Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/28/2006 3:59:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2006 7:49:18 AM EDT by h8mtv]
I want to spray my Gunners O.D. What can I spray on them that will hold up?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:28:37 AM EDT
Gunners?!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:49:04 AM EDT
Gunner grips. For a 1911.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:32:46 AM EDT
Nothing is going to hold up. Spray paint will rub off especially on gunners because of their aggressive texture. The raised areas are very sharp and therefore have little surface area to hold paint. These will wear off the first time you shoot. Clearcoat will not help for the same reason. The best bet is to try to dye them. I've never done it, but there are members here who have. I've never seen any of the results in person, so I don't know how well they turned out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:38:00 AM EDT
Just two little cents. If your are fixing to spray 1911 gunner grips with paint please do not. I would sell them and get some OD grips. However if you are going to (I believe in privite property rites) I would use Alumahyde 2 and do not touch them for a month after they are sprayed and you should be OK provided you preped them properly. I normaly use MEK to clean the surface but that would most likely melt your grips. I would try Rubbing Alchohol and after you wiped it down with that wipe it down with clean dry white cheese cloth. Oh Ya I would try it on something else plastic first to see how it holds up. If you realy can not let it set for a month please let it set for at least two weeks or you will screw the finish up for sure. Alumihyde 2 dries nice and hard but it takes a while. You can buy in in a can from brownells. You couls use a back on finish but I would be leary of putting my grips in an oven.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:58:16 AM EDT
I've heard of people using RIT dye to color them but have NO first hand knowledge of this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:59:05 AM EDT
what color are yours currently?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:03:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By j-fonz:
I've heard of people using RIT dye to color them but have NO first hand knowledge of this.

Mine were light desert tan, tried RIT dark green. They came out a beautiful chocolate brown. Really looks good, if you like brown. My grips are actually Kimber Warrior grips, same material as Gunners I believe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:48:52 AM EDT
This thread is funny.

The first tan gunners to go on the ICQB were actually painted. Hell, even the ICQB in the SWAT article had painted grips. Paint will work fine, they just won't look new for long.
Top Top