Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 9:37:33 AM EDT
As a newbie to hand gun collecting I was wondering if some of the more experienced and seasoned collectors could share their thoughts on what are the most sought after and desired hand guns and fire arms. These could be current day modern models, as well as antique firearms.

Also, are there any books or magazines that are grared to firearms collectors.

Hey, I have to learn somewhere.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Collecting is different for everyone. Some will collect just to have it put away and never used. Others will collect and shoot everything they own. There are sometime informal Curio & Relic shoots where you can shoot anything you want, as long as it's classified C&R.

I personally will not own anything I don't shoot. I recently sold a 1957 Smith & Wesson .44 mag when I realized it had collector value, and didn't feel comfortable shooting it. If you personally want to collect, get the things you like, not what others like.

Check out Barnes & Noble or Borders web sites and search on guns, antique guns or gun collecting to see what's available these days for publications.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:50:57 AM EDT
[#2]
That is a broad question. Judging by your name, you lean towards military weapons, I assume? I lean that way, myself. Nothing wrong with a nice "sporting" arm, dont get me wrong, but military stuff is way more interesting. Now you really have to keep up on current laws, if thats possible. Too easy to run afoul of laws that make no sense at all. You are in the learning mode, after 30+ years, I am too. I also prefer a shootable collection, but kept nearly mint. Hit some local gun shows. Prepare to be broke too, as it can get expensive! Welcome to the addiction!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top