Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/1/2006 2:31:33 PM EDT
You gotta love these "what should I get??" threads!!
But I must admit, I have been at a state of indecision for several weeks now. Will be coming into a little money soon and was thinking of buying another handgun. (Around $500 max)
Here are the confusing facts:

1. I currently own a parkerized Springfield 1911A1 and a Ruger GP100 .357 mag

2. I love the .45 acp and reload for my 1911

3. After several thousand rounds on my Springer, I want an automatic pistol to take on range trips to lessen the mileage on my 1911

4. I also want something that I keep as a truck gun, that I don't have to worry about rusting, etc. after leaving it in the cold vehicle and then bringing it indoors repeatedly (condensation) or taking it out in the rain, etc. So I would prefer something in SS or Polymer (This is why I currently take my Stainless .357 with me in the winter or during bad weather instead of my 1911)

Now, there's the facts, and here is the madness I am faced with.
I really wanted a Glock 21, but am leary after hearing of sooo many Kabooms (I know, Glock owners don't like to hear this, but there are just too many stories out there to be coincidence or an anti-Glock conspiracy!) So if I choose a Glock, I would have to go with either a G17 or G19 in 9mm (No KB's with these) and the ammo is cheap enough that I can shoot without reloading (which also contributes to the KB's)
However, I don't have alot of confidence in 9mm as a defensive round, which is why I bought a 1911 to start with. (I used to own a SS Taurus PT-92, which I really liked, but got rid of to get the 1911)
So then I look at other pistols, but don't see anything else in .45 acp I really like in the price range. I just don't like the XD pistols for some reason, HK's are cool, but too expensive for my budget. Sigs are great, but again too costly for me. I have heard alot of complaints lately about Ruger autos, and I don't really like the look / feel of them either.

So, my choices, should I get another 1911 in SS as a carry weapon and to share range duty? If I do this, I will have to nearly identical guns, which seems like a waste of "ownership opportunity" to me.
I thought about trading my current 1911 for a Stainless model, but I really wanted to keep it and get something different (BTW, my Springer is a Mil-Spec, one of the ones that was finished in the USA)
Should I just buy the G17 for the sake of adding variety to my collection? Then I could just buy cheap 9mm ammo and blast away, and then load it with some good hollowpoints for defensive roles.
I wish I could do the arfcom way, and get them both!!

Any ideas on how this gun nut can end his suffering and sleepless nights scared that I will make the wrong decision??
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:58:41 PM EDT
I would say get a Glock.....a lot of guns kaboom and it seems to be more ammo related than firearm design.

Or a better option is a used SIG.

CDNN is selling LE trade in SIG 220s for $379 FFL cost and SIG 226 9mms for $389.

Have your FFL order out one. Even with his mark up and transfer fee you will not go over your $500 budget.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:13:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:37:22 PM EDT
"but am leary after hearing of sooo many Kabooms" (sic)

G
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:54:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glock23carry:
"but am leary after hearing of sooo many Kabooms" (sic)

G

But it's true. Granted, most of the KB's are discounted as ammo related (But you don't hear of near as many "ammo related" problems with other pistols) As far as I can tell they are outstanding pistols as long as you used new factory ammo.
That is my problem, actually, I am lusting after that G21 pretty bad, but at the volume I plan to shoot it, I don't want to buy new ammo at $12 a box just for plinking purposes.
Since I can't reload .45 acp for it, then it is either a 9mm Glock, or another pistol.

I really want the Glock for fun's sake, but am leaning more towards a stainless 1911 for practicality sake. Besides, I love the way the 1911 shoots and think the Glock may be awkward for me since I am used to single action trigger.

Every time I make up my mind, something comes along and changes it again in 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:08:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chevyrulez1:
But it's true. Granted, most of the KB's are discounted as ammo related (But you don't hear of near as many "ammo related" problems with other pistols) As far as I can tell they are outstanding pistols as long as you used new factory ammo.

Do you know how many GLOCKs there are out there compared to other brands, especially in .40??? I would be willing to bet there are more .40 cal GLOCKs in the US than HK, Beretta, Smith, SIG, Ruger and Springfield .40s COMBINED.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:13:21 PM EDT
CZ 75B and a set of 9mm dies, and still have some coin left over.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:43:18 PM EDT
OK, buy another 1911 then.

Bigbore's G21 has fired over 15K rounds with little or no maintenance and he still has all his fingers. Just stop repeating crap about pistols you don't own and don't know anything about.

Particularly since you know that using the "K" word is going to get people fired up. If you want to troll, at least be creative about it.

G
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:45:45 PM EDT
I would opt for a used Sig P-226 or a 92FS. Lots of cheap shooting there, no doubt.

As for your truck gun, I would opt for a used police trade-in S&W 66/681/686 .357 revolver for around $250-275 or so. KY Imports usually has some nice choices on these, maybe look at CDNN's web site as well?

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:47:29 PM EDT
The stainless version of your 1911 would be good.

Also Sig's can be had used in good condition for a good price. Also, I dont know how you feel about S&W but they can be good truck/beater guns for a good used price.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:19:32 PM EDT
STEYR M9, same Tenifer finish as Glock, an excelent trigger, a grip made to be held by a human hand and they can still be had for about $325-$350 new.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:57:42 PM EDT
ruger p90 or p97, cz97b. those are some nice .45acp pistols.

but if you want a 9mm you can't go wrong with the cz75. they are probably the most comfortable pistols around.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:53:59 PM EDT
There is nothing wrong with the glock 9mm as a defensive round. I think the glock 17 would be your best bet. Only because you seem to want some variety in your firearms(I don't and have more 1911's). Think of it this way, you already have the best .45 (arguably the 1911) and the best 9mm (arguably the glock 17) is in your price rang new. You have 17rds of 9mm in that glock or 9rds of .45 in the 1911. Either will more than get the job done.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:47:46 PM EDT
The Kaboom thing is way overblown. A G17 would serve you great.

Another option is a sig from CDNN. Maybe a 226 in 357 sig just to be kinky.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:09:54 AM EDT
CZ 75B.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:22:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 3:23:40 AM EDT by chainshaw]
I bought a Springfield XD45 ACP and absolutely love it. The new finish is Melonite and seems to be much improved over the old finish (I personally have never had a problem with the old finish).

I have a Glock 19, so I am not a Glock hater. The Glock 21 seems to be a decent gun. The kabooms in the 21 have mostly been contributed to lead bullet reloads.

The XD has an easier grip to hang on to and has a much better angle. It also has a grip safety like a 1911 and is VERY accurate.

ETA - The XD45 ACP conceals pretty nice, too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:22:29 AM EDT
I'll be the oddball, EAA Witness in wonder finish. You pick the caliber.

[Oddball] Woof woof woof [/Oddball]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:47:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glock23carry:
OK, buy another 1911 then.

Bigbore's G21 has fired over 15K rounds with little or no maintenance and he still has all his fingers. Just stop repeating crap about pistols you don't own and don't know anything about.

Particularly since you know that using the "K" word is going to get people fired up. If you want to troll, at least be creative about it.

G

Not my intent to Troll, I am not knocking Glock in any way, in fact as I have already stated I really want a Glock. I have been reading up on them at Glocktalk, which is where I got my limited education on the KB issue. That is where I keep hearing the advice over and over to not shoot reloads in them, and if you do, not to reload them more than a couple of times.

I certainly wish that this was not the case, cause I would love to get a G21 and shoot the crap out of it with my reloads. I keep hearing that this is not a good idea though (unless you get an aftermarket barrel) I have heard a couple of people who reload for their G21's and keep reusing the brass untill the cases split. I would be interested in hearing from other's who reload regularly for the Glock as that might change my mind.

I am almost set on getting the G17 though, like BSheppard said, I want some variety in my collection.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:24:30 AM EDT
If you want a 45 try a Sig 220ST.
If you want a 9mm try a Sig 226ST.
IMO its worth saving for either of these great pistols.
Please TRY them and see for yourself before deciding..
Top Top