Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 4:17:39 PM EDT
I am new to handguns, and just got a new G30.  I am going to take a couple training courses after March but would like some good reading material to get me going between now and then. What books have you found to be the best / most informative? Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Im no expert but if I were you I'd spend the money on practice ammo.  Practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Im no expert but if I were you I'd spend the money on practice ammo.  Practice makes perfect.

No it does not: Perfect practice makes perfect! Practice with bad form, mistakes etc just burns into muscle memory thoose mistakes and makes unlearning them and learning the right way take more time and more repetitions. Lots of years in Kung Fu taught me that.

I shoot about 100-150 rounds a week. I think I will have to start reloading soon. I have a Paladin Press catalog, and there are a tonn of books in there but I don't know which are good and which are not......
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
"Surgical Speed Shooting" by Andy Stanford is one of the best books. Kelly McCann's pistol videos are are also excellent.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0873648641/102-3599176-3136930?v=glance&n=283155

I have the Tactical Pistol and like it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Shooting a handgun is like playing a piano . Anyone
can learn the how to do it , but few will ever master it ,
No matter how much they try . It's the same with anything
that involves a motor skill .

The best advice I can give you , is the same advice I got .

Read the books , any books . Then shoot as often as you can .
When you can reliable hit what your aiming at , spend the money on
instructed class .  Keep your mouth shut and your ears open .

Everything you hear and see in a class won't apply to you , but
you should pick up some things you can incorporate into your style .
Because that's what it is . Your style , dictated by your talent .
As long as you see improvement , your doing good . Even if there
is no name for your technique .

Lastly . Don't confuse tactics with shooting skills . They are two
different things . Tactics are pretty much hard and fast rules that
apply equally to everyone . Good tactics allow you to use your shooting
skills without allowing your target to do the same to you

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:32:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"Surgical Speed Shooting" by Andy Stanford is one of the best books. Kelly McCann's pistol videos are are also excellent.

Andys book is great and helped me a lot with speed.  Also Brian Enos' book "Practical Shooting-Beyond Fundamentals" is great as well as the book by Saul Kirsch "Thinking Practical Shooting".

I used to think the Enos book was all bullshit etc with the Zen talk.  But after shooting USPSA for a year and shooting a lot I can now see what he's talking about, with a lot of good practice I'm shooting at the subconcious level where concious thought isn't required to shoot well, it's kinda like driving a car.  You just do it without much thought.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
The Matt Burkett video is very good and also the Brian Enos book after you learn the basics.
Also download the Army Marksmanship manual..Excellent, and its free..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top