Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 10:32:41 PM EST
Looking to correct the sear angle on a new build. I admit I haven't really shopped around or know much about the subject. All I know if my sear and hammer have the wrong contact angle. What are some cheap usable jigs and stones to do the job my self?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:42:17 PM EST
No clues as I haven't done one. Yet one of this guys videos should answer you question. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzhEsYvl_CcT6toiX4R7RYA
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:05:02 AM EST
I have used the Ed Brown jig, which is available from Brownells. I've used Brownells stones with the jig. The Jig is not too expensive, the stones are a bit pricey. But, the quality of the stones is outstanding and probably necessary for getting a satisfactory job. In particular, the surfaces of the stone are square and perpendicular to each other -- a requirement for squaring the hammer hooks prior to doing the sear.

I would recommend this set-up to you and would buy it again myself if necessary.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:28:26 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RugRat:
I have used the Ed Brown jig, which is available from Brownells. I've used Brownells stones with the jig. The Jig is not too expensive, the stones are a bit pricey. But, the quality of the stones is outstanding and probably necessary for getting a satisfactory job. In particular, the surfaces of the stone are square and perpendicular to each other -- a requirement for squaring the hammer hooks prior to doing the sear.

I would recommend this set-up to you and would buy it again myself if necessary.
View Quote
Thanks. Ordered it last night.
Top Top