Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/3/2005 11:23:42 AM EDT
Im trying to learn more about 1911's and read about these MIM's in an SA thread.

What are they and whats the debate about them?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:44:51 PM EDT
injection molded

supposedly not as robust as forged parts that are machined to fit
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:56:37 PM EDT
Metal injection molding is a form of casting where the liquified metal is injected into a form instead of regular gravity casting. It helps reduce the problem of air pockets found in regular "dump the sh*t in" gravity castings and aids in over all consistency.

It's still no substitute for forging though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 2:47:12 PM EDT by SGB]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:57:57 PM EDT
I thought it meant Made In Malaysia
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:59:37 PM EDT
Ok I understand, I figured it was some kind of casting.

Why do companies cast and not forge metal? Cheaper?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:00:07 PM EDT
A lot of die-hard 1911 fans replace all the MIM stuff in their pistols as many of the manu's use them for small parts like safety's etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:00:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:
Ok I understand, I figured it was some kind of casting.

Why do companies cast and not forge metal? Cheaper?

That's what I've been told. Consistent and cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:19:49 PM EDT
I knew something didn't sound right there.

The way I see it, why take the risk of inaccurate casting issues when you can get quality forgings that are readily available. There are plenty of good cast pistols I trust. I just trust and prefer forgings more.

Here's a quick copy and paste from Kimber's website.

"Metal injection molding is a technique for producing high density metal parts by processing powdered metal through conventional plastic injection molding machines. The powdered metal is first mixed with plastic binders, and vegetable oil. The three ingredients are heated and then cooled. Once the solidified material is granulated to a form suitable for feeding into an injection molding machine. A “green” part emerges from the mold in a soft pliable state. At this stage it is 18% oversize due to the presence of the binding materials.

The debinding operation varies from process to process but generally it is performed either in a solvent or vacuum furnace. There are generally some other iterations which are proprietary to each developer. Following the debinding is the sintering operation which is done in a vacuum or atmospheric furnace at high temperatures.

Complexly configured parts can be produced which have good dimensional qualities, very dense structure with inherently high tensile strength. MIM parts also have excellent surface finish requiring minimal polishing in most applications. The latter feature is very advantageous in the making of high end guns because the less polishing there is to do, the less likelihood there is of losing the lines of a part. Investment castings which require a lot of polishing can easily be deformed from a cosmetic standpoint."

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:25:15 PM EDT
The kimber failures I've seen have been due to MIM parts - on unimportant stuff like safetys (seen two snap in half)
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:15:07 PM EDT
I was having FTF problems with my kimber warrior when I bought it, and was going to send it back to the manufacturer. But read about the 500 round count. So waited and just shot the hell out of the pistol. Now it seems to be running like clock work. Still don't know if I need to any MIM parts in the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:41:49 PM EDT
MIM=sintered
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:28:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
MIM=sintered

Pretty much, Colt made the guts of the trooper mark III out of sintered metal if I remember right. If I remember correctly they were NOT all that well received once the word got out how the guts were made. I had one and while it was an accurate weapon I was not trusting of the sintered metal bits. Saw to many sintered parts break at inoportune times in other stuff. ALWAYS a fracture type break. I would not have a MIM safety in a .45, period, no matter what if it was used in a self defence capacity. I have seen 2 break. They just snapped. Was not reassuring. In a non stress area I have no problem with it whatsoever.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:30:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
MIM=sintered

Pretty much, Colt made the guts of the trooper mark III out of sintered metal if I remember right. If I remember correctly they were NOT all that well received once the word got out how the guts were made. I had one and while it was an accurate weapon I was not trusting of the sintered metal bits. Saw to many sintered parts break at inoportune times in other stuff. ALWAYS a fracture type break. I would not have a MIM safety in a .45, period, no matter what if it was used in a self defence capacity. I have seen 2 break. They just snapped. Was not reassuring. In a non stress area I have no problem with it whatsoever.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:58:56 AM EDT
I had an MIM piece break on my warrior---the pistol is now out haveing every MIM piece replaced right now. When my MC operator comes back from springfield it is going out for the same treatment.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:46:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By biga_mn:
I had an MIM piece break on my warrior---the pistol is now out haveing every MIM piece replaced right now. When my MC operator comes back from springfield it is going out for the same treatment.

Care to specify which piece broke?

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:34:36 PM EDT
If it is a NON carry gun - so what? The worst thing that will happen is that it takes a dump in the middle of a match - if you have a spare (same set up) and your match director isn't a tight wad you go to plan B or you go home.

If it is a carry gun that is a whole new ball game.

The MIM failures that I have seen (5) stop the gun; slide stops and ignition parts - you now have a medium sized rock when you needed a gun.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:40:51 PM EDT
Even forgings break (not my gun)

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:11:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Face_N_The_Crowd:
If it is a NON carry gun - so what? The worst thing that will happen is that it takes a dump in the middle of a match - if you have a spare (same set up) and your match director isn't a tight wad you go to plan B or you go home.

If it is a carry gun that is a whole new ball game.

The MIM failures that I have seen (5) stop the gun; slide stops and ignition parts - you now have a medium sized rock when you needed a gun.

Good luck

Reason and logic will get you nowhere.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:37:53 PM EDT
Can we discuss who's mags are better: Wilson or McCormick next?

So MIM parts are known to have more frequent failures than forged ones. I'll pass on the higher probability of failure. So ask yourself what you are comfortable with. Whatever your answer is, live with it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:06:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RiftWeaver:
Can we discuss who's mags are better: Wilson or McCormick next?

So MIM parts are known to have more frequent failures than forged ones. I'll pass on the higher probability of failure. So ask yourself what you are comfortable with. Whatever your answer is, live with it.

You pot stirrer! I knew I liked you for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:32:56 AM EDT
CMC unless I get a smokin deal on wilson mags the part did break on my carry gun, thus the over haul
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:16:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dace:
Even forgings break (not my gun)

209.200.17.142/images/Copy%20of%20broken%20Springfield%20slide.JPG

Sure do, notice the porosity of the metal at the break, that was a seriously defective slide.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:55:49 AM EDT
Colt uses MIM sears that are reported to be pretty damn good. Some noted 'smiths leave the Colt sears in, but in Springers and Kimbers, they trash them because of the lack of quality.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:40:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rob96:
Colt uses MIM sears that are reported to be pretty damn good. Some noted 'smiths leave the Colt sears in, but in Springers and Kimbers, they trash them because of the lack of quality.

Uh huh.
Top Top