.... Types of carry? IWB, Ankle, Sholder, cross draw..... I personally like strong side IWB or belt.

Just wondering what people here like.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are serious about self defense you'll carry a serious weapon in the largest caliber that you can control accurately.

If you are just into the it's "neat" to be carrying a gun, any mouse gun of inadequate caliber will do.
ps.........I carry a 1911 in .45acp
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#2]
One concern I have is that I want my wife to be able to shoot it also.. I should have added that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Self Defense handguns are tools. And like tools they must fit the user. While you might pick a 22oz hammer your wife would be better suited to a 16oz hammer.

Your wife needs her own weapon.  And the above still applies. Pick a handgun that FITS and then get it in the largest caliber that you can shoot accurately.

After all you'll only be betting your "LIFE" on it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I can definately appreciate that response and I appologize in my quick tempered response.... Ever had a day where everything goes to shit??? That is no excuse on my behalf. I deleted the quick tempered response in acknowledgement of my error.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#5]
My mode of thinking is that of carrying a gun at all times is a pain in the ass especially if the size and weight of the weapon works against your wardrobe (hot temps) Night on the town ect.... Carrying a smaller lighter weapon at all times may be easier than a large heavy one especially if you have a smaller stature.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#6]
www.miltsparks.com/

Carrying for self defense will never be comfortable. But it sure is damn comforting.

The right holster and belt make even a full size 1911 virtually disappear under a dark t shirt or even a tucked in dress shirt (see above holser)
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh sure trying to make me cry??? Had to be a pic of a 1911 and a P-7..LOL Love those guns.
The reason I have gradually drifted away from a DAO snubbie is that yah they are reliable and you can carry them anywhere or way you want. They are just so damned hard to shoot fast and accurately... Besides I like semi's more....
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]
SGB has given you some good information to which I’ll add.... If you plan on taking a handgun to a fight (which will most likely be the case) you’d better have one that works really good all the time, is really big, and you’d better make damn sure you can use it really, really well. Handguns suck!!!!! So if I was planning on fighting with one I’d take the biggest one I could use effectively, that worked every time, and I’ll know how to use it like my life depends on it..... ‘cause it does.

Don’t be one of these guys who carries a “comfortable” gun that is marginally effective ’cause he’s too lazy to learn how to pack a “real” gun.... especially when there are holsters like the Sparks VM-2 or (my personal favorite) Alessi/BCP GWH that make carrying a full size gun so easy.

The same can be said for ones wife. I wouldn’t be so bold or arrogant to choose a gun for my wife. I’d take her out to the range and rent or borrow a few different styles of handguns and let her decide which one she likes. Remember, just like you, she is only betting her life on the gun she chooses to arm herself with.      

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I carry a full size 1911.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#10]
More often then not I carry a East German Makarov in 9x18mm. Maks require no reliability tweeking, they just work-Like they used to say about Timex "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking".
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Thay are a great gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.miltsparks.com/
www.miltsparks.com/images/Photos/VM-2_small.jpg

Carrying for self defense will never be comfortable. But it sure is damn comforting.

The right holster and belt make even a full size 1911 virtually disappear under a dark t shirt or even a tucked in dress shirt (see above holser)

Yupper...That (V-M)Sparks with the optional clips (+$10) allows for a tucked in shirt.  Very comforting if you have to reach over your head with your strong hand.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#13]
the best gun for self defense is the one you have in your hand when you need it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry a Springfield Compact 1911 .45 90% of the time.  I also found that there were some times when I was leaving home without my gun because of where I was going, what I was wearing Etc.  I also have a Beretta .32 Tomcat that goes along with me the 10% of the time the .45 does not.  

The way I figure it is this, a little mouse gun trumps a stick, fist, brick, knife....

And it still beats a .45 thats at home in the safe.

Small guns have there place, but don't count on them all the time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Ed Brown Kobra Carry .45 ACP
In a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I either carry a Springfield Armory XD-357 or a Sig P229-357. I use a Blade-Tech belt holster and carry a spare magazine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:23:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I too like bladetech holsters for a general holster. Not much to them. I have to admit I like the SA Micro 45's but have yet to shoot one. I also like that Kimber RCP or CRP what ever it's called but I am sure the muzzle flash is blinding and recoil is stoute. Nothing that I am sure I can't complensate for by shooting that much more.. But with a new born and my wife and I working opposite 12hr shifts it's hard to have time to do "daddy stuff".

Has anyone had any expierience with either of the two 45's I had a Colt Defender a while back and it was not as bad as one would think...
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Kimber Compact 45ACP with Ed Brown saftey and ChipMcCormick extreme beavertail grip saftey, new NOVAK adjustable trituim nightsights.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#19]
The smallest thing I carry is a 9mm, but I often carry a Glock 20 and an XD357 Sig.  The XD rides in a FIST #20.  The big Glock is hard to conceal so it stays in the truck, until the weather gets cooler, and I can hide it with a jacket. I will carry a Glock 23 sometimes, but I've grown partial to the big Glock and the XD series.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#20]
XD-40 loaded with 11 Speer Gold Dot 180 gr.
Lately ive been using my Thunderwear since its still hovering around 100 and shorts and t-shirt are usual daily wear.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I would stick with one gun so as you are used to the operations of it under stress.I guess a compact and full-size would also work.I carry a full-size 1911 in a Summer Special all the time.It gets hot here and I am still able to conceal it under a t-shirt.I'd really like to try one of those VM-2's.They look like they'd be alot more comfortable being so spread apart.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I generally carry a Kahr P40 and a P3AT in a pocket holster as a backup gun.  I really think a P40 is just about a perfect carry gun.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Your first concern should be useability.  By that I mean both reliability and ease of use.  The gun has to go bang everytime, and you have to be able to make the gun go bang everytime and hit something with it.  All else, caliber stopping power, concealability, etc are secondary.  I'd rather carry a gun that ran 100% with FMJs, than a gun that didn't with JHPs.

Don't worry too much about numbers and statistics (within reason of course), just get something you can use well.  

I've carried both the guns you mentioned, and they were fine.  To me it makes sense to have a backup be the same controls as the main gun, or go with a wheel gun.  You don't have to think too much with one of those no matter how different your main gun is.

Ross
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I carry a Glock 26 with night sites.  Small enough to conceal fairly easily and has 10rnds of 9mm.  Its a Glock so you know it will bang every time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I just picked up this USP .45 Compact SS

I have been carrying a USP .45 Full-size for 5 years.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I generally carry a Kel-Tec .32 on those rare occasions when I feel the need to carry anything at all.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Glock 26 in a Sidearmor IWB for Summer carry and deep concealment, and a Glock 19 in a Fobus for winter carry. Both are equiped with Gold Dot 124s. Both have been extremly dependable. Not a jam in either.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Instead of the .380, how about a 9mm that is the same size?  The Smith CS9 comes to mind as well as the baby Glocks.  I carry a Smith 457 .45 everyday and it is comfortable, not as comfortable as something smaller like a pocket .380, but then again when it is something I am betting my life on, I am willing to sacrifice that slight amount of comfort for performance.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#29]
>>My mode of thinking is that of carrying a gun at all times is a pain in the ass especially if the size and weight of the weapon works against your wardrobe (hot temps) Night on the town ect.... Carrying a smaller lighter weapon at all times may be easier than a large heavy one especially if you have a smaller stature.<<

Good thinking.  A gun that you will always have with you is better than the uber-gun that you don't have when you need it.  Far more crimes have been thwarted with inadequate caliber mouseguns than with big fighting guns.  Find a gun that is comfortable to you and your wife, and that you like to shoot.  The badguy will not care what caliber it is, or how big it is.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#30]
First and foremost I am going o t have to quote Ayooub ( cant spell it) "A gun is soposed to be comforting not comfortable."  The weapon should be of substantial caliber. This is because real life is not like Hollywood, people rarely fall down when they have been shot the first time.  The larger the entrance wound the more blood can exit the body through it.  When enough blood leave sthe body the blood preasure drops and so does the assaliant.  I recomend carry a .45 that is a compromise between size and concealability.  Don't compromise with your life.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Of the handguns I own, about the ONLY one I don't carry concealed is my S&W .357-just too big to hide. Though I occasionally carry a full-sized SA 1911A1, Browning HiPower or Beretta 92FS, the weapon I carry concealed most is a SIG P239 in .40S&W, in a CCW fannypack. Cooler weather here in AZ allows me to carry larger handguns when I can wear a jacket or something to cover it, but most of the time it's the SIG in a fannypack. Though I trust the 9MM and .40, you just can't beat a .45 if you can carry one, but I'll have to admit I enjoy the DA/SA of the SIG and Beretta more than the stricly SA of the HiPower or 1911A1.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Beretta 9000s type D in 40S&W
Taurus 605 in 357 magnum

switch off
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#33]
My pistol of preference is a Glock 19.  Reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, one trigger pull, light in weight, and carries a healthy payload (with standard capacity magazines).

Occasionally, I'll carry a 1911, but I always find myself coming back to the G19.

Try one, if you haven't already...You'll probably be impressed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Former off-duty gun was a Sig 220 in a Safariland 328 holster.

I then found a brand new Smith and Wesson 4013TSW (without rail) for only $500 so I snatched it up and carry that in a Gould and Goodrich three-slot (unsure of model number).

I got sick of carrying that Sig because it felt as though my kidney was relocating.  I don't notice quite as much discomfort with the Smith but it does get bothersome at times.  The Sig was flat while the Smith is a little chunkier.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I mostly carry a SW CS9.  When wearing a jacket or larger untucked shirt I wear an HK USPc in 357SIG.  I really like the SW for it's size and weight, it rests in a Milt Sparks VM2 which is an excellent holster.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Colt CCO customized by yours truly:

- Stock 4.25" bbl, stainless
- Stock Al-alloy frame, black anodized
- Stock slide, matte stainless
- Wilson extended, narrow thumb safety, stainless
- Wilson slide stop, stainless
- Wilson high-rise beavertail, stainless
- Wilson mainspring housing, 30 LPI checkering, stainless
- Wilson pin kit, stainless
- Wilson bbl link, stainless
- Wilson 20lb Commander recoil spring
- Wilson allen-head grip screws, stainless
- Wilson OM 7rd mags, stainless
- Wolff +5% mag springs
- Dlask double-adjustable trigger, magnesium stirrup and titanium bow
- DGR Elite Series mag catch, stainless
- Mag catch spring, stainless (generic)
- Caspian Series 80 extractor, stainless
- Firing pin stop, stainless (generic)
- EGW match bbl bushing, stainless
- Rosewood stocks, checkered

I need a digital camera so I can show her off more.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I carry a Glock 19 whenever I carry.  I'm a t-shirt and jeans or t-shirt and shorts kinda guy (untucked).  I find the BEST place to conceal for me is damn near small-of-the-back with my Milt Sparks VMII.  I carry it full of 15 124gr +P Speer GDHPs, with a spare 15 on my weak side.  For some reason, I can't conceal the pistol well when I wear in the 5 o'clock position.  The butt likes to stick out (maybe I'm too much of a fatass)
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/065227.JPG

Kimber Compact 45ACP with Ed Brown saftey and ChipMcCormick extreme beavertail grip saftey, new NOVAK adjustable trituim nightsights.

Theres something just not right about carrying a gun that cost $800 and still requires a paper clip for disassembly. :P
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Glock 30, trijicons, Blade Tech paddle.

"the largest gun you can conceal in the biggest calibre you can control'
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/065227.JPG

Theres something just not right about carrying a gun that cost $800 and still requires a paper clip for disassembly. :P

huh?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:07:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I believe he is speaking of the need to use a paper clip (or other tool that will fit in the hole) to disassemble some 1911s that use full length guide rod.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:04:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Beretta 9000s type D 40S&W

Taurus 605 5 shot 357 magnum
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#43]
The posters have given good choices. I am from the smaller is better camp. I usually carry a Kahr K40 but I feel well armed with a Kahr 9mm or S&W M 457. Make sure you buy a good holster and belt that are designed for carry. Regards, Richard:D
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Liability issues dictate that if you can run away, you have no business using a gun. So if you need to use it, you will be close, 7-20 feet, most likely. And you can only use a gun to afford you the opportunity to get safe or get away. If you have put down your assailant and he's not moving, you can't empty the other 15 rounds into him/her and expect a jury at your wrongful death trial to be sympathetic.

How big a gun do you need? No matter what gun you are carrying, you will double tap an auto. Even from the lowly .380, two rounds will likely be enough.

The PPKS is still a very easy gun to carry, is very reliable and easy to shoot, and, chances are you won't be facing any Moro warriors (or whoever 1911 was designed to stop).

Any of the smaller 9's would be fine too, especially with light loads.

There are plenty of nice +P revolvers, that are small and easy to carry. Don't use fancy 'penetrator' bullets or the like. Again, liability issues.

Above that, .40's are strong but overpenetration will be an issue. Remember, you will be getting sued, probably by multiple persons. You may even injure someones hearing, or so they will say.

This is an area where you, as a civilian) want to you the least amount of gun. Try explaining to the jury why you felt the need to carry a hand cannon rather than a smaller defensive weapon. Wanting to be like Dirty Harry will not be a good answer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, I might as well toss in my 2 cents

As (I think) you said, CCW is often a compromise -- If I had my drothers, I would carry my Benelli with 9 slugs at all times, but oh well.

I figure you can carry in your front pocket, or on the waist -- for front pocket, it has to be relatively small to not look like you have a gun in your pocket.  I use this -- very reliable accurate and easy to carry.  First pic is of the 32 which my wife stole from me, but I carry the 380 ... see second pic for size comparison.  They are NAA's.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#46]
I have been carring a S&W 642 airweight for a long time without a complaint yet.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:17:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Right now, I have a Bersa Thunder .380 that will be my primary, because the way I dress would only permit a small pistol.  Occasionally, I could pull off concealing a full size 1911, but I'd be more comfortable with a smaller pistol.

However, I have found and become interested in a different small pistol.  The Star BM in 9mm.  A scaled down 1911 in 9mm Parabellum.  Cost around $150.  Reliability is the big issue.  Some people have had ones that have no problems, but some can't shoot 30 rounds without an FTE.  So, $150 ain't bad for a neat little pistol.  If it WORKS and is RELIABLE, then I'd consider carrying it.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:03:07 AM EDT
[#48]
I carry a Kimber Ultra Compact SS most of the time. Here in Florida, the weather is warm most of the time so a fanny is the compromise. Lots of folks use them here so it doesn't scream too loud. Evenings call for a sport coat when appropriate and I can carry either the Beretta or Kimber. The Kimber is the same size as my buddy's 380 and VERY accurate. At 20 feet or so, accuracy of the Beretta and Kimber are about the same. I like to practice hitting a 6 inch pie plate (cheapy target). Both "fit" nicely in my hand. Weight is not much of an issue. The Kimber "hides" easier for sure. Looking for a shoulder rig and IWB holster now. Bought the Kimber used. The Beretta was a gift from Dad so I will keep it till the cows come home. I did have to "break in" the Beretta. Initial accuracy was not good. After 500-700 rounds, it tightened up nicely. I did a three gun match here this year (my first) and was impressed with the difference in target reactions between the 9mm and .45. Bowling pins seemed to go over much faster with the 45. Other "reactive" targets reacted MORE with the 45s. Makes sense.
So, I bought the Kimber. No failures ever with the Beretta. It shoots everything. The Kimber will not feed some 165gr and 185gr HPs so I shoot 230gr HP & ball. Oh well. I put the Hogue wrap around grips on both weapons. Very comfortable.
They "stick" to your hand. control is great. Same grip position every time.

Practice practice practice. Don't count on stopping power. Count on accurace repetitious placement (my buddy says slidelock). Did I mention practice?

Get what feels good in your hand. I shoot my Dad's Glock pretty well (laser sight and all) but it feels like a brick to me. Tried a few others. Most are ok. The Desert Eagle was nice. Easy to shoot. Try everything you can get your hands on. Most folks will let you try them out.
I have an old Ruger Redhawk that is VERY accurate but not much fun to shoot with the current grips (note to self: get another grip).
Back to lurker mode.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Glock 23, IWB.  Reliable, simple, good size, good round.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#50]
For me it's a Sig 226 in 9mm or a Kimber Eclipse 5" in .45.  Someday I'll get the Kimber 3" Eclipse and carry that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top