Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:49:37 AM EDT
Yes, I realise that Glocks are indestructable.  But what are the most likely parts to break?  What should I keep on hand?  I have a bunch of spare mags so I'm interested in extra pistol parts I should have.  I use my Glock for CCW/SHTF and have night sights already.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.littlegun.be/arme%20americaine/colt/colt%2045%201911a1%20mk4%20series%2080-01.jpg

LOL.  I actually recently put together a 'parts kit' for my Colt:  extra firing pin, Wolff springs, etc.  I just need the same thing for my Glock.  I keep spares for my 1911, AR, AK and Makarov already.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've broken three parts on my glocks over the course of many 10's of thousands of rounds.  I broke the takedown latch spring, and the large trigger pin on my 29, and the trigger bar on my 21.  I've got an armorer friend that hooked me up with a new trigger bar.  On the old one the verticle extension that depresses the firing pin plunger broke off.  He said that's only the second one he's ever seen.  Interestingly, on the range after I diagnosed the failure I took out the FP safety plunger and the gun worked fine.  On the 29, the latch spring broke during a match, when I complied with the unload and show clear command the slide slid off into the dirt.  The pin on the 29 failed but I didnt know it till I took it apart to clean it.  

You'll also hear about failures of the trigger return spring, but I've never had one of those.  

So If I were going to put together a kit, I'd have a striker, trigger return spring, pin set, and latch spring.  Although, when you look at the cost, you could put together a kit with ALL the internal parts for about 50 bucks and it wouldent be any bigger D battery, so why not go that way.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Ammo.  Glocks are always turning ammo into brass.  Huge problem.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+eleventy billion
but seriously a tac light is a good add on. I haven't broken anything on my Glocks yet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, that would make a good tag line:

Glock, turning ammunition into brass since 1963.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey, that would make a good tag line:

Glock, turning ammunition into brass since 1963.

1963?  Did they make them out of bakelite back then?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I had to look that up on Glock's website. I think the G17 was introduced around 1980 or so, I have no idea what they built before then, but the company claims to have been fooounded in 1963.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.littlegun.be/arme%20americaine/colt/colt%2045%201911a1%20mk4%20series%2080-01.jpg

Yes, it would make a good hammer to tap the pins out of a GLOCK.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it would make a good hammer to tap the pins out of a GLOCK.

You'd probably end up cracking the fragile frame on the 1911.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I had to look that up on Glock's website. I think the G17 was introduced around 1980 or so, I have no idea what they built before then, but the company claims to have been fooounded in 1963.

Im not sure but ive heard from several people that Gaston Glock made washing machine parts before firearms. I know that sounds stupid but like i said ive heard from several others. It actually sounds dumb but who knows. Im sure if he did it was a hell of a washing machine.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:07:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a chipped extractor on a second generation G17 but the gun still worked 99%. The trigger return spring is among the most frequent problems, slidelock and spring plus slide release spring are parts that also go wrong.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:30:38 AM EDT
[#14]
You will need a Good Backup gun for when it goes KABOOM!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you sure you don't want a Glock to back-up the 1911? Are you talking from experience or are you just an internet parrot?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe there was a vendor here who posted the same question a while back, and was looking to stock up on Glock parts, and even offer a spring kit to bring your gun back to fighting form.  I wish I could remember who that was.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I've broken the trigger return spring on my G19. (Replaced)
My brother had a very odd wearing recoil spring assembly on his G17.  The spring had nearly eaten half way through the plastic guide rod. (Replaced w/ new assy)
I dropped my G21 and bent the slide stop, it broke when I tried to straighten it out. (Replaced)
My locking block busted on my G22.  It's the steel piece that the trigger & locking pin goes through.  The front leg broke off. (Replaced)
My dad broke one of the pins on his G23.  Can't recall which one it was either trigger pin or the locking block pin. (Replaced)
My dad has replaced his magazine springs a couple of different times on his G23. (Replaced)
From overly zealous cleaning sessions, I've fudged the plastic slide cover prying it off from the back of the slide.  While it hasn't functionally altered my Glock, it does nag me.

If a person doesn't have metal sights, might want an extra couple sets of plastic ones for the odd drop or if your front sight strikes an overhead obstacle during recoil.

If I were super worried about parts damage, my Glock first aid kit would include:

A complete set of pins. (Trigger housing pin, trigger pin & recoil lug pin)
Trigger return spring.
Magazine springs.
Replacement sights. (If outfitted w/ plastic type)
Recoil spring assembly.
Complete slide stop w/ spring. (The spring is easily bent if incorrectly assembled)
Locking block.
Slide cover plate.
Possibly a spare extractor they're cheap & that'd be one spot for routine wear to show up readily IMHO.

That'd about do it.  I find it reassuring that Glock replacement parts are "drop in" ready, dirt cheap and take nothing more than simple tools w/ minimal time to replace.

Sly
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've broken the trigger return spring on my G19. (Replaced)
My brother had a very odd wearing recoil spring assembly on his G17.  The spring had nearly eaten half way through the plastic guide rod. (Replaced w/ new assy)
I dropped my G21 and bent the slide stop, it broke when I tried to straighten it out. (Replaced)
My locking block busted on my G22.  It's the steel piece that the trigger & locking pin goes through.  The front leg broke off. (Replaced)
My dad broke one of the pins on his G23.  Can't recall which one it was either trigger pin or the locking block pin. (Replaced)
My dad has replaced his magazine springs a couple of different times on his G23. (Replaced)
From overly zealous cleaning sessions, I've fudged the plastic slide cover prying it off from the back of the slide.  While it hasn't functionally altered my Glock, it does nag me.

If a person doesn't have metal sights, might want an extra couple sets of plastic ones for the odd drop or if your front sight strikes an overhead obstacle during recoil.

If I were super worried about parts damage, my Glock first aid kit would include:

A complete set of pins. (Trigger housing pin, trigger pin & recoil lug pin)
Trigger return spring.
Magazine springs.
Replacement sights. (If outfitted w/ plastic type)
Recoil spring assembly.
Complete slide stop w/ spring. (The spring is easily bent if incorrectly assembled)
Locking block.
Slide cover plate.
Possibly a spare extractor they're cheap & that'd be one spot for routine wear to show up readily IMHO.

That'd about do it.  I find it reassuring that Glock replacement parts are "drop in" ready, dirt cheap and take nothing more than simple tools w/ minimal time to replace.

Sly

Thank you!  Where is the best place to buy parts?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Spare springs and extra mags.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I NEVER had the need to keep parts for my glock. EVER. The freakin thing just works.

As for 1911, I keep the customer service phone number of Colt and Springfield handy on my speed dial. That's my backup.

$100 says my glock is more reliable than any of your 1911 out of the shelf.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#23]

By C-4: Where is the best place to buy parts?

I'm probably not the best person to ask the "best" place to buy Glock parts...  I'm a bit odd as I don't enjoy mail order nor internet sales.  Sooner or later I'll wake up and take advantage of the convenience.  Until then- I have a couple of friends who work for local depts. and are certified Glock armorers.  They get me the replacement parts I need, but it usually takes time as they don't always have parts stocked plus they have real jobs and lives to attend to...

While some may find it foolish to have replacement parts on hand for a weapon that is "built like a tank" "fail-proof" etc. etc. all I can say is this:  It is as much a machine as it is a tool.  Tools seldom break, machines will wear and parts will fail.  Worse case scenario, and believe me I've been there- since they don't break/fail often the replacement parts can be a real bitch to get your hands on.  When my locking lug broke, my armorer contacted the factory and they wanted the broken locking block back as they had never heard of such a failure and were much interested in inspecting it for posterity's sake.  It took a couple of weeks before I was up and running again.  This was not a problem for me as my original "spare parts kit" consisted of my complete backup G22. Lesson learned:  If you can breath easy, store hard.  Get the parts you might need to ensure *if* something happens you can get up & running w/ minimal down time.

Sly
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Extra Magazines and ammo is all you'll need
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im not sure but ive heard from several people that Gaston Glock made washing machine parts before firearms. I know that sounds stupid but like i said ive heard from several others. It actually sounds dumb but who knows. Im sure if he did it was a hell of a washing machine.

It's true, he made furniture to.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had both glock's and 1911's.  I love both.  If I knew I had to fight with a gun, I'd pick up my AR-15.  The glock would be a distant 3nd to my shotgun.  The 1911 would be left in the safe  (not a bad gun, but I've had more problems with 1911's than I have with glocks/rem 870/ar-15.)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've had both glock's and 1911's.  I love both.  If I knew I had to fight with a gun, I'd pick up my AR-15.  The glock would be a distant 3nd to my shotgun.  The 1911 would be left in the safe  (not a bad gun, but I've had more problems with 1911's than I have with glocks/rem 870/ar-15.)

And no one here will disagree that you need a rifle in a fight.  The Glock is a back-up sidearm in case your rifle takes a crap in the bed.  I've taken carbine courses where you transition to your sidearm depending on the situation.  Fun stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top