Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2011 9:35:28 PM EDT
Were Military Issue Victory Revolvers parkerized and are Parked versions from 43-5 the most desirable of the breed ?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The "V" serial number prefix (Victory Model) did not begin until after WWII was over, celebrating the "victory" of winning WWII, to the best of my knowledge.

And yes, military issue S&W and Colt revolvers were parkerized, and like any other, wartime production, especially if U.S. Property marked, are more desireable.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, is that wrong.
There was no post-war "Victory" commemorative S&W revolver.
The Victory model S&W was strictly a war-time production revolver.

The WWII S&W Victory model had "V" serial number prefixes to keep them distinct from commercial pre-war and post-war guns.
The S&W "Victory" name wasn't stamped on the guns.  S&W simply called their war-time Model 10 "The Victory" model and used the "V" serial numbers.
Colt on the other hand called their war-time Official Police the "Commando" and actually stamped that name on the barrel, along with a special serial number range just for it.

The WWII S&W Victory revolvers were parkerized.  I'm not up on any finish variations on the Victory, but I've never heard or read anything relating to a variation in the parkerizing having any higher or lower desirability.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, thanks for correcting me.  I was just passing along bad info.

Damn internet.

If all "V" prefix M&P's are wartime production, here's one for $395.

Summit Gun Broker Victory Model
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:19:39 AM EDT
[#4]
there is a write up in the standard catalog of smith and wesson that the finish though similar in apperance to parkerizing was actually called black magic and was subject to wearing quickly. A good number of victories went thru post ww2 rebuild and were reparked then. the victories were in active service use up to the adoption of the beretta with some being used as late as desert storm (early 1990's)
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#5]
furthermore there were essentially 2 versions of the victory those chambered in 38 S&W caliber for British service usually found with 5 inch barrel or the more desirable 4" 38 special version for U.S. service,and rarely a few 2" barrel versions. As I have liseted them, this would be the order of desirability with all of them even those sent to British commonwealth countries marked U.S. property. A higher value is assigned to those marked U.S. Navy on the top strap or frame on the left side below the cylinder release
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
All Victories were sandblasted and parked.

Victories were also marked with "Property of the USMC" which in this specific case refers to the US Maritime Commission.  I don't believe the Marines specifically marked any of the Victories they recieved, officially.  I've never seen a Marine Victory on anyone but flight crew, but I'm sure they filtered out.

Victories can be found with US Navy, US Property, United States Property or no top strap marking at all.  Some mid War weapons have a GHD after the US Property, representing the inspection stamp of Guy Drewry.

Checkered grips should only be on very early specimens.

They are generally an accurate and pleasant pistol to shoot. Avoid +P loads.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
This is how they were marked. This one has been refinished at some time but it was dirt cheap. .38 S&W cal.

[/img]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
screechjet- per the standard catalog of s&w (the collectors bible on smiths) they were NOT parked- black magic finish which was found to be more fragile than parkerizing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]
AFAIK, S&W Model 10 "Victory" models were parked.  Had my hand on a couple of parked models and one that was deep blued; i have to admit, the blued one look beautiful - strong markings all around; though the grips were a little worn, but looked nice nonetheless.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
again guys current issue of the standard catalog of smith and wesson page 141 in a highlighted box :
"in previous editions we described the type of finish as parkerizing.......parkerizing was NOT used by that name on S&W revolvers, although the appearance is very similar"
next paragraph specifically states a finish called black magic similar to but NOT parkerizing
I used to think they were parked too until I read the research
the book also indicates commercial blue thru 1941 a brief period of sandblast blue starting march 42, then black magic thereafter.
many guns could have been arsenal rebuilt after the war which would result in a parkerized finish
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top