Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 7:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 7:09:57 PM EDT by Dissident]
Okay, after rediscovering life without the 1911 pretty much sucks gunwise, I have ordered a LB TRS. I special ordered it without front slide serrations. 10-12 weeks to go. Anyhoo, I am also looking to get a target style 1911 and for some reason, I keep looking at the STI Rangemaster. Not the most tactical or beautiful of guns, but it is sort of cool looking to me. Does anyone own one? What can you tell me about them or STI 1911s in general...the good, the bad, and the ugly. Accurate? Reliable? Are the frames forged or cast? etc.

It's either the STI or LB Premier II unless anyone has another suggestion for a gun under $1500. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:35:57 PM EDT
I didn't know STI made complete guns? If so, they should be top notch as their frames were considered very nice.

If the gun hasn't been completely made by STI, buyer beware.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:54:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 12:05:48 AM EDT by Variablebinary]
they are too expensive

In all seriousness, STI are hugely popular among my friends that compete. They are known to be accurate and well build. I shot the STI Duty one model and it felt really smooth and well balanced.

Recently though the Springfield's TRP has become all the rage that everyone seems to be wanting one or talking about one at my regular ranges
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:41:58 AM EDT
I own two STIs and have ordered a third. If you list the parts alone they are an excellent deal, not even counting the fitting. Everyone I've had or used needed the trigger tuning but trigger weight/travel is a personal thing and I've never owned any gun that didn't need trigger work.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:38:08 AM EDT
they're overpriced 1911s

J
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:51:03 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies. Too many choices out there anymore. SA TRPs are very, very nice pistolas. I don't like the fact that when spending that much there are MIM parts in there, but fit and finish is superb. Don't care for Kimbers anymore with the Series II safety and external extractor, however it does sound as though Kimber has the kinks worked out in that department so I may have to revisit one. But again, MIM parts. Wilsons are out of my league right now, as are Browns, Nighthawks, and RRA. The local shop does have a very nice used Kimber Custom Classic for about $550 that I've been considering. I think that I could pick it up and send it away for some nice touches and still be under $1000. I don't know...just thinking out loud. Again, thank you all.
Top Top